website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

kungshamra71: "It's Just a Matter of How It Sounds"

FCLFQ8x.png

Portugal's entries are like a box of chocolate - you never know what you're gonna get. From fado to death metal and electronic scores, we have heard it all. In terms of voting, meanwhile, Portugal and its leading juror kungshamra71 proudly represent the radical anti-establishment. Only 40% of champions have scored any points from them...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I always start listening to all the songs and assign them a number, from 1 to 12 (with half points sometimes). This does not mean I assign every possible point to a song, in fact, I think only once or twice I did assign 11 or 12 points to a song in whole TISC history. 

Then, after having those points assigned, I order them and hear again the songs that are tied, to properly order then on my ranking. With the whole ranking done, the top 12 get the 12 points, obviously. 

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: It depends. I think usually there are some songs that I hear and I can say "ok, this will be probably my top!" like in the annual edition of 2016 where I heard the French, Tunisia and Algerian ones and I knew immediately they would be my top 3.

Usually, the editions where I find the quality of the songs not that good are the more difficult ones to give the 12, but never too much time.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I kind of like a bit of all genre, but my favorite I think it would be epic instrumental music and soundtracks (huge fan of Hans Zimmer and Two Steps From Hell). Also like American country music, which is unusual, I guess haha.

I don't feel the need for any particular genre on TISC, to be honest, I like mostly all types of music, it's just a matter of "how it sounds" to me.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Not much. Unless I can understand them and they are dumb enough for me to not being able to like the music without thinking about the lyrics, I don't give too much importance to lyrics.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from kungshamra71?

A: Not sure, I think I'm a bit unpredictable. I like traditional stuff, things that bring something different to what I have already listened. Well unless Germany decides to send Hans Zimmer, I think I would be giving the 12 points after 10 seconds of listening to the music.

If kungshamra71's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The resident Portuguese juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent TISC editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

titicow: "Indie Songs Have My Attention"

ZPgG0KL.png

When TISC started, Brazil recorded a shaky start to their campaign, with only one Top 10 result achieved during the first seven editions. But the wait turned out to be worth it. Four consecutive Top 6 placings came next, as well as the distinct honor of being the Jubilee hosts.

While often overlooked in vinipereira's favor, titicow is himself a long-term member of the Brazilian judging panel and TISC family in general. This interview therefore gives us an opportunity for a closer examination...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: Usually I only use the playlist order to select about 20 songs, then If necessary I listen again so I can be sure this is my Top 12.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Every competition I have a clear winner. Most of the time, I recognize 3 or 4 songs that I already enjoyed before and give them a high score.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: Indie songs usually have my attention, but I'm always open to listen to different songs, especially not the mainstream ones.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: To be fair not at all.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from titicow?

A: A lovely melody and an exciting arrangement will be enough.

If titicow's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our resident Brazilian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

Boy, did I underestimate how nerve-wracking the act of sending templates to the juries is :yikes: 

The gut-wrenching fear of accidentally sending someone else's templates and/or (the worst option) accidentally sending the whole scoreboard up to that point :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Songs which were the last to score points can and have gone on to achieve great feats such as receiving 12 pointers and even finishing in the top 10 in the overall ranking. Romania's 8th place finish at TISC Open 2019 is testament to that.

And that's Romania being weird again. :lol:

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Boy, did I underestimate how nerve-wracking the act of sending templates to the juries is :yikes: 

The gut-wrenching fear of accidentally sending someone else's templates and/or (the worst option) accidentally sending the whole scoreboard up to that point :yikes: 

Yep, that is so true. A panic only matched by those juries who had the honour of delivering a one-by-one vote finale who are destroyed by nerves in case they accidentally post the whole thing :d

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Just to add a little more reassuring perspective...

508/508 scored points

507/508 scored points from at least two juries (99.8%)

503/508 scored points from at least three juries (99.0%)

Which song and when get points from just one jury?