website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would imagine the FIL will get the green light from the IOC for this.

Women’s doubles seems pretty inevitable. Natural track less so, but if it ever gets included it will be now.

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would imagine the FIL will get the green light from the IOC for this.

It was already know.

Roda some months ago say that alpine skiing will ask for an inclusion too.

Italian NOC will do a strong pressing about this

10 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Women’s doubles seems pretty inevitable. Natural track less so, but if it ever gets included it will be now.

The one thing that natural track has going for it is that it is much more accessible to a wider range of countries than artificial track is. Obviously, natural track is still dominated by mostly the same countries as artificial track, but I think there’s the potential for other countries to become competitive. I think it’s much cheaper to build a natural track as well, though it does pretty much require a good amount of natural snow.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, hckosice said:

They better rather expand the Ice Hockey tournament, having only 12 teams in the WOG main lead sport is pretty embarassing to be honest

Excuse me :yikes: How dare you insult our dear lord and savior, Biathlon. :p

I think we have to get to 12 women’s teams before we can talk about expansion of the men’s tournament. Plus, the IOC is looking to cut quotas from the Winter Olympics as well. We had some steep cuts from Pyeongchang to Beijing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Excuse me :yikes: How dare you insult our dear lord and savior, Biathlon. :p

I think we have to get to 12 women’s teams before we can talk about expansion of the men’s tournament. Plus, the IOC is looking to cut quotas from the Winter Olympics as well. We had some steep cuts from Pyeongchang to Beijing.

Biathlon is great and fun and everything for sure, but on a global scale, the attention is not equal to the popularity of hockey. Hockey is by far the most watched and followed winter olympic sport on a global scale, whether you like it or not. it can perhaps only be compared to maybe figure skating. Biathlon is super popular only in a couple of european countries, just like alpine skiing or nordic skiing

16 teams M ice hockey tournament must be a priority for IIHF, but yeah, will not happen

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The one thing that natural track has going for it is that it is much more accessible to a wider range of countries than artificial track is. Obviously, natural track is still dominated by mostly the same countries as artificial track, but I think there’s the potential for other countries to become competitive. I think it’s much cheaper to build a natural track as well, though it does pretty much require a good amount of natural snow.

Problem with including natural track is that they are asking for potentially four extra medals,  which I don’t see the IOC accepting at all.  It’s the equivalent of a whole new sport.

Just because we strayed onto this topic a little, here’s a fascinating map put together by Google based on YouTube streaming trends the year leading up to Pyeongchang 2018.

0000CFE3-ED88-4985-8663-AB0E9ED357EB.jpeg