website statistics

Your Favorite Olympic Moments

rafalgorka

57 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Don't know if this works outside of Poland but here's the infamous last round of the Atlanta 1996 10m air rifle where :POLRenata Mauer won gold after :GERPetra Horneber blew a 1,7 pt lead with the last shot. Even the Polish commentator was convinced this is only a battle for silver & bronze and Horneber has a gold in the bag. She had until she choked it away...  Only Matthew Emmons in the 2008 three positions last round can challenge that but he blamed it on a premature trigger reaction IIRC.

https://sport.tvp.pl/8047523/60-lat-tvp-zlote-momenty-mauer-mistrzynia-w-atlancie

you're forgetting this one...8 years before Emmons (the same day of Mauer vs Horneber)...:p

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

you're forgetting this one...8 years before Emmons (the same day of Mauer vs Horneber)...:p

Yes, I was about to say I recall Wang Yifu blowing at least one gold somewhere in 1996 or 2000 but it's been over 20 years so I didn't remember the details exactly. Thx for the reminder.

hace 47 minutos, phelps dijo:

Canoeing in Italian is "Canoa" (Canoa Sprint = Flatwater Canoeing, Canoa Slalom = Slalom Canoeing, no difference with many other languages)...in Spanish is "Piragua/Piraguismo"...

That's in Spain only, everywhere else in hispanic world it is "canotaje" for Canoeing. I was asking because of the similarity of the word with the italian for rowing.

Hmm curious... "Canoa" would be referring to the canoe (as in the object) in our language.    

I see that rowing is canotaj in romanian, similar root as italian I suppose.  Both quite different from spanish and french words for that same sport ("remo" and "aviron").

Ok, let's see:

Atlanta 1996 - Magic day 21st of July. Three gold medals for Poland: Ryszard Wolny (greco-roman wrestling 68kg), Andrzej Wroński (greco-roman wrestling 100kg) and Pawel Nastula (judo 95kg). Poland was even leader of medal table I believe because we had four golds at that time (Renata Mauer get one in 10m air rifle day before that) but I'm not sure.

Nagano 1998 - To be honest I don't have one. It was time I was still very young and I was watching olympics only because of polish athletes and we wasn't very good in winter sports back then ;) (but there was some good starts like Andrzej Bachleda in alpine combined or men's biathlon relay)

Sydney 2000 - Robert Korzeniowski gold in 20km race walking. He was second when he cross the line but after the race winner Mexican Segura was DSQ for running. Korzeniowski found out about that during interview for polish television.

Salt Lake City 2002 - Bjoerndalen four gold medals in biathlon, Lajunen three golds in nordic combined and of course Steven Bradbury.

Athens 2004 - Magic day for Argentina. Two golds, one in basketball, one in football. First golds from a very long time.

Torino 2006 - Shaun White gold in halfpipe and Martins Rubenis gets first winter medal for Latvia.

Beijing 2008 - Bolt beating Johnson's WR on 200m and three golds of Chris Hoy.

Vancouver 2010 - Kowalczyk beat Bjoergen in 30km and Steven Holcomb gold in four-man bobsleigh.

London 2012 - Opening ceremony and Felix Sanchez gold.

Sochi 2014 - I don't know, it was magical olympics. Two golds of Kamil Stoch, gold of Zbigniew Brodka (who wins it with advantage of 0,003s!), gold of Justyna Kowalczyk (won with broken foot). And ladies first ski jumping competition.

Rio 2016 - Wayde van Niekerk WR on 400m and Ruth Beitia gold in high jump. And also WR of Anita Wlodarczyk in hammer.

Pyeongchang 2018 - Two gold medals in two-man bobsleigh for Kripps and Friedrich, David Gleirscher gold in men's singles luge and German ice hockey team.

Tokyo 2020 - Opening ceremony because when it'll begin I'll know that everything is just fine.

13 hours ago, LDOG said:

That's in Spain only, everywhere else in hispanic world it is "canotaje" for Canoeing. I was asking because of the similarity of the word with the italian for rowing.

Hmm curious... "Canoa" would be referring to the canoe (as in the object) in our language.    

I see that rowing is canotaj in romanian, similar root as italian I suppose.  Both quite different from spanish and french words for that same sport ("remo" and "aviron").

thanks...

I thought Piraguismo was the same all over the Spanish speaking world...

nice to learn something new every day...;)

and yes, Italian and Romanian root for the Rowing sport are the same, as many other words, as both are neo-Latin languages (Romanian has also heavy French influence, but in this case the neo-Latin heritage prevails)...

of course "canoa" in Italian is also for the object as it is (and it's used for both Canoe and Kayak, as basically we never use the word Kayak, if not for the sport competitions to distinguish the 2 disciplines...but in common language referred to a trip in your leisure time we normally use only the word canoa meaning either C or K)...

Definitely the Gold Medal of Abhinav Bindra in 2008 Beijing in 10m Air Rifle. Where I distributed sweets to my colleagues after that. My students doing live commentary n all shouting n clapping inside the classroom. All inside the academy were startled to see the noise. That was beautiful moment.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

Dnia 3.08.2020 o 18:37, Olympian1010 napisał:

Sochi 2014 - The opening ceremony is unfortunately memorable for the epic mishap with the rings. 

Cytat

From Polish perspective there was even bigger mishap im the opening ceremony when Polish team entered the stadium. This photo proves that even Putin thinks that Koenigsberg / Kaliningrad should be in Poland these days. 

z15420117Q,ss.jpg