website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Just now, Vektor said:

I was actually thinking about how the users who have been submitting songs for Open for many years now are at a disadvantage if they are from a smaller country. This doesn't apply to countries like the US or the UK where they literally have an endless supply of songs that can win TISC. I will eventually run out of Hungarian songs that I like and have a good chance (in my opinion) to get at least a somewhat decent result in a song contest. When I will reach that point, that's when I will start sending some truly weird entries for TISC. :d

I've ran out of songs that had a chance already, I'm quickly running out of songs that I like as well. :d

When growing up, I think I've listened to like 5 Lithuanian artists and all of them have already participated in these contests once or twice. I'm eagerly waiting for us to move up a few years for open contests, 2018-2020 is the golden age and renaissance of Lithuanian music. I remember one user saying that due to covid year, there were not a lot of music releases in their country, but for Lithuania that was not the case, a lot of bands and artists actually came out with the best songs of their careers, so annual contests are continuously getting more difficult for me :p

There are still a few songs in Lithuanian that I would favour, it's just that I get the vibe that a lot of users don't really like to listen to our language (results based analysis, perhaps, but it is what it is).

But yeah, I've sent Leon Somov & Jazzu, GJan, Jurga, Erica Jennings, Vaidas Baumila, Saulės Kliošas and these are literally the artists that I'm considering right now for their 2nd or 3rd appearances, because our music has not been that inspiring over the years and only now we are seeing a resurgence. I have two Spotify playlists for Lithuanian music (one in Lithuanian, one in English) and nearly everything there is from 2017 and upwards.

15 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I was actually thinking about how the users who have been submitting songs for Open for many years now are at a disadvantage if they are from a smaller country. This doesn't apply to countries like the US or the UK where they literally have an endless supply of songs that can win TISC. I will eventually run out of Hungarian songs that I like and have a good chance (in my opinion) to get at least a somewhat decent result in a song contest. When I will reach that point, that's when I will start sending some truly weird entries for TISC. :d

It might not win but if one of us like it it will feel equally great. And sometimes the weird ones are the best ones :d

41 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I'm so out of ideas for what song to send this year, it's not even funny :lol:

I'm all out of bangers

You say that every year. :p

I remember it now. Back in 2016 you claimed to have found the last good song for Open. Was there nothing produced in Lithuania in all those years? :lol:

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

I remember it now. Back in 2016 you claimed to have found the last good song for Open. Was there nothing produced in Lithuania in all those years? :lol:

I'm being honest...

We only did wedding music and hip-hop from the moment that I was born upto 2010s :lol:

Since I'm not a fan of either, my options are very limited and I keep reusing the same 5 artists. In a couple of years I will not need to have this problem, our music scene evolved into something that I can listen to. 

EDIT: Ideally, I wouldn't re-use artists if I could, unless they release a banger of a song that I just have to share.

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Coincidentally, everything went downhill for Lithuania since 2016 :lol: We had five top 10s in a row, if that doesn't scream "I used up all of my trump cards", I don't know what does :p

41 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I've ran out of songs that had a chance already, I'm quickly running out of songs that I like as well. :d

When growing up, I think I've listened to like 5 Lithuanian artists and all of them have already participated in these contests once or twice. I'm eagerly waiting for us to move up a few years for open contests, 2018-2020 is the golden age and renaissance of Lithuanian music. I remember one user saying that due to covid year, there were not a lot of music releases in their country, but for Lithuania that was not the case, a lot of bands and artists actually came out with the best songs of their careers, so annual contests are continuously getting more difficult for me :p

There are still a few songs in Lithuanian that I would favour, it's just that I get the vibe that a lot of users don't really like to listen to our language (results based analysis, perhaps, but it is what it is).

But yeah, I've sent Leon Somov & Jazzu, GJan, Jurga, Erica Jennings, Vaidas Baumila, Saulės Kliošas and these are literally the artists that I'm considering right now for their 2nd or 3rd appearances, because our music has not been that inspiring over the years and only now we are seeing a resurgence. I have two Spotify playlists for Lithuanian music (one in Lithuanian, one in English) and nearly everything there is from 2017 and upwards.

What amazes me is that you have a playlist in English. It's near impossible to find songs in English that were written and performed by Hungarians, they never appear on the charts. Hungarian artists either can't sing in English or know that the only way they can get on the charts in Hungary by writing Hungarian songs. 

Just now, Vektor said:

What amazes me is that you have a playlist in English. It's near impossible to find songs in English that were written and performed by Hungarians, they never appear on the charts. Hungarian artists either can't sing in English or know that the only way they can get on the charts in Hungary by writing Hungarian songs. 

Yeah, we have the same stigma towards songs in English.

The only time that English songs are actually worshipped here and get a chance to appear on every TV channel is during the Eurovision season.

Starting from 2010s, there were some up and coming younger artists that blew up in our scene writing in English, but lately, even they started writing in Lithuanian, because of our nationalistic tendencies towards music. I guess if it's not written in Lithuanian, it's immediately not a Lithuanian product.

Every radio doesn't give you the light of day if you're writing in English and are not from the top 10 famous artists that are at a peak of popularity where they can write what they want. If you want coverage and an actual return from your music, writing in Lithuanian is fairly inevitable, apart from like two artists that made it big on Spotify and Youtube (writing only in English), and radio had to give into the demand.

One of those artists is actually going to represent this year, I'm glad that he actually has songs in 2015, I got kinda baited thinking it was 2017, because that's when the album dropped on Spotify.

:POL Poland :POL 

Budka Suflera - Takie tango

English Lyrics

Spoiler

In a hall so big and shiny

Like nocturnal Buenos Aires

That doesn't want to sleep

The orchestra are tuning up their instruments

They give a sign and will soon begin

To play the new tango

We're sitting near, indifferent

To each other like tourists Tapping out the rhythm