website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, luge is like canoeing for example. Olympics are the only item on their portfolio. :dunno:

ATL anyway, because NTL has existed without them for quite some time now.

In fairness, at least Canoeing features at the Asian Games, Pan American Games, European Games, and African Games, so there is a much better amount of incentive for countries to have programs in the sport. Plus, Canoeing/Kayaking is already popular as a recreational activity in it’s own right. It’s also pretty accessible in comparison to other boat sports. It’s also existed as a form of transport for civilizations around the world for centuries.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

ATL anyway, because NTL has existed without them for quite some time now.

In fairness, at least Canoeing features at the Asian Games, Pan American Games, European Games, and African Games, so there is a much better amount of incentive for countries to have programs in the sport. Plus, Canoeing/Kayaking is already popular as a recreational activity in it’s own right. It’s also pretty accessible in comparison to other boat sports. It’s also existed as a form of transport for civilizations around the world for centuries.

Nevertheless, ICF is on the brink of bankrupcy (following the Tokyo postponement) and their events are literally disappearing as soon as they get removed from the Olympic program. Clearly a sign that they are way to dependent on the Olympics...

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Nevertheless, ICF is on the brink of bankrupcy (following the Tokyo postponement) and their events are literally disappearing as soon as they get removed from the Olympic program. Clearly a sign that they are way to dependent on the Olympics...

I thought those events removed from the Olympics still featured at the World Championships. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

Nope. They even had ceremonial discontinuation of men's C2 slalom after it got removed.

Oh, I thought we were talking about Canoe Sprint this entire :facepalm:

Yes, Canoe Slalom is very much like Luge. I think it would still exist in the Wildwater-type format outside of the Olympics, but it definitely is a discipline that owes its popularity/existence to the Olympic Games.

Technically, C2 still exists in Slalom :p

1 godzinę temu, Olympian1010 napisał:

I just don’t see Lien Te An getting support from the Chinese Taipei NOC, or Alex Ferlazzo from the Australian NOC with ATL being the Olympic discipline. I don’t doubt that they love ATL, but the support wouldn’t be there for them if it wasn’t Olympic. I know that’s a harsh take, but that’s just the sad reality of non-powerhouse nations in Winter Olympic sport. 

Yes, of course. That's why I wrote before that very much depends on if both kind of luge would be at olympics or only one of them (in this example natural instead of artificial). But talking about Lien and Ferlazzo. They'll both have 31 years in 2026. Do you really think that they would change discipline in this age? They would retire instead. And without Ferlazzo there is no luge in Australia ;) 

58 minut temu, dcro napisał:

Yeah, luge is like canoeing for example. Olympics are the only item on their portfolio.

To be fair. You can say the same about 80% of olympic sports.

14 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Yes, of course. That's why I wrote before that very much depends on if both kind of luge would be at olympics or only one of them (in this example natural instead of artificial). But talking about Lien and Ferlazzo. They'll both have 31 years in 2026. Do you really think that they would change discipline in this age? They would retire instead. And without Ferlazzo there is no luge in Australia ;) 

No, they would definitely retire. You’re right about Ferlazzo, and I would add that there probably won’t be luge program in Australia once he’s gone (unless they have some juniors I don’t know about). Australia does have a good amount of natural snow though, so a NTL team would be more feasible for them.

2 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Didn't hear about anyone also ;) 

Chinese Taipei had some youth sliders at the YOG, so they might actually be trying to create a program. Bosnia & Herzegovina have had a good amount of NTL sliders, but they finally had a ATL slider at the YOG too.

1 godzinę temu, Olympian1010 napisał:

Chinese Taipei had some youth sliders at the YOG, so they might actually be trying to create a program. Bosnia & Herzegovina have had a good amount of NTL sliders, but they finally had a ATL slider at the YOG too.

I ment Australia ;) Taipei had some juniors at every edition of YOG so it's nothing new in there. This young one from Bosnia even competed in WC once. To be precise in NC where he didn't finish run but still...