website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey IIHF World Championship 2021

hckošice

The 2021 World Championships are strongly endangered. The Latvians refuse to work with Belarus.

The :LAT prime minister said he cannot see how Latvia can co-host with Belarus and will push IIHF to move the tournament away from Minsk (where the semifinals and medal matches are schedulled)

On 14/08/2020 at 09:02, hckosice said:

The 2021 World Championships are strongly endangered. The Latvians refuse to work with Belarus.

The :LAT prime minister said he cannot see how Latvia can co-host with Belarus and will push IIHF to move the tournament away from Minsk (where the semifinals and medal matches are schedulled)

Latvia has officially threatened to withdraw as host if Belarus is not stripped of the right to co-host. Latvia want the IHHF to allow them to select a new co-host.

This is a little silly since we all knew Lukashenko was a dictator when Latvia threw their lot in with Belarus. While I understand the situation has dramatically changed since then, one could say that if Latvia was fine laying in bed with a dictator then; there shouldn’t be much difference now. Of course, I’m happy they’re standing up for human rights/democracy now. I’m just saying they could have done a better job of asserting their beliefs by not choosing Belarus in the first place. However, I realize the importance sports can play in uniting divided cultures/governing systems, so I can understand how this was a complicated decision for them.

Rene Fasel/IHHF isn’t completely innocent here either. Fasel made some poorly worded statements about the situation in Belarus, and I think those ultimately helped push the Latvian government to this extreme.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Belarus declared via its Ice Hockey federation president Dmitry Baskov that they are perfectly capable and prepared to host the world champs on its own even without Latvia 

I see some people in Belarus are living somehow a bit out of reality there :d

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Belarus declared via its Ice Hockey federation president Dmitry Baskov that they are perfectly capable and prepared to host the world champs on its own even without Latvia 

I see some people in Belarus are living somehow a bit out of reality there :d

No surprise. I wonder if they know Soviet Union has ceased to exist? I mean they still have the KGB name in operation after all those years. Even Russia has changed that name to FSB (even though that's the same thing) :evil:

• 2 months later...

No clue what the IHHF are going to do about the 2021 World Champs. It’s clear Latvia will refuse to co-host with Belarus.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

!!!

The World Championships will not be in Belarus !

The 2021 World Hockey Championships were originally scheduled to be co-organized by Belarus and Latvia, but recent reports from the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) suggest that this will not be the case.

Journalist Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News reported on Thursday evening that the IIHF plans to take away the next championship from Belarus and assign it to Russia.

The second venue of the championship - Riga, Latvia - has not changed yet.

The Slovak Preliminary A-group thus will not be played in Minsk, but very probably in Moscow.

Ryan Kennedy informed that IIHF President René Fasel has already communicated the topic with Vladislav Tretiak, President of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. The relocation of the hockey championship from Belarus to Russia is due to concerns about the safety of tournament participants and fans, as an independent report commissioned by the IIHF in September highlighted legitimate concerns about the current environment in Belarus and also expressed skepticism about coronavirus spread. At the same time, it criticized the measures to deal with the pandemic.

The World Hockey Championships are scheduled to take place from May 21 to June 6 next year.

4 hours ago, DaniSRB said:

So in this case mixing politics and sports is totally justified? Huh, how hipocritical

Even though Lukasenko is a dictator and someone who is responsible for a violation of human rights, Latvia chose a bad way for defending these rights. Should Belarussian athletes be banned because of their president? Wasnt there any other option than banning them as hosts? 

We are living in hypocritic world, but still it amazes me. 

Lukasenko should be sanctioned, not a country or people.