website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

hckosice: "More Guitars and Drums, Less Mainstream, Zero Rap"

EIykM96.png

If Slovenia has mastered diversity, you may say Slovakia did so with consistency. Indeed, it may come as a surprise that hckosice's selections have earned between 56 and 64 points during 6 of the last 7 editions! Perhaps not the ideal points range, but plenty enough to sweep the Czechoslovak Trophy. For now.

Hckosice summoned a special press-conference to discuss the Slovak voting patterns. What can we expect expect to see in Holland?

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: On the mathematical principle. Joking obviously. Easy, the song I like the most will be my number one... But if there are two, then come to the mathematical principle... Joking again...

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Again, it depends on editions. It already happened sometimes I had my 12 booked already during the 1st listening (special mention to The Cranberries). Still, many times I also had to do more listenings to decide about my twelve (I remember one edition when I was not decided about my number 1 until the very last time before the deadline).

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: Grunge, ska-punk, Hard rock. More guitars & drums, less mainstream and zero rap

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Surely they are, but it is not the most important for me.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from hckosice?

A: Basically easy, I'm from that weird little generation of the '90s. I grew up on a little harder music. So basically a few harder guitar sounds with some rhythmic drums should guarantee you excellent prospects... And if not, just write the correct IBAN.

If hckosice's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our resident tequila afficionado has outlined the following entriy as favorite during his TISC debut...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

mrv86: "Mind That the Lyrics Support the Tune"

c3HAZvr.png

Mrv86 has hosted the TISC Finals twice (or thrice, if we count the Special Event), and has lead his nation to numerous notable placings, including a podium finish at the 2016 Open.

Mexico, however, also holds an extraordinary voting record. They are the only jury who have, in 14 previous editions, awarded the maximum 12 points to 14 different nations! Can we therefore already exclude MAR, BRA, FRA, CHI, ARG, ESP, ITA, CRO, CAN, IRL, RUS, NED, ALG, AUS from the pool of potential gold medal winners...?

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I usually hear the songs individually a couple of times; from there I put them in a "mostly in" and a "mostly out", and listen to another couple of times; for each list, I select those songs which "grew" or "stayed" for another round and pick 16 entries, which then will be ranked and selected as Top 12 or reserves, which usually leaves me with a bittersweet feeling because I'd wish to award points to those sixteen.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: I can say that rarely I know the winning song from the start, but most usually my eventual pick is in the top 4 from the beginning. The only exception, if I recall was "Onaj Dan" by Antonela Doko which managed to keep number one since I first listened to it.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: Well, I do enjoy most musical genres, even if I'm a fool for pop and rock. I'd say they're a lot of genres that have never been performed at TISC, including most of Mexico's traditional music.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: I have to admit that each edition that passes, I've put less focus on lyrics. However, I do actually try to pay as much attention to the content of a song, as I always mind that the lyrics support the tune, but most importantly that the vocal performance interprets and conveys the message of those lyrics.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from mrv86?

A: There's no rule for that. All I can say to the other jurors when picking a song is avoid a terrible vocalist and anything that shows complete disrespect for anyone. Other than that, I just say I'm privileged to enjoy the entries of each edition, as they have let me know more about TISC participants and their countries.

If mrv86's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our resident Mexican juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

I've been rather busy the past two days, but both the logo and scoreboard will be presented either tonight or tomorrow :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

APELDOORN - With one and a half week to go until the 2020 Totallympics Open International Song Contest, it's about time to present the logo! The president of the host delegation found himself to be rather useless when it came to designing one, but out of warm California, much needed help came flying in. With a host delegation president who didn't really know what he wanted, @Olympian1010 still managed to come up with a good design, which he tweaked and tweaked and tweaked according to the Dutch wishes...only to basically have to go back to the first design, the president was all over the place.

All credits go to California, from where we received the following text:

The red and blue used in the logo are the same red and blue used on the Dutch flag. The notes obviously have been made to look like bees to represent the natural wonder of the Veluve. The orange text obviously represents the Dutch people and the Orange line of rulers. The logo is vibrant and full of life, like the energy surrounding the TISC. The logo was originally just an outline, all of the color was added by hand-coloring each pixel; the text was then added to the final logo.

Spoiler

80750C46-2248-4232-880E-A621D8BB0970.png

With help out of the same corner, a motto was created, which has taught the Dutch TOISC president one main thing: a deer bleats, who knew! Deer are omnipresent on the Veluwe and in it's forests, where every village has it's own church and their tolling bells multiple times on Sunday...but we are here for the music :) 

068A7ED7-5DA8-4E65-B102-4ACF2E79986A.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I can truly not thank @Olympian1010 enough, I would have been lost without his help and ended up just posting a Dutch flag probably :d