website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

I see one of my favorite songs all time here, but it's surely not in gaelic :d And I guess everyone sees a different song here ? It would be weired you really posted Giulio Cesare from Antonello Venditti :d

Wait what?

I see "Snow" by Angus & Julia Stone, so I would assume it could be Australian Gaelic at best.

1 hour ago, Werloc said:

Wait what?

I see "Snow" by Angus & Julia Stone, so I would assume it could be Australian Gaelic at best.

And I'm seeing Óró sé do bheatha 'bhaile by Sinead O'Connor. This is odd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sje2VYw99A

Vektor: "Send Something Interesting and Original!"

DcPbiDH.png

Vektor has enjoyed similar track record to Cobi. Two Top 10 results in as many participations, during which all previous Hungarian national records got obliterated as well. As fellow stakeholders, however, we may still be catching up with Vektor's musical compass. Maybe this interview will help put us in the right direction...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I make a nice, simple Excel sheet with all the songs listed, and as I listen to the songs for the first time one-by-one via the playlist, I make a provisional ranking of them. After that, I do a couple rounds of reevaluation with my top picks for a few days before I submit my Top12. One thing I have learned about myself over the years is that I rarely change my opinion on a song or movie after the first impression. When it happens, it's far more likely that a song goes down on the ranking than up. So if I find a song boring on the first listen, then it's pretty much done and won't come close to my Top12. 

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Well, I have participated in TISC twice so far, and both times the song that had my 12 points after the first impressions was able to keep the 1st place after a few days of reevaluation. Usually, there aren't many changes to my first provisional ranking, I am good at instantly picking up on what my preferences are when it comes to art.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: If I would have to pick one broad genre, it would probably be electronic music. But while I prefer some genres more than others, it's not like I am obsessed with one and don't listen to anything else, or that I will always give more points to one particular genre of music. I have only been part of TISC for one year, so I am not exactly sure which genres are less likely to appear. I will give you a diplomatic answer: I just hope that there will be a wide variety of genres for each contest. 

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Depends on the song. Let's use films as an analogy because I am more of a cinephile than... um, musicphile? Is there a fancy word for music nerds? Anyway, when I am watching an action movie like John Wick I won't complain about how even a 13-year-old can write the dialogue of that film, because who cares as long as the action scenes have great choreography and I am having fun. Same applies to music. I can appreciate a dumb song if it executes well what it's set out to do because not every song has to have the deepest of lyrics. But for example, I can't rate a rap song highly if the rhymes are terrible or way too obvious.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Vektor?

A: Send something interesting and original! I also always appreciate it when someone sends a song that represents the culture of their country. That's my backup plan for when I can't find a good popular song to submit. I know that, even if everything else fails and I can't compete with Western countries that have a vast talent pool in popular genres, at the very least I will always have Hungarian folk music that I can proudly submit. There won't be anything else quite like it in the contest.

If Vektor's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our new Hungarian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during his two TISC participations...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

5 hours ago, Sindo said:

I see one of my favorite songs all time here, but it's surely not in gaelic :d And I guess everyone sees a different song here ? It would be weired you really posted Giulio Cesare from Antonello Venditti :d

This is the song I originally saw :lol: 

Spoiler

One thing that I regret not mentioning in my interview, because I only started thinking about it after reading some other users interviews is that, think of it this way

The best song to send to TISC could be a song that isn't a favourite genre of anyone, something slightly obscure, or something so generic it would appeal to everyone.

For example, my favourite genre is folk and perhaps I want to hear more folk songs.

Someone sends a folk song, but I have thousands of other folk songs that I can compare the song with, because I'm heavily invested in that genre. So if you're reading the interviews and aiming to get 12 points from someone, remember that it could also be a trap :p