website statistics

Your Favorite Olympic Moments

rafalgorka

#207 - Rio 2016 - Swimming - W 200m Backstroke Final - Katinka denied another gold medal in last stroke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8SVFr13m0&t=1s

#206 - London 2012 - Athletics - W 100m Hurdles Final - Sally Pearson asking around - WAS IT ME? WAS IT ME?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqL-lAud0k&t=407s

I just ran into this video, IOC's top 5 Olympic upsets in the history,  whoever made that video for IOC is probably American, all of those 5 upsets are related to USA. :d

what other "big big" upsets you guys can add to the list ?

obviously Esther Ledecka but they made the clip before the 2018 Winter Games

from an Italian perspective, the biggest "Winter" positive upset in recent history is surely the men's Combined in Alpine Skiing in Albertville 1992, when Josef Polig and Gianfranco Martin came out of nowhere to win Gold & Silver...

not sure we can say it was an enormous upset, since we were among the medal candidates in any case, but also the triumph in the men's Cross-Country Skiing relay in Lillehammer 1994 surely was against all odds (basically the entire world thought it was only a race for the silver medal, with gold already booked by the host Nation)...

at the Summer Games, I'd say the 2 gold medals by Andrea Minguzzi (Greco-Roman Wrestling) and Giulia Quintavalle (women's Judo) in Beijing 2008 are definitely among the most unexpected wins in our Olympic history...

by the way, I totally agree with the Olympic Channel when they put the "miracle on ice" at no.1...that's my absolute no.1, too...

and I think also Bradbury's shocking gold and Karelin's suprising loss deserve to be in that ranking...

5 hours ago, rybak said:

My favourite Olympic moment is will be when Tokyo Games will actually happen.

Wrong topic. This belongs in the Fantasy Games thread :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela