website statistics

Rowing FISA European Championships 2020

frantic13poland

A lot of bad things are happening to our rowing behind the scenes, so I'm actually not expecting anything from Lithuania, perhaps a final for M2x

We won't even have our women's pair :( not even sure what's happening over there, perhaps one is injured, but that wouldn't explain why the other one wouldn't start in the single-sculls.

On 08/10/2020 at 10:54, Werloc said:

A lot of bad things are happening to our rowing behind the scenes, so I'm actually not expecting anything from Lithuania, perhaps a final for M2x

We won't even have our women's pair :( not even sure what's happening over there, perhaps one is injured, but that wouldn't explain why the other one wouldn't start in the single-sculls.

Both Ieva and Milda are recovering after injuries. Coaches decided not to risk their health and allow them to recover. Lina started in single-sculls since she is national champion and will be fighting for Olympic quota next year. Although Ieva participated in Baltic championships this year were she won gold in W1x and gold in W2x with Viktorija Senkutė.

total domination by the Netherlands in Poznan with 8 Gold Medals (6 in the Olympic classes)...

only other Nation to (almost) keep the pace was Romania with 4 Gold Medals (all in the Olympic classes)...

Denmark, Germany, Ireland and Italy at least saved their faces with 1 Gold medal each in the Olympic classes...

Italy however was second overall in the medal standings with 11 medals (the same number of the Netherlands), 4 of them being Gold, thanks to the non-Olympic events...so, not a bad outcome for our team despite the many training problems of this year caused by a few injuries and by the covid protocol limitations...

Very good results from the Dutch crew. But in most Olympic classes won by The Netherlands the favourites for the Olympics come from another continent:

LW2x - New Zealand

W4- - Australia

W4x - China

M2x - China

Only the M4x from The Netherlands is a favourite for an Olympic gold medal. But still we have chances for some medals :-) 

Highlight for me this weekend: the final of the skiff (M1x) with a win for Denmark and a very close finish. 

I don’t think that one can take anything away from this competition. It is very likely that many athletes couldn’t prepare properly. Based on the high number of corona-related deaths in the Netherlands I would assume that they didn’t have a proper lockdown there, which probably helped them to prepare better for this competition than other nations.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.