website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Close to choose my top 12 after 4 listens to all songs (including in the job with the "WTF ARE YOU LISTENING" looks of the others members of the study )

a CLEAR top 3 with many songs in the middle, another edition without "joke songs" :clap:

Delegation location 1 - Apeldoorn

First off is, of course, our host city of Apeldoorn. There's plenty on offer here and especially fans of royalty will find themselves at home. Apeldoorn is home of Het Loo Palace, which nowadays is more of a museum than an actual royal home. It's closed for renovations, but we got special permission to not only look around...but to actually houst some of our delegations right here!

One can wonder around the palace gardens or take a trip to the popular Apenheul, a zoo specifically for monkeys - 'apen', in Dutch. The interesting thing is that a lot of the animals wonder around relatively freely, especially the squirrel monkeys are known to get close and, if given the chance, steal your stuff! One can of course have their opinions about places like this, but the fact is thousands and thousands of children have gotten an interest in animals they'd otherwise never even have heard of, and they support a ton of research in trying to preserve these beautiful species.

For those not wanting to spend too much time in the gardens or Apenheul, there's always the bikes on offer, free to use for all delegation members. It's a matter of minutes until you're in the forests of the Veluwe, where it's just...enjoyable!

67926_fullimage_1.%20apeldoorn_818x512.j

The gardens of Het Loo Palace

Wandelen-Veluwe_2.png?fit=1080,754&ssl=1

Go for a nice walk in the nature around Apeldoorn, you've got time to spare until TOISC!

Delegations in Apeldoorn

:FRA France

:ESP Spain

:LTU Lithuania

:POL Poland

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Delegation location 2 - Epe

As we'll often do in terms of hosting delegations, we'll go slightly to the north of Apeldoorn, in this case we find ourselves in the town of Epe. The area has been inhabited for thousands of years and this is the area where one will find grave mounds dating back to the Stone Age, up to six thousand years ago. There's tons of Celtic fields around here as well, mostly dating from the Iron Age.

Epe's name most likely comes from an early Germanic word, apa, meaning something like 'the way the water goes' - one can wonder why, since there's no significant river or lake around. The Germanics were a weird folk, is the only logical conclusion, but we digress.

Epe might be fairly small, their inhabitants have been rather succesful in sports: the rapid footballer Marc Overmars, triple track cycling world champion Teun Mulder and multiple times Grand Slam doubles champion Jacco Eltingh find their roots here. Take care when driving around outside of town: wild boar roam around and outsiders often don't take this into account when driving, leading to some severe accidents - you do not want to hit a boar or even a deer.

Grafheuvels_Epe.jpg?width=1142&height=53

Burial mounds near Epe, some are quite visible like these, dozens and dozens of them are more hidden in the forests around

r0027701-airvideo-epf-small-jpg20120730-

If you like your pancakes, go to De Ossenstal right here in the forest, afterwards one can go for a delightful walk around and perhaps spot some wildlife

Delegations in Epe

:ARG Argentina

:GER Germany

:NZL New Zealand

:USA United States

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m disturbed by the lack of cafes in Epe :mad:

There's De Posthoorn, which is slowly closing in on it's 300 year anniversary (it's from 1736), most of which time it served as a cafe, restaurant, hotel and similar roles - mostly together.

Foto-3.jpg

Fun fact: it was founded as what would be translated to 'The Orange Tree', a reference to the royal family. These references were however strictly forbidden by the French occupying authorities in the late 1700's, and so the name was changed to it's current name, translated loosely to 'The Postal Horn'.

It's heydays were in the 1920's, when it was so popular and famous that guests who couldn't be placed in Het Loo Palace were often brought here.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Delegation location 2 - Epe

As we'll often do in terms of hosting delegations, we'll go slightly to the north of Apeldoorn, in this case we find ourselves in the town of Epe. The area has been inhabited for thousands of years and this is the area where one will find grave mounds dating back to the Stone Age, up to six thousand years ago. There's tons of Celtic fields around here as well, mostly dating from the Iron Age.

Epe's name most likely comes from an early Germanic word, apa, meaning something like 'the way the water goes' - one can wonder why, since there's no significant river or lake around. The Germanics were a weird folk, is the only logical conclusion, but we digress.

Epe might be fairly small, their inhabitants have been rather succesful in sports: the rapid footballer Marc Overmars, triple track cycling world champion Teun Mulder and multiple times Grand Slam doubles champion Jacco Eltingh find their roots here. Take care when driving around outside of town: wild boar roam around and outsiders often don't take this into account when driving, leading to some severe accidents - you do not want to hit a boar or even a deer.

Grafheuvels_Epe.jpg?width=1142&height=53

Burial mounds near Epe, some are quite visible like these, dozens and dozens of them are more hidden in the forests around

r0027701-airvideo-epf-small-jpg20120730-

If you like your pancakes, go to De Ossenstal right here in the forest, afterwards one can go for a delightful walk around and perhaps spot some wildlife

Delegations in Epe

:ARG Argentina

:GER Germany

:NZL New Zealand

:USA United States

Looks i found myself the next place for the next bike trip!  

Also, just a note to say how I love the dutch love for pancakes, there's pancake places everywhere and they're always delicous :d

1 minute ago, kungshamra71 said:

Looks i found myself the next place for the next bike trip!  

Also, just a note to say how I love the dutch love for pancakes, there's pancake places everywhere and they're always delicous :d

Do let me know if you find yourself close to Epe, because then you'll also find yourself close to my town :d (and we have a pancake restaurant too, two even!)

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Do let me know if you find yourself close to Epe, because then you'll also find yourself close to my town :d (and we have a pancake restaurant too, two even!)

So far the closest i've been was to Vaassen because they have a nice castle there :d