website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 News

20 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I fear this boil will not be lanced until either 1) he dies or 2) he wins. 

Hear me out.

The man is, in a very real, practical, mentally unbalanced sense shameless. He literally cannot feel shame like other people, He resents mockery, sure, but he's never of the belief its deserved. And without shame, he can't stop running to win. He's lost the popular vote twice - that would normally be enough alone to send a politician back to the farm - and yet, with completely graceless shamelessness, here he is again. And If alive, he will be again in 2028. Only death and term limits can stop him - and he'd certainly challenge term limits.

I don't want to hijack this thread with Trump news, so I'll sum it up this way.

His entire career in politics feels like a practical joke he took too far.  And once he got too deep into the joke, he couldn't bring himself to admit that his has all been a ruse and that he's less interested in making America great again and much more interested in make Trump great.  He ran again because he is outwardly convinced that the 2020 loss was in fact a win, even though behind closed doors he seems like he knows that his defense is all a pile of lies.  Of course, he won't tell his supporter base that because that would be admitting "the big lie" was a sham and then they would stop giving him money.

If he loses again, that means the next time he is eligible to run, he'll be 82 years old and likely up against someone much younger and much more dynamic than him and Joe Biden.  And by that point, who knows what his finances are.. assuming he hasn't been convicted of a crime and thrown in jail.  We can only hope.  Right now as an American, I'm just concentrated on 2024 and hoping and praying enough people have the good sense to realize how dangerous a re-elected Trump would be.

the NFL is taking seriously the LA 2028 challenge...:rolleyes:

to help their players practicing for that event, in fact, they just banned also the hip-drop tackles :hairpull:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-vote-to-ban-hip-drop-tackle-at-annual-league-meeting

after all the banned defensive plays of the past years, with this one now they're as close as it gets to a true flag football league :pope: :p 

Edited by phelps

50 minutes ago, phelps said:

the NFL is taking seriously the LA 2028 challenge...:rolleyes:

to help their players practicing for that event, in fact, they just banned also the hip-drop tackles :hairpull:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-vote-to-ban-hip-drop-tackle-at-annual-league-meeting

after all the banned defensive plays of the past years, with this one now they're as close as it gets to a true flag football league :pope: :p 

Rugby U will do the same shortly. not sure about Rugby League. Universally accepted among rugby codes as a dangerous tackle technique best excluded.

28 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Rugby U will do the same shortly. not sure about Rugby League. Universally accepted among rugby codes as a dangerous tackle technique best excluded.

Rugby League has already banned this type of tackle, and in fact it looks like the NFL basically copied the rule that was added to Rugby League.

Edited by NearPup

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

Rugby League has already banned this type of tackle, and in fact it looks like the NFL basically copied the rule that was added to Rugby League.

NFL is clearly a very different sport from the two classic rugby codes (and CFL for that matter), but they do share a rather larger amount that some might imagine - a lot of NFL fans found the recent NRL Las Vegas games oddly recognisable as well as enjoyable (obviously League is much much closer in 'form' to NFL than Union)

6 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

NFL is clearly a very different sport from the two classic rugby codes (and CFL for that matter), but they do share a rather larger amount that some might imagine - a lot of NFL fans found the recent NRL Las Vegas games oddly recognisable as well as enjoyable (obviously League is much much closer in 'form' to NFL than Union)

I like telling Americans that watching a full match of Rugby League will explain the origin of basically every weird American Football rule.

Edited by NearPup

4 hours ago, NearPup said:

I like telling Americans that watching a full match of Rugby League will explain the origin of basically every weird American Football rule.

Absolutely. Although from a Gaelic Games and Soccer background, got into Rugby Union and NFL at almost the same time, aged about 11 (watching 6 Nations and Ch4 NFL with my cousins) Bizarrely enough became a huge cricket fan at the same time (long school holidays and limited TV = Test Matches!) before an Ireland international team technically existed (it was a representative 'county' team under TCCB). Got into League thanks to Martin Offiah's generation, and although the League-Union rivalry made me smile, being Irish I never quite 'got' it, because I liked both (and NFL!) on a sort of continuum. And then watched my first Grey Cup at 19 - personally, I prefer the rules of CFL just because it's a more expansive game, which may be a rugby fan overhang, come to think of it...

But yes, you start with the Touchdown - why is it called that when you don't have to actually try to touch the ball down, where as in rugby, you don't only have to try to touch down to score a try, you actually have to touch down!). The 6 tackles v 4 downs is parallel evolution, I think. But yes, rugby League is basically ironman NFL without the forward pass, so everyone becomes, literally, a running back!

FWIW I've a couple of American friends (and several Canadians from Uni!) who are late but absolutely mad concerts to rugby, precisely because they cottoned on to the idea of a speeded up NFL with no breaks - they just consider the sport brilliantly barbaric!