website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Honestly I knew there's a ton of history around here, but I had no idea Ermelo's church is over a thousand years old! Makes me want to hop on my bike next week :d 

I also read, in town Garderen (11.8 km from Ermelo) is during festival Zandsculpturenfestijn. The sculptures look like they're alive. :bowdown:

>be me

>logs on to Totallympics.com

>Scrolls to Totallympics International Song Contest

>Clicks 'unread' on Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

>Reads 6 new pages, mostly about food and inside jokes

>Ate dinner because I was hungry af

>...

Okay, that was my poor attempt at a greentext meme, but if we're doing memes tonight...

By the way, I voted

1 hour ago, dezbee2008 said:

>logs on to Totallympics.com

>Scrolls to Totallympics International Song Contest

>Clicks 'unread' on Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

>Reads 6 new pages, mostly about food and inside jokes

>you're not logged in permamently? :yikes:

>you don't follow the TISC thread?:yikes:

>you don't get notifications of TISC?:yikes:

>you come here so rarely you have 6 new pages of a topic to be read?:yikes:

34 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

>you're not logged in permamently? :yikes:

>you don't follow the TISC thread?:yikes:

>you don't get notifications of TISC?:yikes:

>you come here so rarely you have 6 new pages of a topic to be read?:yikes:

Those can only go so far... but yeah, I got notifications on

9 hours ago, Janakis said:

I also read, in town Garderen (11.8 km from Ermelo) is during festival Zandsculpturenfestijn. The sculptures look like they're alive. :bowdown:

Yep! They have it every year (mostly around the summer and autumn) and always with a different theme. This year the theme was around 75 years of liberation and (together with @brunamoura) I visited it for the first time. I always thought it sounded a bit dull, but actually it is really interesting and cool to walk around :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 25/10/2020 at 10:45, heywoodu said:

Delegation location 3 - Ermelo

We travel westwards from Epe, north-west from Apeldoorn and find ourselves in Ermelo. Home of international equestrian events, road cycling sprinter Robbie McEwen's leadout man Aart Vierhouten and all kinds of other people. It's a place known for having several places for people with mental health problems, since 100-150 years ago people thought the peace and calm would help them and this has sort of remained.

Much like in all of the Veluwe, there's rich history to be found here. On the open fields outside of the village, one can for example find the remnants of a two thousand year old Roman camp. Not even the first people to be there, since people from the east - up to the Balkan - already came to this area two thousand years prior. There's almost too much history to mention, but we will mention a field that has been uncovered in 1933: more than 300 Franconian graves were discovered, dated at around the year 600.

Ermelo was the center of the Veluwe's church life long before the year 1000, much to my surprise their Old Church was already mentioned - albeit in a bit smaller form than it is now - back in 1006! One might guess the name Old Church didn't come out of nowhere...Last, but not least, we'll go a bit south into the forests, for the legend of the 'Solse Gat' ('the Hole of Sols'): legend has it a monastery was there in the woods, but the monks didn't behave and it sunk into the earth. Sometimes during the night, nowadays one can still hear the monastery's bells and the Satanic singing of the monks around what is now but a hole in the ground.

Soldaat2_marskamp.jpg

A Roman dude, not a real one, guarding the location where a Roman camp was found

2764cd4e9c16929dfecb2284d39c33bb.jpg

The Old Church and an old car

solse-gat-800x500.jpg

A child getting dangerously close to the Solse Gat, she might have never been heard of again apart from the legendary monk's devilish songs...

Delegations in Ermelo

:CRO Croatia

:GRE Greece

:POR Portugal

Nice location, plus not that far from Amsterdam.

And the best thing is that quite close to Walibi park :d

35 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

Nice location, plus not that far from Amsterdam.

And the best thing is that quite close to Walibi park :d

We call Amsterdam 'far away', but yeah, we're only a small country :p 

If I take my bike I can see Walibi within 15 minutes or so (on the other side of the water and only the top of the rollercoasters, but still :d ).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I have done my TISC-duty and sent my votes to the host jury :) 

It took three listenings to decide my ranking. 1-4 were really battling it out to get my 12 points. I think all of them deserved to get the top points, but unfortunately only one entry could get it.

5-8 have been in the same positions in both second and third listening.

9-12 + reserves were in a fierce battle to obtain those last points. As usual :lol:

Overall I have really enjoyed the musical level in this contest. Some very good songs which I really love. Many decent good songs, and then of course some which didn't catch my interest at all.