website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not like China is good at any of those, so there was no point in adding anything. :dunno:

Italy is probably gunning only for the natural track luge.

Ski Mountaineering too...

not only because we're good at that, but mainly because of turistical purpose...ski mountaineering on the Dolomites...probably the it would lead to some of the most amazing and iconic pictures ever in the history of the Games...

55 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

That seems doubtful, unless they basically destroy the whole thing by turning it into an indoor hall...which would just be terrible.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That seems doubtful, unless they basically destroy the whole thing by turning it into an indoor hall...which would just be terrible.

it's impossible...it's an historical monument that can't be touched in almost all the outside features...the shape, the marble stands (they can't even think to install temporary individual seats), the façade, the socalled "imperial box" (basically, the V.I.P. main stand)...

not even a temporary roof is allowed in the park where the stadium is located...

it's all protected and disciplined by local and national laws that can't be easily bypassed, as I wrote before...

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's impossible...it's an historical monument that can't be touched in almost all the outside features...the shape, the marble stands (they can't even think to install temporary individual seats), the façade, the socalled "imperial box" (basically, the V.I.P. main stand)...

not even a temporary roof is allowed in the park where the stadium is located...

it's all protected and disciplined by local and national laws that can't be easily bypassed, as I wrote before...

That's excellent. That means no Olympic speed skating there unfortunately, but better preserve a monument like that than destroy it for two weeks of sports.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

34 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not like China is good at any of those, so there was no point in adding anything. :dunno:

Italy is probably gunning only for the natural track luge.

Different procedure with little to do with the host. I don't see the IOC introduce it just to scrap it in 2030, nor I see it as a permanent olympic discipline.

47 minutes ago, phelps said:

I fear that at the end of an endless discussion, they would eventually end up with a temporary pavillion in the 2015 World Expo area, if not the good old Lingotto pavillion in Turin that already hosted the 2006 Speedskating events (which would be unacceptable to me...Turin must be kept far from these Games as pestis)...

Which would be the worst possible outcome. A soulless venue that we already have seen 20 years before. Yeah, the excitement.

Anyway, when there is a will, there might be a way. I remember the Arenes in Nimes being covered in the early 90's which hosted a few handball and tennis matches.

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

That's a shame, but it's better than a track for the horse.

Sala show once again that he is jus unable to be a major

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Which would be the worst possible outcome. A soulless venue that we already have seen 20 years before. Yeah, the excitement.

Anyway, when there is a will, there might be a way. I remember the Arenes in Nimes being covered in the early 90's which hosted a few handball and tennis matches.

it's not likely here, as we have different laws (much more conservative) about monuments like that (it's the same for the Colosseo in Rome...there's no chance to use it for anything, it's there just to be watched as it is by the tourists)...

as I wrote, Baselga as it is right now (outdoor venue, of course with temporary stands for the big event) or a soulless pavillion in the Expo area of Milan are the only realistic chances for the Speedskating track (the Turin solution is the last chance option, nobody -except the Turin's politicians, who aim at sharing the IOC and government's funding more then anything- really wants it)...

meanwhile the only logical option (building a true permanent indoor oval beside the Forum Milanofiori, where the Olympic Fugure Skating and Short Track Speedskating are going to be held and where there's so much space you can build a new town rather than a single sport arena) has never been taken into consideration and probably it will never be...:facepalm: :wall:

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Yes, Beijing choosed not to add any new sport.

There are very little to chose from anyway, the only 3 recognized winter federations not already present at the winter games being : Ski Mountaineering, Bandy and Climbing (ice climbing). 

Interesting. Hoping that Norway gets the Olympics at some point so that we can get ski flying. 

58 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's not likely here, as we have different laws (much more conservative) about monuments like that (it's the same for the Colosseo in Rome...there's no chance to use it for anything, it's there just to be watched as it is by the tourists)...

as I wrote, Baselga as it is right now (outdoor venue, of course with temporary stands for the big event) or a soulless pavillion in the Expo area of Milan are the only realistic chances for the Speedskating track (the Turin solution is the last chance option, nobody -except the Turin's politicians, who aim at sharing the IOC and government's funding more then anything- really wants it)...

meanwhile the only logical option (building a true permanent indoor oval beside the Forum Milanofiori, where the Olympic Fugure Skating and Short Track Speedskating are going to be held and where there's so much space you can build a new town rather than a single sport arena) has never been taken into consideration and probably it will never be...:facepalm: :wall:

But isn't Baselga impossible as long as it's outdoor? I mean, I thought it had to be an indoor venue, like that's one of the prerequisites. Having outdoor skating at the Olympics would be awesome and every outdoor rink that's being turned into an indoor hall is a knife in the heart of the sport (looking at you, Inzell idiots, you messed up something so wonderful) but it seems...unlikely.