website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh that is cruel :yikes: 

No. Cruel is giving you a drop pretending that it's a candy, like my colleagues did to me when I arrived in The Netherlands and thought it was a nice sweet thing.

It's not.

It's an abomination that deserves to be burned :lol:

Most of expats i know hate it as well, although the eastern europeans seem to like it just like the dutch.

For clarification, this is a drop:

image.png

2 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

No. Cruel is giving you a drop pretending that it's a candy, like my colleagues did to me when I arrived in The Netherlands and thought it was a nice sweet thing.

It's not.

Most of expats i know hate it as well, although the eastern europeans seem to like it just like the dutch.

image.png

Gimme, gimme, gimme! More liquorice!

9 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

It's not.

image.png

See, @heywoodu? We share the same feeling! ?

Btw, since this contest is organized in The Netherlands, and since it has not be shown yet, I think i need to mention one of my favorite celebrations that is traditional from this place, specially because it starts tomorrow: Sinterklaas!

It's a story of a bishop that comes from Spain on a steamboat, together with some helpers, and arrives in The Netherlands in the beginning of November, with all the kids waiting for him, and then goes with his horse and gives presents to the kids on 5th December (if some part of the story is wrong feel free to correct me  @heywoodu!).

But if you are a bad kid, you will not get a present, and instead you will be put into a bag, and be sent back to Spain! (i think this was where it began the dutch fascination with Ibiza :lol:)

XzLs_W2RP3RSmm2rBUn8W3Z2AZU5Oumj0DF1o0qt

Although it generated some conflicts between the adults and controversy due to the Sinterklaas helpers (the Piets) being dressed with blackface, the kids totally love both it, both the Piets and Sinterklaas.

We love this tradition so much that, with the exception of this weird year, we went for 4 straight years to assist to the arrival and parade of Sinterklaas (and even took part in one parade, as part of my gf company segment of Amersfoort parade).

Here's a small explanation of the feast, where beyond celebrating the Sint, you eat kruidnoten, chocolate letters of your initial, and other nice things!

59 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

It's not.

image.png

Drop comes in so many forms and variaties, it's just impossible to say it's either all good or all bad :lol: 

There are kinds I very strongly dislik, whereas there are others I very much like :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

52 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

Btw, since this contest is organized in The Netherlands, and since it has not be shown yet, I think i need to mention one of my favorite celebrations that is traditional from this place, specially because it starts tomorrow: Sinterklaas!

It's a story of a bishop that comes from Spain on a steamboat, together with some helpers, and arrives in The Netherlands in the beginning of November, with all the kids waiting for him, and then goes with his horse and gives presents to the kids on 5th December (if some part of the story is wrong feel free to correct me  @heywoodu!).

But if you are a bad kid, you will not get a present, and instead you will be put into a bag, and be sent back to Spain! (i think this was where it began the dutch fascination with Ibiza :lol:)

It will be mentioned tomorrow, but since nowadays even the mention of it is so sensitive, I tried to avoid any pictures showing the sides that are most 'discussed' (not really discussed, it's really more fighting than discussing, but alright), just to avoid a sense of "omg that's so offensive!" that would make my skin crawl :p (and the whole discussion about that which has really been held enough in the Netherlands, let alone an international forum)

The story is mostly right by the way, although the most commonly told origin of the 'helpers' is that they were slaves who were bought and then immediately freed by the bishop, who (by their own choice of course) then employed them for actual payment and such.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, kungshamra71 said:

It's not.

image.png

And this is the British equivalent

10.jpg