website statistics

Your Favorite Olympic Moments

rafalgorka

10 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Don't forget Sven Kramer failing to win the 10000m again :D

Why must you do this to me!

Great idea to watch all the highlights everyone mentions. I sometimes watch French sport highlights to work on my French, but this'll be a great way to be introduced to Italian, Hungarian(?) and Polish highlights among others!

If you want to watch my personal best olympic moment, here it is. 

My oh my, how High was it? 2,40? 2,43? 2,45? Higher? 

I jumped High on my couch at that moment, too. Almost hitting the ceiling with my head ?

Anyway, he ended with Silver on that day. 

16 minut temu, Jinzha napisał:

Great idea to watch all the highlights everyone mentions. I sometimes watch French sport highlights to work on my French, but this'll be a great way to be introduced to Italian, Hungarian(?) and Polish highlights among others!

Good luck with working on your Hungarian. This is a challenge, I can tell you that ?

Lillehammer 1994 - 

Slovakia - Canada 3-1 and the president of the republic considered establishing that day as a new national holiday...

Atlanta 1996 -

First ever participation of newly independent Slovakia at the Summer Olympics and 1st Gold won by a unknown 16 years old kid named Michal Martikán

Nagano 1998 -

I remember how I woke up in the morning at 4 AM and watched the women's biathlon relay, 3/4 of the races we were clearly in the golden position, but in the end we finished just behind the podium in fourth place. I remember how I cried. one of those fucking days it was then... remember we were still without any WOG medal at that time

Sydney 2000 -

The Hochschorner Bros winning the C2 Canoeing Slalom gold with literally havig fingers in their nose was simply magic. + watching SVK football, Basketball and water polo teams playing at the Olympics, something still almost unbelievable for our country

Salt Lake City 2002 -

Disaster for our hockey, due stupid rules of NHL owners, all our stars were allowed to play in the tournament only from the main round, so first SVK had to qualify from the 1st round, we send like 9 players for those 3 matches and were hoping to qualify, obviously we finished last of the group...so my memory to watch all our huge NHL stars arriving before the last preliminary round game and sitting in the stands is just one of the worst I can remember...

Thanks god 3 months later our stars were back and we became the World Champions ! one of the biggest paradoxes in sport history

Athens 2004 -

My first true Olympics, I watched in integrality, almost 24 h/per day. I remember visiting my doc and offered him 20 Slovak crowns asking him if he can write me a 2 week absence, I was super happy when he did it, I was 2 weeks closed in my room watching the Olympics lol...this became a tradition now, so since 2004 I became a real Olympics addicted and

Torino 2006 -

First ever Slovak WOG medal won by a guy I never heard about before and never heard again after. a certain Radoslav Židek in the Snowboard Cross of all sports lol

Beijing 2008 -

Our best Olympics, 3 Gold medals in 2 days, 2 Gold medals in 2 hours and total domination of our Canoeing Slalom destroying the opponents winning 3 of the 4 golds available in this sport

Vancouver 2010 -

My favorite Games. I just love them. First SVK gold Kuzmina in the opening day, SVK ice hockey triumph in the quarterfinals over SWE 4-3 but also the tears after the loss in the Bronze medal match to Finland 3-5 (when we were still leading 3-1 after the 2nd period) The last real tournament of our golden generation.

London 2012 -

The worst games for SVK. The only summer olympics without any gold medal, literally a failure after failure in our team...at least my fav athlete Jessica Ennis-Hill winning gold saved the games for me

Sochi 2014 -

Another gold for Anastasiya Kuzmina in Biathlon W Sprint...but otherwise nothing but disappointement...losing to Slovenia with the NHL full pack team we had there is one of the worst memories I have from sport..oh man, I still remember it like yesterday, I was so pissed...you realy must see such match to understand the nightmare experiences I had

Rio 2016 -

First ever SVK gold from another sport than Canoe Slalom...man it was about time :lol: the epic Matej Tóth 50km Race Walk gold is something I will remember for all my life.

PyeongChang 2018 -

Kuzmina triumph in the mass start meaning she became the first female biathlete to win gold at 3 consecutive Winter Olympics...

41 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Don't know if this works outside of Poland but here's the infamous last round of the Atlanta 1996 10m air rifle where :POLRenata Mauer won gold after :GERPetra Horneber blew a 1,7 pt lead with the last shot. Even the Polish commentator was convinced this is only a battle for silver & bronze and Horneber has a gold in the bag. She had until she choked it away...  Only Matthew Emmons in the 2008 three positions last round can challenge that but he blamed it on a premature trigger reaction IIRC.

https://sport.tvp.pl/8047523/60-lat-tvp-zlote-momenty-mauer-mistrzynia-w-atlancie

3 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

@phelps I wish you health!!! All the best wishes for you!!! Where can I see this Abbagnale race video with this commentary?

I just can't find the 1984 final, but on youtube there are many of his broadcasting shows from 1988 to 2000 (he was the voice also for the big Italian Gold medals in Canoeing)...

hace 11 minutos, phelps dijo:

I just can't find the 1984 final, but on youtube there are many of his broadcasting shows from 1988 to 2000 (he was the voice also for the big Italian Gold medals in Canoeing)...

Not even cerchidigloria has the audio for 1984 final in their LA recap video, is it sure this man was narrating rowing that year? it seems to me like he is/was one of those multi-task football pundits.

btw rowing is "canottaggio"? what is canoeing then?

Just now, LDOG said:

Not even cerchidigloria has the audio for 1984 final in their LA recap video, is it sure this man was narrating rowing that year? it seems to me like he is/was one of those multi-task football pundits.

btw rowing is "canottaggio"? what is canoeing then?

yes, I'm absolutely sure "Bisteccone" was narrating Rowing (Canottaggio) for our public TV RAI in 1984 (he was doing it even before, when the Abbagnale brothers won their first world medal in 1982...and he was himself an Olympic rower -I don't remember if in the Pairs or the Double sculls- in Rome in 1960)...

Canoeing in Italian is "Canoa" (Canoa Sprint = Flatwater Canoeing, Canoa Slalom = Slalom Canoeing, no difference with many other languages)...in Spanish is "Piragua/Piraguismo"...

by the way, he never used to be a Football broadcaster, even if he used to follow our Serie A football from Rome for the RAI sports news programs...