website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Votes cast. What a fantastic contest! Great selections all around. I can’t wait to see who takes home the win this time around.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

A total of 31 out of 35 nations have now voted. I have had positive responses earlier in the week from @thepharoah, @Janakis and @amen09 and today received word out of Malta that their votes are coming in either today or tomorrow morning, which is entirely fine by me. This leads me to believe there's a 99% chance of having all nations in the contest :) 

As for multi-member juries, I haven't had word yet from @LDOG, @Gianlu33 and @Olympian1010. I hope they'll vote, but if they don't, it's not a major issue in terms of countries being disqualified.

I will try to vote in time. Sadly covid and other things change all my plans.

I'm in time until the midnight, right?

2 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I will try to vote in time. Sadly covid and other things change all my plans.

I'm in time until the midnight, right?

Officially, yes, but if tomorrow morning works better, that's perfectly fine as well.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Hello everyone!

I'll be stepping to conduct the draw.

I know we'll miss @OlympicIRL, but I'll need between 3-8 volunters to help me do the picks and update the tables.

The draw will start at 19:00 CET, since I need to be quite awake and ready with everything.

Oh, and @dcro, your suggestions were heard and a part of the draw will feature a Halloween theme,

The other, well... I'll try to keep it close to the host.

Of course I'll make myself available as well.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Delegation location 8 - Staverden

In the woods around Ermelo, we find a city - although you do either have to know it's there or just happen to stumble upon it, as yours truly once did. We could list all of the inhabitants without too much hassle, since Staverden is home to only 30 people. That is not a typo: 30 people, and with that Staverden officially is the smallest city in the Benelux - it was granted city rights in 1298, the German emperor confirmed them in 1309, but around 1320 the idea of a true city was given up and so Staverden remained small...but a city.

8071fe7e-6426-4747-9740-d61329cc732c_thu

Staverden castle, which lands comprise basically the entire city of Staverden

The main reason of existence for Staverden is the castle with the same name, built around the year 1300 and rebuilt and restyled several times since those days. The local dukes used it as a hunting castle and had to keep and protect it for the count, with one of their obligations being to keep white peacocks there: the feathers were used to decorate the count's helmets - the nickname of 'White Peacock's Keep' didn't come out of nowhere. This tradition is still around, although the feathers aren't used to decorate helmets anymore, and every two years one person or organization who has meant something for the cultural and natural heritage of the Gelderland province receives a white feather.

Pauw%20Staverden%202.jpg

This is a peacock and the keen observer will have noticed that it's white

Reading this takes longer than walking through Staverden, so we'll finish up with the local legend: there's a sort of monument behind the castle, with the text 'Leonora 1353' engraved into it. According to legend, this is about Lady Leonora van Barchem, who was supposed to get married with some dude. She married someone else, but he went on a crusade and the first guy tried to swoop in and then killed her lover when he came back. Leonora went to live with her foster mom - Eleonor of Woodstock of the royal House Plantagenet, married to the local count - at Staverden and slowly withered away and died in 1353. The 'Black Lady of Staverden' is still around, according to locals, and at night one can hear her cries around the castle, a place one should avoid during the night.

Leonaras-poll.jpg?resize=1024,683&ssl=1

The stone monument for Leonora, the Black Lady of Staverden - seeing her means certain death, so get out when you hear her greet the peacocks and let out her cries of torment and sadness

Lastly, a less...eery kind of fun fact: double Olympic hockey champion Jacques Brinkman leads a brewery at the Staverden castle since 2018, where they brew De Uddelaer, named after the nearby town of Uddel. Apparently this beer is getting popular around here and one can go and get a tour from the hockey legend himself.

Delegations in Staverden

:ITA Italy

:MLT Malta

:IRL Ireland