website statistics

Cricket Discussion Thread

Quasit

13 hours ago, NearPup said:

It honestly amazed me it took so long for the ICC to internally agree that trying to get T20 in the Olympics was a good idea...

England's opposition was due to the Olympics falling in the middle of the English cricket season with the disruption this would cause. I'm not sure what India's objections were.

13 hours ago, George_D said:

both cricket and baseball/softball??

In the longer term cricket is going to be much more attractive to the IOC as it offers the prospect of a much greater global audience and in particular access to South Asia but LA does seem an illogical choice to push for the sport's introduction. Brisbane would seem to make far more sense.

12 hours ago, intoronto said:

Do they really think La2028 would select it over baseball ?

I don't think either will make it unless the IOC decides to expand the quota limit or drop another team sport, both if which looks unlikely 

I agree pushing for inclusion in Brisbane would make much more sense. In the longer term I think giving the IOC access to the huge South Asian market is a significant advantage for the sport which will strengthen its case for inclusion at some stage.

12 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Thats because of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)'s intervention. Under Olympic rules, all national sports federation need to report to the respective country's Olympic association. But BCCI is autonomous and doesn't come under Indian Olympic Association. Most of the cricket revenue comes from India and hence they control International Cricket Council (ICC) as well.

Actually control falls more within a triumvirate of India, England and Australia and nothing much happens unless they all agree.

6 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

England's opposition was due to the Olympics falling in the middle of the English cricket season with the disruption this would cause. I'm not sure what India's objections were.

Coming under Indian Olympic Association, whereabouts clause of WADA and general disinterest. Let alone Olympics, we sent a B team to the CWG 1998 and didn’t even send a team at last Asian games. 

As I have said in past as well, ICC (in reality BCCI, ECB and CA) need to show intent before any talk of Cricket in Olympics gains momentum. Let them add Cricket to CWG. Let the top players take part in CWG and Asian Games, then and only then they should talk about inclusion in Olympics. 

Logistically speaking, with the use of drop-in pitches, a T20 tournament of 8 teams is feasible and not very costly. It brings new audiences and potential medallists from South Asia and Caribbean but there are other sports which are better integrated with Multi-Sports Games. 

12 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

"Thirty-million cricket fans live in the USA"

That's obviously not even remotely true.

No idea where they got those figures from but with more than ten million immigrants from cricket playing countries in the Caribbean and South Asia there is a significant base particularly in the big cities like New York. There are now more than 6,000 teams playing across the US and the country is the second biggest source of clicks on cricket websites after India.

18 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

In the longer term cricket is going to be much more attractive to the IOC as it offers the prospect of a much greater global audience and in particular access to South Asia but LA does seem an illogical choice to push for the sport's introduction. Brisbane would seem to make far more sense.

Indian audience seems to be targeted by the IOC. The Olympic website was providing India specific news and updates and also had a language option of Hindi. Even in social media like Youtube and Twitter, a lot of India specific and Hindi language content was produced.

Coming to cricket, I think ICC also believes 2032 is more realistic but want to make the groundwork by then. Australia as a host makes more sense with iconic stadiums like MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval and Gabba

7 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Coming under Indian Olympic Association, whereabouts clause of WADA and general disinterest. Let alone Olympics, we sent a B team to the CWG 1998 and didn’t even send a team at last Asian games. 

As I have said in past as well, ICC (in reality BCCI, ECB and CA) need to show intent before any talk of Cricket in Olympics gains momentum. Let them add Cricket to CWG. Let the top players take part in CWG and Asian Games, then and only then they should talk about inclusion in Olympics. 

Logistically speaking, with the use of drop-in pitches, a T20 tournament of 8 teams is feasible and not very costly. It brings new audiences and potential medallists from South Asia and Caribbean but there are other sports which are better integrated with Multi-Sports Games. 

I had wondered how Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble, VVS Laxman and Harbhajan Singh got into that side in 1998!  ?

Agreed they need to show intent and on the surface it sounds like they are finally singing from the same hymn sheet but we shall see. Certainly it would benefit the wider game but the most powerful nations are not known for their lack of selfishness.

4 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

I had wondered how Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble, VVS Laxman and Harbhajan Singh got into that side in 1998!  ?

Agreed they need to show intent and on the surface it sounds like they are finally singing from the same hymn sheet but we shall see. Certainly it would benefit the wider game but the most powerful nations are not known for their lack of selfishness.

Bhajji and Laxman were yet not the stars they became after THE 2001 Series. So, basically they sent top 2 stars, Sachin Kumble to please the public but sent half of main team for the all important Friendship Cup in Toronto. 

8 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

There was a simultaneous tournament to be played in Toronto against Pakistan which was the Sahara Cup, a 5 ODI series. BCCI actually held an intra-team match to decide which players would go where. The losers would play in CWG while the winners would go to Canada. Unfortunately, India failed miserably in both; lost 4-1 in Toronto and couldn't qualify for the quarters finishing behind Antigua and Barbuda in the group