website statistics

Snowboarding 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Anderson and Parrot claim season's first win in Copper Mtn big air

Jamie Anderson (USA) and Max Parrot (CAN) have topped the big air field at today's Toyota U.S. Grand Prix which hosted this season's fourth big air World Cup stop. It was the first time in more than eight years that a big air World Cup took place on slope and not on a scaffolding jump.

But with the riders in full kicker swing in this early season already, the Copper Mountain event became one to remember as riders were once again working hard to push the level of their sport.

Especially in the women's competition which not only had a front double 10 by Klaudia Medlova (SVK) but also the other girls dedicated to progression – including Jamie Anderson although the 2014 Olympic slopestyle Gold medallist went 'old-school' in the women's finals which took place ahead of the men's event and saw only four of the best six girls competing after Katie Ormerod (GBR) and Kjersti Buaas (NOR) had pulled out of the event.

Anderson landed a switch backside 540 and cab 720 to earn a 151.25 in the three-run, best two count format of the finals and walked away with her career's seventh World Cup win while still feeling a bit sad about losing the chance to really show what she can:

“It was a fun day today. I really wanted to do a front 10 today but I wasn't really flowin' with frontside so I went for cab 720 and switch back 5. I'm happy, and I'm grateful. The girls were absolutely killing it. You can tell that everyone is charging.”

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing

Enni Rukajarvi (FIN, 147.00) and best qualifier Klaudia Medlova (SVK, 146.50) rounded out the podium as second and third, respectively, with Julia Marino (USA) having to settle for fourth (136.75).

Parrot has it - again

Over in the men's event, it were riders from Canada who lived up to the expectations being the favourites for the win with Max Parrot standing out of a high-level competition bringing home his career's fourth.

The 22-year-old from Bromont, QC., impressed the judges with a high and well executed backside and frontside triple 1440 scoring a 188.75. Parrot therefore led a 1-2 punch for the Maple Leaves with Sebastien Toutant (176.00) taking second

Reigning slopestyle world champion Ryan Stassel came in third with a 167.50 preventing a Canadian podium sweep with Max Eberhardt (CAN, 159.50) in fourth position.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling

However, over the last couple of days, it didn't look like Parrot would have his two tricks in store which finally earned him the win.

“I did the back triple 14 in my first run, a pretty easy trick for myself. But then I did the front triple 14, which is a trick which I had trouble with this week.

But actually yesterday I stomped it a couple of times, but I was always putting my hand down. So I'm really happy to put it down in the second run, without a hand down and pretty big.”

And given the fact that his teammate Seb Toots did stomp a cab 1620, a trick which Toutant proclaimed the “probably hardest trick today”, a slight hand drag could have cost Parrot his first rank prize money.

As a result of this high-class battle, riders are already thinking of some new tricks while going into the festive season.

While Ryan Stassel put the switch backside 1620 on his agenda as he “wasn't feeling it today with all the flat light” and Klaudia Medlova still needs “to work on the front double 10 and some other tricks as the level of the girl's riding is improving fast”, Max Parrot is thinking, too – but not talking about it:

“There is always something in my mind but we still have to keep it under radar.”

The snowboard freestyle World Cup tour will come back after the turn of the year with this season's fifth big air World Cup slated to take place in Moscow (RUS) on January 7, 2017.

Full Results Women and Men

Klaudia Medlová 3rd Place

French and Spanish teams victorious at Team SBX Montafon

Podium women Team SBX Montafon WC

France's top women pair Nelly Moenne Loccoz and Chloe Trespeuch as well as Spanish racers Laro Herrero and Lucas Eguibar have clinched the win at this season's first team snowboard cross event staged at Montafon, Austria.

Facing superb weather conditions on a once again perfectly prepared boarder cross course, last year's winners of FRA1, who had both appeared in the single race final two days ago going home with a respective fourth and second rank, dominated the women's final in style and bringing home back-to-back wins in Montafon after Moenne Loccoz had successfully gunned for the hole shot and her teammate Trespeuch kept full control of the chasing pack.

It was the perfect redemption for Moenne Loccoz who had just missed out the women's podium last Friday as unlucky fourth:

“I'm really happy to win the team event. I was really disappointed after I finished fourth here two days ago. It's good to be back on the podium. We won here last year, and now we did it again. I guess nobody can catch us when racing together [smiles],” she said before adding:

“Seriously, I like the team event. You are more relaxed, and he pressure is on two not on you all alone.”

In a tight duel for second, Raffaella Brutto and Michaela Moioli prevented a French 1-2 punch as the two members of ITA1 just crossed the finish line ahead of FRA2 consisting of up-and-coming talents Manon Petit and Charlotte Bankes.

Spanish riders with historic triumph

In the men's competition, Spanish athletes of ESP1 Laro Herrero and Lucas Eguibar secured the first team sbx win for their home country in a nail-biting final with plenty of passing and changes of the lead.

Eguibar made the decisive move on Emanuel Perathoner (ITA) and Markus Schairer (AUT) who were battling for the first spot in a super close heat - which was the best proof why this thrilling format will be part of the 2017 wold championships in Spain for the first time next March - taking the inside line between turn three and four.

“I'm super happy. We have been working a lot during summer. On Friday, I was very unlucky crashing out in the eight finals. So today was the day for me,” described Eguibar who made his teammate Herrero very happy:

“It's amazing. It's my first World Cup win. Have this first place is just incredible.

We knew we would be fast as we saw this in the qualification for the individual competition. I'm good at the start, and Lucas is really good when he is chasing the others. So it's a perfect match.”

In the end, Perathoner and his ITA1 teammate Omar Visintin, yesterday's runner-up, secured the second rank ahead of USA2 with Alex Deibold and Nick Baumgartner who capitalised on a crash of Schairer (team AUT1) on the last metres of the home stretch.

The snowboard cross World Cup tour will now take a break over the festive season returning for its second stop in Solitude (USA), the host of the 2019 sbx world championships races, where one single and one team event will be staged from January 19 till 22, 2017.

Podium men Team SBX Montafon WC

Full Results Women and Men

• 3 weeks later...

Ormerod and Khadarin secure historic wins in Moscow

Men's podium Big Air World Cup Moscow

Katie Ormerod (GBR) and Vlad Khadarin (RUS) have not only claimed their respective career's first in today's penultimate big air World Cup of the 2016-17 season staged in the Krylatskoye Sports Centre right outside of downtown Moscow (RUS).

Facing tough weather conditions with temperatures below -30 °C, the British shredder and the Russian newcomer also became the first ever to win a big air World Cup for their home country.

Vlad Khadarin came from zero to hero taking the scene by storm in the first snowboard World Cup competition of 2017 stomping a switch backside 1260 and a frontside 1440 in his first ever World Cup event earning an impressive score of 182.25 at the first big air World Cup in the Russian capital in seven years.

“That’s unbelievable, I haven’t got any other words because everything here was new for me: my first World Cup contest, my first city big air on scaffolding and the first place. I don’t know, it’s just unbelievable, it’s so great and crazy.

This is my first World Cup win but of course I’m dreaming to win others, maybe not this season but in the next years,” Khadarin said.

The third best qualifier therefore relegated Canada's Antoine Truchon (174.75) who felt like home in Quebec facing super cold temperatures and Fridtjof Tischendorf (NOR, 163.75) who eanred his career's first podium finish in his fifth start to the respective second and third rank while new big air and overall snowboard freestyle World Cup leader Seppe Smits (BEL, 156.75) had to put up with fourth.

In addition, the 18-year-old YOG 2016 slopestyle silver medallist from Russia who has been living and training in Madonna di Campiglio for the past six years after he moved to Italy aged twelve also had the guts to go for a frontside 18 in his victory lap before history was finally made in dominant fashion.

Ormerod makes race for Crystal Globe exciting again

In the women's event, Ormerod celebrated her first ever World Cup win with the smallest advantage possible.

After duelling with this season's three-time World Cup winner Anna Gasser in the women's finals stomping the same tricks like her Austrian rival (backside 720 and cab 540), the 19-year-old goofy rider earned a 153.75 and therefore only 0.25 more than Gasser.

“It feels amazing, I’ve always wanted to win a World Cup, and I’m really happy to win it here. I hope there’s more to come,” she commented.

“I hope to get the Crystal Globe in Quebec City, I would love to get another podium and hopefully will win in Quebec. I just keep pushing and try to get it again.”

However, this won't be an easy task as Gasser who successfully came back from a knee injury today still comfortably leads the women's ranking ahead of Ormerod with only one more big air World Cup to come on February 11, 2017 in Quebec City (CAN). The event will also serve as final of the three-stop Super Series.

Ormerod has to win to edge off Gasser of the top spot in the women's ranking but the Austrian would definitely take home her career's first World Cup title if finishing eight in Quebec next month.

As a result, the 25-year-old Carinthian stated: “I’m actually just happy to be down here healthy after really challenging conditions, I’ve just come back from a small injury, so the second place feels like a win for me today.”

Best qualifier Klaudia Medlova (SVK, 117.50) rounded out the podium as third.

The snowboard freestyle World Cup tour continues in Kreischberg (AUT) with this season's first slopestyle event slated to take place from January 13 – 14, 2017

Full Results Men and Women

Women's podium Big Air World Cup Moscow

Ulbing and Mick triumph in Bad Gastein to take over World Cup lead

Daniela Ulbing and Christoph Mick take over World Cup lead due to winning the Bad Gastein PSL

Daniela Ulbing (AUT) and Christoph Mick (ITA) have claimed victory at the 2016-17 alpine snowboard World Cup season's second parallel slalom which was staged today under the lights on the Bucheben slope.

Right in the heart of Bad Gastein, at the foot of the Stubnerkogel Mountain, both racers were also able to take over the lead in the race for the PSL World Cup title.

And a change of the lead in the World Cup ranking did just suit this classic of the snowboard World Cup tour which has been part of the show for 17 consecutive years now.

In fact, Bad Gastein did host its 55th snowboard World Cup competition today. And as if that would not have been enough, the parallel slalom staged in direct knock out rounds marked also the 150th ever FIS World Cup event in the Salzburg countryside.

As a result, the stellar crowd featured the likes of Kathrin Gutensohn and 1968 Olympic champion Olga Pall who had won the very first FIS World Cup race in Bad Gastein staged back on January 17, 1968.

Women's podium PSL WC Bad Gastein with 2nd Michelle Dekker (NED), 1st Daniela Ulbing (AUT) and 3rd Sabine Schoeffmann (AUT)

Career's first for up-and-coming talent

Both former Austrian ski stars witnessed some thrilling head-to-head duels with best qualifier Daniela Ulbing bringing home the win in the women's competition.

It was her career's first after the 18-year-old shooting star had placed on the podium only once in her 10 World Cup starts before (2nd in Cortina Dec 2016).

“I don't really know what to say. I'm a little bit speechless. I'm super happy about my first win. It's nice as all of my friends are here and able to celebrate this one with me,” Ulbing said.

“I just tried to do what I can, and tried to stay calm, especially when I was behind. I tried to take it easy. I hope I can tie on to this in the next races and will try to keep the momentum.”

Dutch athlete Michelle Dekker secured her first ever World Cup podium celebrating a surprising second rank finish with Sabine Schoeffmann (AUT) rounding out the women's podium in third.

It was a good race. I'm really happy about my first ever podium. Now, I'm excited to race the next World Cup race in Rogla end of the month. I hope I can do the same thing there,” explained Dekker who will miss out tomorrow's team event.

Men's podium PSL WC Bad Gastein with 2nd Kaspar Fluetsch (SUI), 1st Christoph Mick (ITA) and 3rd Andreas Prommegger (AUT)

Mick does it again

On the men's side of things, Mick, a 28-year-old racer from Bolzano, celebrated his career's second beating Swiss racer Kaspar Fluetsch in a heartbeat final of the men's competition which saw local hero Andreas Prommegger rounding out the podium as third.

I'm feeling great. I had some ups and downs in the qualification but managed to stay focused in the finals. I'm happy about my career's second win,” Mick stated.

And while the South Tyrolean celebrated his win on the shoulders oh his team mates, Kaspar Fluetsch was also pleased – although beaten by 0.09 seconds:

It was a perfect day, a perfect event. I never thought to get that far as I had to qualify with start number 31. I'm very happy with this performance. This is a great start into the new year.”

The alpine snowboard World Cup tour continues tomorrow with this season's first parallel slalom team event slated to take place on the Bucheben slope at 1:30 PM CET.

Full Results Men and Women

36 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

But the mixed event is cancelled? :mumble: I can't find any news about it

why cancelled? the race just finished. Team Austria I (Claudia Rieber/Benjamin Karl) won. 2nd SUI II, 3rd AUT III.

your team with yesterdays winner Christoph Mick lost surprisingly with Japan in 1st round.

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

why cancelled? the race just finished. Team Austria I (Claudia Rieber/Benjamin Karl) won. 2nd SUI II, 3rd AUT III.

your team with yesterdays winner Christoph Mick lost surprisingly with Japan in 1st round.

Thanks a lot, the mobile FIS app don't work for this event :hatoff: