website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

3 hours ago, phelps said:

yesss! :cheer:

5 events: men and women's Sprint race; men and women's Individual race and Mixed Team Relay...

24 quota for men, 24 quota also for women (obviously)...

now I hope our politicians won't start any stupid fight to host the sport and our NOC chooses the wonderful, unmatched landscape of the Dolomites to stage all of those races...

I'm sure we already have the pictures of the Games, if not the pictures of the history of the Games...

unfortuantely, those idiots of the IOC once again totally ignored Natural Track Luge, because Japan, USA and many others can add their most successful sport to increase their medal chances at their disposal (even if for a single edition of the Games), but Italy just can't...:facepalm: :wall:

You do realize natural track luge isn't a new sport, rather a discipline? The full event program won't be decided till next year and if the FIL wants natural track luge it will likely get it (as long as not quotas are increased)

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

You do realize natural track luge isn't a new sport, rather a discipline? The full event program won't be decided till next year and if the FIL wants natural track luge it will likely get it (as long as not quotas are increased)

to me it's a full new sport, even if administered by the same federation of an existing one...

however, even if you're right, I'm pretty sure NTL won't be included in the 2026 Games' program...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

to me it's a full new sport, even if administered by the same federation of an existing one...

however, even if you're right, I'm pretty sure NTL won't be included in the 2026 Games' program...

It won't be included because of the 2900 athletes cap. Luge would need to be willing to cut like 20 athletes from artificial luge, which will be hard especially since they are going to need to add women's doubles from the existing athlete quota sooner rather than later.

• 6 months later...

SLED DOG RACING AT THE OLYMPICS???

Yes, I want it. I used to this thing when I was in the highschool and at the university. Great thing, we owned 2 siberian huskies, my friend had another 2, and we had 4 dogs pulling one sled.

Amateur level obviously, but what-a-fun-that-was!!!!

Just came here to ask if we already know which event will be added on Italy's request, but apparently this already has been answered ...

So Russia got figure skating team, China got aerials team and Italy got a whole new sport? Hopefully this nonsense will disappear again. For me 90 % of the charm of becoming olympic champion is about being able to read your name in the history books next to the names of other great champions of the past.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

16 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Just came here to ask if we already know which event will be added on Italy's request, but apparently this already has been answered ...

So Russia got figure skating team, China got aerials team and Italy got a whole new sport? Hopefully this nonsense will disappear again. For me 90 % of the charm of becoming olympic champion is about being able to read your name in the history books next to the names of other great champions of the past.

no, wait...Italy wanted Natural Track Luge to be added...and we've been denied once again, like in 2006 (because the German President of FIL didn't want Italy and especially Austria to get 3/4 easy gold medals)...

Ski Mountaineering was added by FIS request...

25 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, wait...Italy wanted Natural Track Luge to be added...and we've been denied once again, like in 2006 (because the German President of FIL didn't want Italy and especially Austria to get 3/4 easy gold medals)...

Ski Mountaineering was added by FIS request...

Nope, Ski Mountaineering was added at the request of local organizers according to the IOC. Also, SkiMo is governed by the IMSF, not FIS.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

There won't be any NTL at Cortina. FIL allready confirmed that they will only propose the introduction of wommen double in 2026.

https://www.fil-luge.org/en/news/fil-executive-board-applies-with-women-s-doubles-as-new-olympic-event-for-the-olympic-winter-games-milano-cortina-2026

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Nope, Ski Mountaineering was added at the request of local organizers according to the IOC. Also, SkiMo is governed by the IMSF, not FIS.

yes, you're right...it's IMSF...

but I can assure it was just a plan B...our NOC wanted badly NTL to be added to the program, but once we got screwed once again by FIL and IOC, it did open the door for SkiMo...

by the way, I really hope we sweep all those races in 2026, just to be able to say a big "fuck you" to FIL and IOC (which is not supporting the 2026 Games as they should do, trying to find every little issue to go against our local organizers)...

Been wondering in the last few days what events might be added/removed from the existing programme. I imagine the final programme will be confirmed in 2023-24?

Alpine Skiing: think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that combined will be swapped out for parallel

Biathlon: don't expect any changes; IBU might push for single mixed relay but doubt IOC will accept

Bobsleigh: probably the same; don't think women's side has enough strength in depth for four-woman yet despite what IOC may want

CC Skiing: no changes

Curling: no changes, but I hope mixed doubles gets a few more quotas; offers a good chance for non-traditional countries to be competitive

Figure Skating: no changes

Freestyle Skiing: mixed team aerials might get removed; FIS will push for dual moguls but again I doubt it'll be added. Eurosport commentator during SBX the other day mentioned about mixed team ski cross being potentially added?

Ice Hockey: no changes

Luge: IOC will definitely push to add women's doubles, but it's not even a World Cup discipline yet, so hopefully not

Nordic Combined: the women now have a regular World Cup calendar, so I expect a women's normal hill event and maybe mixed team event?

Short Track: no changes

Skeleton: no changes

Ski Jumping: think an extra women's event will be added; unsure whether it'll be an individual large hill or team normal hill event

Snowboarding: don't expect any changes; Italian organisers might hope to add parallel slalom back in, or a parallel team event?

Speed Skating: doesn't seem to be any obvious changes unless Team Sprint gets added

Realistically I wouldn't anticipate lots of new events; only ones I would be confident on is alpine parallel (replacing combined), and a women's Nordic Combined event