website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

This was very good edition, with a few very good songs I really like. Our host is great, as usual. Host country is amazing and our delegation really enjoy to spend all of our free times in Amsterdam  De Wallen district, so we decide to stay there for a few months. 

BTW I just voted. Good luck to all participants, let the best song win, so see you next time in Belgrade (just joking). Hugs and kisses from Balkans 

Delegation location 4 - Elburg

We travel a little to the north of Epe, where we find the small and historic city of Elburg. Home to a little over 23.000 people, with a whopping three Olympians originating here: Anne van Schuppen (athletics, 1996), Kira Bulten (swimming, 1992) and Dick Boschman (shooting, 2000 + 2004).

Elburg is an old city: apart from ancient Roman finds around the area it was a part of the Hanseatic League in the Middle Ages. It's position at the sea made it an important trade and fishing harbour and Elburg greatly flourished in these times, as was for example shown by the fact they made some impressive defensive fortifications around the city.

In the 20th century, the sea was closed off and with Elburg now being next to a lake instead of a sea, the fishing industry - while still existing - got way smaller, due to the changes in the types of fish that could be caught. Nowadays it's mostly tourism that keeps Elburg standing, although that's not necessarily a negative thing at all.

When walking around in Elburg, one really can feel like going back to medieval times, large parts of the centuries old wall are still there, for example. A great attraction would be to go there around Christmas time to 'Winter in de Vesting' ('Winter in the Fortress'), and walk around in a cold, dark and happy little ancient town. It's just not big, but it's definitely worth it.

img_3053.jpg?resize=1000,640&ssl=1

No, it doesn't look that old, but this is the city centre with a street pattern laid out centuries ago - the church in the top left is the 14th century St Nicolas Church

image.jpg

The Vischpoort ('Fish Gate'), the only remaining gate that was built into the defensive wall half a millenium ago

house-1567871_960_720.jpg

Houses have been integrated into the city wall during the centuries

Delegations in Elburg

:CZE Czech Republic

:HUN Hungary

:ROU Romania

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

the Dutch ambassador in Bratislava has just been summoned to explain the move. :p

Wait, what did I screw up? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, what did I screw up? :d 

Nothing :d It´s just our :CZE friends returned to the competition for the first time since perhaps the derivation of the rio pecos and you have not accommodated them with us but... god forgive... with the Hungarians :d

Spoiler

Just joking ofc :d

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Nothing :d It´s just our :CZE friends returned to the competition for the first time since perhaps the derivation of the rio pecos and you have not accommodated them with us but... god forgive... with the Hungarians :d

Hide contents

Just joking ofc :d

I thought it was some political thing :lol: 

I'm still thinking about where to place Slovakia, there are two options :p 

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I guess in some hostel ? :p

Hell no, and just to be sure there won't be any saws or blowtorches nearby :p