website statistics

Rowing FISA European Championships 2020

frantic13poland

3 hours ago, phelps said:

total domination by the Netherlands in Poznan with 8 Gold Medals (6 in the Olympic classes)...

only other Nation to (almost) keep the pace was Romania with 4 Gold Medals (all in the Olympic classes)...

Denmark, Germany, Ireland and Italy at least saved their faces with 1 Gold medal each in the Olympic classes...

Italy however was second overall in the medal standings with 11 medals (the same number of the Netherlands), 4 of them being Gold, thanks to the non-Olympic events...so, not a bad outcome for our team despite the many training problems of this year caused by a few injuries and by the covid protocol limitations...

Even without the gold I feel pretty satisfied. We're in a tough period with Sverri seeming like the only real contender (W4 on a good day). Several others showed pretty good progress (Fie Udby getting back to a good level and decent showings from both W2- and M2-).  Just missing the M4- back at the level they showed in the beginning. We aren't the strong rowing nation that we used to be (well, the ongoing slaughter of lightweight rowing doesn't help) but things are going the right way again.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t think that one can take anything away from this competition. It is very likely that many athletes couldn’t prepare properly. Based on the high number of corona-related deaths in the Netherlands I would assume that they didn’t have a proper lockdown there, which probably helped them to prepare better for this competition than other nations.

I agree...more in general, all of thbis year's events (in every sport) are just for themselves and don't represent a proper test for the future because of the unusual, unbalanced training conditions for the athletes all around the World...

still, it was nice to see a good rowing regatta after such a long time and I think it was important for many athletes to have such an event not to lose completely the feeling of a true contest...

On 11/10/2020 at 21:08, Agger said:

Even without the gold I feel pretty satisfied. We're in a tough period with Sverri seeming like the only real contender (W4 on a good day). Several others showed pretty good progress (Fie Udby getting back to a good level and decent showings from both W2- and M2-).  Just missing the M4- back at the level they showed in the beginning. We aren't the strong rowing nation that we used to be (well, the ongoing slaughter of lightweight rowing doesn't help) but things are going the right way again.

Slaughter of lightweight rowing? lightweight rowing is a joke, a hoax; if you've watched rowing for more than 2 days you must be able to make the difference between the level of competition in "normal" rowing and the one in lightweights, which is about a 100 times lower. lightweight rowing was made up for countries with no pedigree in this sport, so that they can brag they won some pathetic medals  

25 minutes ago, zob79 said:

Slaughter of lightweight rowing? lightweight rowing is a joke, a hoax; if you've watched rowing for more than 2 days you must be able to make the difference between the level of competition in "normal" rowing and the one in lightweights, which is about a 100 times lower. lightweight rowing was made up for countries with no pedigree in this sport, so that they can brag they won some pathetic medals  

So you’re saying you don’t like lightweight rowing?  :mumble:

On 13/10/2020 at 21:10, zob79 said:

I don’t really care whether there are lightweight rowing events or not, but I have to agree with you. Why is there lightweight rowing but for example not lightweight canoeing sprint or basketball only for people who are less than 6 feet?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 3 months later...
On 13/10/2020 at 15:10, zob79 said:

Anneta Kyridou :GRE won bronze here in the women's single sculls at age 21. She was training all year for lightweights and then in late July/early August switched back to regular rowing and within two and a half months won gold at the European U23 Championships and bronze at the senior level in Poznan.

Aikaterini Nikolaidou :GRE is another example. In 2013 and 2014 she won silver at the World Championships in the lightweight single sculls, then switched and in 2015 won silver in the women's double sculls (and then 4th in Rio 2016).

So it is possible for some of these lightweight rowers to achieve great results in regular categories too. Though both are 180cm so they aren't typical lightweight rowers I guess.

On 14/10/2020 at 15:36, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t really care whether there are lightweight rowing events or not, but I have to agree with you. Why is there lightweight rowing but for example not lightweight canoeing sprint or basketball only for people who are less than 6 feet?

That's a good point, but also we have weight categories in plenty of other sports like weightlifting, taekwondo, wrestling and others.

Personally I'd like to see heavyweight artistic gymnastics :lol: