website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

1 hour ago, phelps said:

the only new events that could be part of the 2026 schedule are Natural Track Luge and Ski Mountaineering...

Which would be an even worse idea than snow volleyball. And yes, personally I like natural track luge more than snow volleyball. And yes, I know it's in Italy. But it has just no place in the Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which would be an even worse idea than snow volleyball. And yes, personally I like natural track luge more than snow volleyball. And yes, I know it's in Italy. But it has just no place in the Olympics.

if Artificial Track Luge, Nordic Combined...going a bit extreme, the same Ski Jumping (not to mention some Freestyle disciplines like Aerials or Halfpipe) have their Olympic status, I don't see why NTL can't have theirs...

the total number of competitive nations (and overall participants) is more or less the same...actually, in a few of those disciplines mentioned above there are even less starters than in NTL in any competition...

and trust me, I'm not saying that because it's Italy and because it's me...it's only about the numbers (moreover, if they make it "Olympic", those numbers are going to increase, especially the teams that could get from simple "participants" to "medal contenders")...

1 hour ago, DaniSRB said:

About snow volleyball i heard Boricic speaking in our tv news, he is president of CEV or so ....:mumble:

Minimum it will be test event but it looks like they go for more

you know...there are a lot of presidents in many sports often shouting "we're going to the Olympics", but most times it's just their dream...

no chance summer sports federations would get a place at the Winter Olympics...

and no chance the Italian organizer would invest a single cent in further infrastructures and events...as said before, it's easier that they will ask IOC to cut some events rather than they add more (except for those 2 disciplines mentioned above because there's a high interest by our Nation to have them in...NTL because it could increase our medal tally without investing much money -no new infrastructure is needed for NTL, Ski Mountaineering because it would be an amazing advertising for the Dolomites region = more high spending tourists = more money in the post-Olympic future)...

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Skijumpingmaster said:

Will the winter olympics hosts choose additional sports to their games like the summer games have?

Yes, I believe so.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Skijumpingmaster said:

Will the winter olympics hosts choose additional sports to their games like the summer games have?

Yes, Beijing choosed not to add any new sport.

There are very little to chose from anyway, the only 3 recognized winter federations not already present at the winter games being : Ski Mountaineering, Bandy and Climbing (ice climbing). 

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Yes, Beijing choosed not to add any new sport.

There are very little to chose from anyway, the only 3 recognized winter federations not already present at the winter games being : Ski Mountaineering, Bandy and Climbing (ice climbing). 

It's not like China is good at any of those, so there was no point in adding anything. :dunno:

Italy is probably gunning only for the natural track luge.

#banbestmen

The Arena Civica in Milano (built in 1807 !) could host the speed track events :hyper:

yeah, except for the fact that's an outdoor stadium (which ISU doesn't like at all), it would be a wonderful place for those events...

there's only one problem...that stadium is a public monument, protected by local and national laws...

it would be extremely difficult to match all the required features of an Olympic venue (especially in terms of renovating the locker rooms and building the press boxes/places with all the modern technology the OG need)...

even the attendance's entrance would be quite complicated in terms of security standards for such kind of event (except for the main stand, there are only "little holes" to get in in the other areas of the stadium, which could be a real problem if you need to get 10,000 people out of the stadium quickly...the Hillsborough effect is not so remote in that kind of venue...that's why it's never used for Football matches...it only hosts some athletics, where no more than 1,000/2,000 people well spread around the building normally come to watch the events)...

however, it's only speculation right now...at the moment, the official venue is still the Ice Rink in Baselga di Pinè as described in the bidding book (once again, it's an outdoor arena and ISU doesn't want Olympic speedskating to be contested outside...and the original project to get it covered looks already out of chance because of the excessive costs and logistical issues)...

I fear that at the end of an endless discussion, they would eventually end up with a temporary pavillion in the 2015 World Expo area, if not the good old Lingotto pavillion in Turin that already hosted the 2006 Speedskating events (which would be unacceptable to me...Turin must be kept far from these Games as pestis)...