website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Delegation location 9 - Vierhouten

We go up north from Apeldoorn once again and find ourselves not very far away from Staverden in yet another small location: Vierhouten, a little and pretty quiet town in the woods. The name literally translates to something like 'four woods', most likely this name came into existence because of the four forests surrounding it.

It's a bit of a touristic place, since it's located in the forests and next to what's apparently called heathland in English. For a very long time, Vierhouten was a typical farmer's village, which lasted until somewhere in the mid-20th century. A lot of the centuries old farms disappeared, were rebuilt or burned down - basically only one, built before 1820 and possibly already in 1650, is still intact, although not really operating as a farm anymore, but as a holiday house instead.

237_1.jpeg

De Jonge Stee, the main former farm still in existence in Vierhouten

There is one main thing around Vierhouten and that has to do with relatively recent history: a few kilometers outside of town, there is the 'Hidden Village'. During the Second World War, a relatively large amount of people were hidden from the German occupiers there, including Jewish people, resistance fighters and a British pilot who was shot down not far away and escaped being caught.

Westerborkpad-Vierhouten-Nunspeet-Vierho

Entrance to one of the rebuilt living quarters in the Hidden Village

The Hidden Village, sadly, has a tragic ending, but in between all the fun stuff, I do think it's an important story to tell for history's sake: one day a young boy was getting some water, but when crossing a small opening in between the trees, a German soldier spotted him. He got some reinforcements and the hidden village was hidden no more. A total of 78 people managed to escape, but eight were caught and all of them were executed basically immediately - apart from one elderly lady, who died due to sickness. Part of the village has been rebuilt, so one can go there and enter the (rebuilt) living quarters while walking around in the forest.

monument_tongerenseweg.jpg()(43E139FE90C

Inside the forest, next to one of the forest roads, a small monument has been made for the Hidden Village inhabitants who were caught and executed in October 1944, six of them at roughly this location

To close out Vierhouten, we would like to point out there is of course not just tragedy there - otherwise we wouldn't place anyone in the town. There's a hotel which was often used by the royal family when going on their hunting vacations - not to worry, they're not doing that anymore. The main positive thing about Vierhouten is it's market in the autumn, when the new season starts for all kinds of meat - deer, boar and so on. They are majestic animals indeed, but if numbers are not controlled to some extent, the entire ecosystem is endangered, especially the boar can be...destructive.

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&

The end of summer and the beginning of autumn is an excellent time in Vierhouten!

Delegations in Vierhouten

:DEN Denmark

:MEX Mexico

:ISR Israel

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And apologies for entering a tragic tale like that of the Hidden Village into this otherwise festive event, but I really couldn't let TOISC at the Veluwe go by without giving it some attention. I've picked my bike and went there a few times and even though the village itself is really not big (there's three or four of these reconstructed living quarters I believe), walking around there really makes one think about times long gone.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 hours ago, dcro said:

VOTING POSITIONS

:ARG Argentina

1  :ISR Israel 19  :CRO Croatia
2  :DEN Denmark 20  :POR Portugal
3  :ITA Italy 21  :USA United States
4  :SLO Slovenia 22  :NED Netherlands
5  :POL Poland 23  :SRB Serbia
6  :IND India 24  :NZL New Zealand
7  :ESP Spain 25  :GER Germany
8  :MDA Moldova 26  :EGY Egypt
9  :CHN China 27  :INA Indonesia
10  :BUL Bulgaria 28  :CAN Canada
11  :BRA Brazil 29  :FRA France
12  :LTU Lithuania 30  :CZE Czech Republic
13  :IRL Ireland 31  :HUN Hungary
14  :SVK Slovakia 32  :KAZ Kazakhstan
15  :GBR Great Britain 33  :GRE Greece
16  :TUN Tunisia 34  :MEX Mexico
17  :ROU Romania 35  :MLT Malta

Team Allocation

Staverden Ghosts
1  :ISR Israel
8  :MDA Moldova
15  :GBR Great Britain
22  :NED Netherlands
29  :FRA France

Ermelo Riders
2  :DEN Denmark
9  :CHN China
16  :TUN Tunisia
23  :SRB Serbia
30  :CZE Czech Republic

Harderwijk Dolphins
3  :ITA Italy
10  :BUL Bulgaria
17  :ROU Romania
24  :NZL New Zealand
31  :HUN Hungary

Elburg Botters
4  :SLO Slovenia
11  :BRA Brazil
18  :ARG Argentina
25  :GER Germany
32  :KAZ Kazakhstan

Veluwe Vipers
5  :POL Poland
12  :LTU Lithuania
19  :CRO Croatia
26  :EGY Egypt
33  :GRE Greece

Apeldoorn Gorillas
6  :IND India
13  :IRL Ireland
20  :POR Portugal
27  :INA Indonesia
34  :MEX Mexico

Nunspeet Wolves
7  :ESP Spain
14  :SVK Slovakia
21  :USA United States
28  :CAN Canada
35  :MLT Malta

Can be this in thye first page?

Dnl: "Catchy Tune and Good Message Are the Ideal Combo"

WzBlZsr.png

We love our debuting nations, and the most recent one has been Israel, who joined us for the first time earlier this year in Croatia. Their leading juror Dnl is no novice, however. A former radio D.J., Dnl's music insights extend beyond the TISC stage. As Israel is scheduled to open up the voting proceedings in the Netherlands, we are anxious to get some sort of an idea of what to expect...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: When I listen to any entry, I use my elimination system. I listen to the song and read the entry details in the thread, and also read the lyrics if I don't understand them. Then I let it "sink in" and then go on to the next song.

I repeat this process for 3/4 days. If I still enjoy listening to a song, for me, it's a top 12.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: I need to finish my 3/4 days to truly know. Also, I tend to put the songs I like to my close ones to see and hear their reactions, it's always essential for me that they share their opinions to find my top 12-6-3, and eventually the number 1. Also, I find it helpful to put certain songs in certain situations, in order to really "feel" them.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: Even though I'm still young I had the opportunity to work at a local radio station and had my own choice of songs, so after a while, I started not to have a certain genre [type]. I really enjoy songs from the '80s, and earlier, so they are more of my "type" I guess.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: For me, lyrics are important. I find that a good combination of "catchy" tune or music, that give me a sort of feeling, and a good message are the ideal combo.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Dnl?

A: For me, the song must be a song that will get "stuck" in my head, the type you occasionally hum to yourself and the kind that I could work on my program and put in the background.

If Dnl's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The Israeli juror has outlined the following entriy as favorite during his TISC debut...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

One day following the 2020 Annual live draw - Zagreb, Croatia was hit by a destructive 5.5 earthquake

One day following the 2020 Open live draw - Croatian coastline was hit by a 4.7 earthquake, second strongest of the year

But this is TISC we are talking about, so no surprise here...

#banbestmen

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Delegation location 9 - Vierhouten

Westerborkpad-Vierhouten-Nunspeet-Vierho

Entrance to one of the rebuilt living quarters in the Hidden Village

Delegations in Vierhouten

:DEN Denmark

:MEX Mexico

:ISR Israel

I just love my location. Small, surrounded by woods :hearts: and with a link to WWII.

Thank you.