website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2016 Discussion Thread

Vojthas

I am still surprised Slovenia does not compete in this sport.

First olympic medal took Rudolf Cvetko in 1912 (Fencing), I know you are familiar with our Swimming (Sara Isakovič) and Athletics (Primož Kozmus, Jolanda Čeplak, Brigita Bukovec,...)  medals. Do not forget about our experiences in shooting (Rajmond Debevec), and we even have very good training facilities for Equestrian (Lipica, Celje,..).

So, it is really strange not competing in this event.

BTW, as many of you I am also extremely dissapointed on media production of this wonderful sport. As we would still be living way back in 20th Century.  

• 3 months later...

Champion of Champions - sounds great and some people are trying to make it great. In my opinion "it's all about the money" as it is hosted by Qatar, that seems to want to develope in as many sports as possible. This year's edition was won by two Germans - Annika Schleu among women and Patrick Dogue among men. There were many notable names on the start list - Schöneborn, Kovács, Murray, Prokopenko, Kasza, Belaud, Cooke, Zillekens, Demeter, Svoboda and others. But not many - all together 15 women and 19 men. It's a strange time for pentathlon competition - most of the athletes are still on holiday or just back from it and only started trainings. And this year this event was at the same time as an annual coaches conference in UK, so some coaches also missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

First ten personalities have been introduced to the UIPM Hall of Fame. They are:

• Baron Pierre de Coubertin (FRA): Founder of the modern Olympic Movement and creator of Modern Pentathlon 
  • General George Smith Patton (USA): 5th place in the first Olympic Games Stockholm 1912
  • General Sven Thofelt (SWE): Gold medal in Amsterdam 1928, UIPM General Secretary
  • William Grut (SWE): Gold medal in London 1948, UIPMB General Secretary and long-serving UIPMB President
  • Pavel Lednev (USSR): Bronze medallist in Mexico 1968 and Munich 1972, silver medallist in Montreal 1976 and Moscow 1980; pentathlon legend
  • HM King Constantine (GRE): UIPM Honorary Patron, gold medallist in sailing, Rome 1960, Olympic Academy
  • Andras Balczo (HUN): Gold medallist in Munich 1972, active in the social movement after retirement
  • Juan Antonio Samaranch (ESP): IOC President (1980-2001) who opened the door for Modern Pentathlon to include women in the Olympic programme in 2000
  • Stephanie Cook (GBR): First women's gold medallist in Sydney 2000, now a respected doctor
  • Zsuzsanna Voros (HUN): Gold medallist in Athens 2004, now a pentathlon coach

Today starts the 68th UIPM Congress, we'll see, what it brings.