website statistics

Your Favorite Olympic Moments

rafalgorka

Ehm...

Czech Republic and Olympics, that is a long story of successes and great amazing athletes through different sports from athletics decathlons to Rowing Single Sculls but obviously the top prestigious result should be considered the Nagano 1998 Tournament of Century triumph (Winning that first ever tournament with NHLers under the five rings is somehow still so underrated achievement in the world sport, I really seriously can not understand why. It was and is one hell of an achievement !)

First shots of TV news of 22nd February dedicated to this huge achievement

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

@Hipooo thank you for these videos! Never watched Ledecka race with Czech commentary :-) that's great.

I haven't heard Spotakova story about Soviet occupation anniversary before, either.

And this 30km Torino race was great gold for Katerina Neumannova greeted by her kid at the finish, but also first olympic medal for Justyna Kowalczyk, who DNF 10 km race few days earlier (because she fainted, they say) but in 30km she came back strongly. It turns out - what a-moment that was for both of us.

Heh, czech commentary was in our contry quite controverse, because they almost always said: "Oh no, here was a big mistake.... and here another one" :d - and finally Ledecká took gold medal :d very strange

About Justina's problems before the last track I have never heard, so her toughness was incredible! 

41 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Ehm...

Czech Republic and Olympics, that is a long story of successes and great amazing athletes through different sports from athletics decathlons to Rowing Single Sculls but obviously the top prestigious result should be considered the Nagano 1998 Tournament of Century triumph (Winning that first ever tournament with NHLers under the five rings is somehow still so underrated achievement in the world sport, I really seriously can not understand why. It was and is one hell of an achievement !)

First shots of TV news of 22nd February dedicated to this huge achievement

Yes, definitely it's true, our gold Nagano is amazing results, but in 1998 I was 5 years old and I don't remember this - have not any emotional experience :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

michal_martikan.jpg

It´s been a while I posted here some updates of the :SVK Olympic Medals

so :SVK medal moments #4

Let today speak about one guy named Michal Martikán.

Born in Liptovský Mikuláš, The kid was a special talent which later proved by making it to the national team at his 15 !

1 year later in 1995 he won his first big major medals (2 bronzes at the World Championships in Nottingham in C1 and C1 Teams). He is also still the youngest athlete ever to win a World Cup race in the whole sport of Canoeing Slalom.

but the next year was his first big career milestone.

The 27th of July 1996.

only 3 years after the split up of the former Czechoslovakia the young Michal won the first ever Gold Olympic medal of the new country.

and the history showed that it was not his only success, Michal is arguably altogether with the french Tony Estanguet considered as the best C1 canoe slalom athlete of the history.

He won 5 medals at 5 consecutive Olympic Games. An totally unprecedented achievement in this sport.

2x Gold (1996 Atlanta & 2008 Beijing)

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/best-of-michal-martikan-beijing-2008/?uxreference=playlist

2x Silver (2000 Sydney & 2004 Athens)

Spoiler

Bronze (2012 London)

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/best-of-michal-martikan-london-2012/

The 4 times :SVK athlete of the year is also an absolute Big major events Medals record holder 

He won 49 Medals from Big Major events (Counting only : Olympic Games, World Championships and European Championships) !!!

OG:  2 - 2 - 1

WCH:  14 - 3 - 6

ECH:  14 - 5 - 2

He also won 42 individual World Cup Podiums, 5 Overall World Cup Champion (Also the record among C1 paddlers)

Now 41 year old He is still active and pretty much on the race for Tokyo 2020, currrently slightly behind Alexander Slafkovský and tied with the Rio medalist Matej Beňuš for the single quota in the C1.