website statistics

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Takanashi on top in Hinzenbach

96544_G08_W01.jpg

Sara Takanashi won the first Individual Competition of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Hinzenbach (AUT). With jumps to 87,5 and 91,0 meters she achieved 241,1 points and her 51st World Cup victory. Takanashi said afterwards: “My jumps got better and better here with every round. On Friday in the training I was not happy with my performance. But today my approach to the take-off was much better.”

Great result for German team
Places two and three went to the German team. Katharina Althaus set a new career best on second place ahead of Olympic champion Carina Vogt. Althaus set her jumps to 89,0 and 88,5 meters and got 237,9 points. She said: “I am extremely happy with this result. My jumping was really good and it´s even better sharing the podium with a teammate.”

Vogt back on the podium
Carina Vogt achieved her first World Cup podium since February 1st 2015 – in Hinzenbach. With 88,5 and 87,0 meters and 234,0 points she finished third and said: “The performance of the whole team got better and better during the last weeks. I am really happy to be back on the podium and am already looking forward to the World Championships.” On 4th place Japans Yuki Ito missed out on the podium by only 3,2 points and stayed 0,1 point ahead of the best Austrian lady Daniela Iraschko-Stolz on 5th place with 230,7 points.

Hoelzl can´t use pole position
Chiara Hoelzl, who was the outstanding athlete throughout all training sessions and also in the lead after the first round, could not quite keep it together in the final and went down to 6th place with 224,8 points. Yuka Seto on 7th place completed a great team result for Japan, Maren Lundby still could not make friends with the hill in Hinzenbach yet and came in 8th. In front of almost 1.500 spectators Jaqueline Seifriedsberger came in 9th as the third Austrian in the top ten. Svenja Wuerth confirmed her steady performances of the last weeks and finished 10th ahead of the best US-girl Nita Englund.

Slovenia missing out on top ten
Slovenia still is struggling, Spela Rogelj and Maja Vtic came in 12th and 13th ahead of Sarah Hendrickson and the best Russian athlete Irina Avvakumova. Julia Kykkaenen saved a good 16th place for Finland, Lucile Morat was the best French on 17th place. The 15-year old Austrian Marita Kramer had a good first World Cup competition and came in 29th. The second competition in Hinzenbach starts on Sunday at 1 pm.

Full Results Here

Stefan Kraft soars to victory in Oberstdorf

2Q==

Austria's Stefan Kraft won this season's first Ski Flying event on the HS 225 Heini-Klopfer-hill in Oberstdorf, which was reconstructed for 12 million Euro. Kraft took the win in front of 19 000 enthusiastic fans with jumps of 227.5 m and 218 m (439.9 points). Only 5.1 points behind, Andreas Wellinger (234.5 m and 222.5 m; 434.8 points) came in second. Wellinger provided the highlight of the day with his record jump of 234.5 m on the reconstructed hill. The third place went to World Cup leader Kamil Stoch of Poland (222.5 m and 217 m; 425.4 points).

Today's winner was more than happy after his triumph: "Ski Flying is always something very special for me. I'm always looking forward to it and that I was able to get my first win in Ski Flying here in Oberstdorf is amazing. It's a really nice day. Ski Flying is the coolest and most exciting thing there is, but I have to stay calm. Tomorrow I don't care about the result I just want to fly over the hill size twice in the competition." This was Kraft's sixth win in the World Cup, the second this season and the first ever in Ski Flying. Stefan Kraft is the first athlete since Martin Schmitt 2000/01, who could win on the large and the flying hill in Oberstdorf in one season. He was already the best in the opening event of the 4-Hills-Tournament on December 30th, 2016 in the Erdinger Arena.

Local hero Andreas Wellinger, who won in Willingen last weekend and is still in a fantastic shape, provided the highlight of the day. With a great jump of 234.5 m and a smooth landing he enthused the fans and himself. He obviously enjoyed the celebrations in the outrun for a couple of minutes after his jump. "It was really close between Stefan and me in the final. My first jump with the new hill record was amazing, and landing it with a telemark was a really, really cool feeling. I'm in a great shape at the moment so it's pretty easy for me right now", said Wellinger. Today's result was the first ever podium finish for the Bavarian in a Ski Flying World Cup.

Third-placed Kamil Stoch was impressed by the new Heini-Klopfer-hill: "The hill is very well prepared and I also like the new profile. I was really enjoying this competition today, it was very nice to fly. Yesterday I had some problems in the inrun, so today I was focusing only on my technique and nothing else. I think this will also be a good plan for tomorrow, just to focus on myself and what I need to do and not on the result."

Norwegian Daniel Andre Tande finished fourth with 418.2 points, followed by the two Prevc brothers Domen (410.9 points) and Peter (392.8 points). Michael Hayboeck and Markus Eisenbichler were seventh and eighth, ahead of Poland's Piotr Zyla. Richard Freitag completed the Top 10. 

After the first competition on this hill, athletes and coaches were satisfied with the facility. "This is a very good hill with a good atmosphere, also because the spectators are very close to the landing area and the outrun. The atmosphere in this stadium is amazing", said German head coach Werner Schuster.

Poland's Kamil Stoch leads the overall World Cup ranking with 1038 points, ahead of Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (903 points) and Domen Prevc of Slovenia (831 points). Stefan Kraft is fourth, best German athlete is Markus Eisenbichler with 509 points.

The second Ski Flying event in Oberstdorf starts on Sunday at 3:00 pm CET.

Full Results Here

Takanashi unbeatable in Hinzenbach

9k=

Japans Sara Takanashi also won the second competition of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Hinzenbach (AUT). Jumps to 89,0 and 92,0 meters brought her 254,8 points and her 52nd World Cup victory. Germanys Carina Vogt and Maren Lundby of Norway came in 2nd and 3rd.

Takanashi surprised herself
Takanashi said afterwards: „I was surprised with my victory because my jumping was not so good today. I made a few mistakes. Carina is a great competitor. She is very strong both mentally and physically. Her jump was a good motivation for me.“

Vogt presented herself
Carina Vogt presented herself on her 25th birthday with her second podium of the weekend after place three on Saturday. 88,0 and 91,0 meters and 250,0 points proved her great shape. Vogt said: „It was the perfect birthday present form e. I think I am on a very good way and am looking forward for next challenges.“ Maren Lundby finally made friends with the hill in Hinzenbach and celebrated her 7th podium of the season with 85,5 and 89,0 meters and 245,2 points.

Lundby got over herself
Lundby said: „I was struggling with my inrun position in the first days here. Today it worked much better and I am happy to finish on the podium.“ On fourth place Daniela Iraschko-Stolz missed out on the podium by only 1,9 points after a strong performance with jumps to 86,0 and 89,0 meters. Katharina Althaus, 2nd on Saturday, finished 5th with 242,2 points ahead of Chiara Hoelzl of Austria. Yuki Ito of Japan lost quite a few points in the competition for the overall World Cup and came in 7th, Jaqueline Seifriedsberger underlined a good Austrian team performance on 8th place ahead of the third German lady in the top ten Svenja Wuerth. Maja Vtic was on 10th place best Slovenian athlete.

Morat best of France
Lucile Morat once again was best French jumper, finishing 12th behind Ramona Straub and ahead of Yuka Seto. Julia Kykkaenen improved further and came in 15th behind Spela Rogelj. Sarah Hendrickson was the best US girl on 17th place, Irina Avvakumova the best jumper from Russia despite a fall in the final round on 19th place. Elena Runggaldier and Evelyn Insam secured points for Italy on 22 and 27. Atsuko Tanaka scored for Canada on 28th place.

Takanashi on her way to the title
In the overall World Cup Sara Takanashi expanded her lead with now 1195 points to 267 points ahead of Yuki Ito. Maren Lundby remains third with 789 points. Next stage of the Ladies World Cup is next weekend Ljubno (SLO).

Full Results Here

Stefan Kraft again the best ski flyer

2Q==

Only gusty wind could stop the great Ski Flying party on the new Heini-Klopfer-hill in Oberstdorf. The strong wind lead to the cancellation of the final and so Austria's Stefan Kraft could already celebrate his second win in the Ski Flying World Cup within 24 hours after only one round. Andreas Wellinger set another hill record and came in second again, Norway's Daniel Andre Tande was fourth again. The third place went to Slovenia's Jurij Tepes.

The first round on the Heini-Klopfer-hill was held under good conditions. The outstanding performance was once again shown by Germany's Andreas Wellinger, who had yet another record flight. After 234.5 m on Saturday, he landed at unbelievable 238 m on Sunday - enthusiastically celebrated by the crowd. Right after Wellinger, Stefan Kraft had an amazing jump of 235.5 m, worse wind conditions for the Austrian meant more compensation points and a clear lead for Kraft.

Then in the break the wind suddenly got stronger. "This was very surprising for us. All of a sudden we had gusts from 4 m/s tail wind to 4 m/s head wind. Ski Flying is not possible under such conditions. It would have been dangerous", explained Borek Sedlak, assistant of FIS Race Director Walter Hofer and responsible for the start of the athletes. The jury had to cancel the final round after the start was delayed for ten minutes various times.

"I would have wanted to attack Stefan again in the second round, but the conditions didn't allow that. Now we shared the success this weekend. Stefan got the wins, I set the hill records", said record holder Wellinger.

Stefan Kraft, who took his seventh World Cup win today, was overjoyed after his second win in Oberstdorf: "I think this was one of the best flights of my career. I saw Andi jump before me and he was extremely high. I analyzed yesterday's jumps and saw that there's still room for improvement. Today I attacked even more, the conditions were perfect for that today", said Kraft.

Slovenia's Jurij Tepes was also very satisfied with his third place: "Finally I could show good jumps here in Oberstdorf, the first one in the qualification was also very good. On Friday I was disappointed because I didn't jump well, but today it was great", said Tepes.

Once again Daniel Andre Tande closely missed the podium. The Norwegian came in fourth for the seventh time this season. He tied for fourth with Slovenia's Peter Prevc, for whom this was the best result since Ruka late November.

Best Pole in today's Ski Flying event in Oberstdorf was not Kamil Stoch, but Maciej Kot in sixth. Overall World Cup leader Stoch finished ninth, right behind his teammate Piotr Zyla. The seventh place went to Domen Prevc, who was fifth on Saturday and can definitely be satisfied with the performances in his first Ski Flying competitions.

Behind Michael Hayboeck of Austria (10th) and Germany's Richard Freitag (11th), veteran Noriaki Kasai,  the 1992 Ski Flying World Champion, proved that he is still a strong ski flyer, even 25 years after this success.

Kamil Stoch of Poland still leads the overall World Cup with 1067 points, ahead of Daniel Andre Tande of Norway (953 points) and Stefan Kraft (920 points) who is now ahead of Slovenia's Domen Prevc (867 points).

The World Cup continues next weekend in Sapporo (JPN).

-----------------

Good news from Schlierenzauer

In the qualification Gregor Schlierenzauer provided a moment of shock when he fell after the landing. After the competition there was some good news from the Austrian. "Gregor didn't sustain any fractures, he has severe bruises and there will be further medical checks this evening. It was a normal telemark landing, then the right ski got under the left one and he fell. He handled it very well, but such things happen", explained head coach Heinz Kuttin. "Gregor will now analyze it, it won't be easy, I hope that the pain will not be too strong in the next days", Kuttin concluded.

Full results Here

Peter Prevc and Maciej Kot share the win in Sapporo

Z

There were two winners in the first of two Ski Jumping World Cups in Sapporo (JPN). Poland's Maciej Kot and Slovenia's Peter Prevc tied for first in Saturday's FIS Ski Jumping World Cup. Both scored a total of 260.2 points. Prevc jumped on 143 m (longest jump of the day) and 134 m, Maciej Kot had jumps of 139 m and 138 m. Austria's Stefan Kraft, who won in Oberstdorf twice last weekend and is still in a top shape, came in third, Andreas Wellinger closely missed the podium.

This was the first win in the World Cup for Maciej Kot: "It feels great to win. It's my first win in the World Cup, hopefully it won't be my last. It wasn't an easy competition for me, the weather was not that good, but I had two really good jumps. I was working very hard to achieve this and it means a lot to me. Before my second jump I didn't think about the possible victory. I was in similar situations in summer, when I was in the lead after the first round. This made it easier for me now. I was also in the lead in Klingenthal this season and learned a lot then."

For Prevc this was the first win this season, after the Slovene dominated the last winter. "I'm really happy. It has been quite a long time since my last podium. I was not that good in the trial round today, but I knew what I had to do to jump far in the competition. In the first round I also had good conditions. I hope I can perform that well again tomorrow, just be calm and enjoy jumping", said Prevc, who was cheered on by many Slovenian fans. This was already his 22nd win in the World Cup, the fourth in Sapporo. Prevc won a competition in Sapporo in each of the last four seasons.

Only 2.7 points behind, Stefan Kraft was third: "Yesterday I was struggling a bit here on this hill, but today I had a really good feeling right from the start. It's fantastic that I could be on the podium again. I feel really good right now, I enjoy jumping and that's why it's going so well. I never have problems with the time difference, I like such trips and now together with PyeongChang I think it's very cool. One of my goals this year was to be among the best in the overall World Cup and I will definitely fight for it."

Kraft is third in the overall World Cup with 980 points, he is now exactly 100 points behind leader Kamil Stoch, who had a big mistake in the second round and finished only 18th today. Norway's Daniel Andre Tande, who was seventh on Saturday, is second with 989 points.

Wellinger and Eisenbichler strong

Andreas Wellinger missed the podium in fourth. The Bavarian came in ten points behind Stefan Kraft in third. Behind Czech Roman Koudelka (5th), Markus Eisenbichler, who showed yet another convincing performance, was sixth. With Richard Freitag, who tied for eleventh with Swiss Simon Ammann, and Karl Geiger in 13th, the German jumpers achieved a top team result. Besides today's winner Maciej Kot, Jan Ziobro (9th) and Piotr Zyla (10th) also achieved Top 10 results for Poland. The Polish team has a clear lead ahead of Austria and Germany in the Nation's Cup and is the favorite for the World Championships in Lahti (FIN) starting two weeks from now.

Domen Prevc last with 97 m

The Prevc brothers had some ups and downs today, despite Peter's success. 17-year-old Domen Prevc, who was in an outstanding shape earlier this season, is not doing well in Sapporo this weekend. The youngest of the three brothers had not one normal jump here so far, although he was on the podium at this venue last year. Domen Prevc is far from finding his flying system. His brother Cene also failed to qualify for the final round in 44th.

Disappointing day for the hosts

Besides Taku Takeuchi and veteran Noriaki Kasai, four other athletes of Japan also missed the cut for the final round. Only Daiki Ito, Yuken Iwasa and Junshiro Kobayashi represented Team Nippon in the Top 30. "Of course Noriaki can do better. Today he had difficult conditions right after the take-off and the jump was not that good either", Kasai's Finnish coach Janne Vaeaetaeinen explained the early end of the competition for the crowd's favorite.

The second competition in Sapporo will start on Sunday at 10:00 am local time (2:00 am CET).

Full Results Here

Lundby the best in Ljubno

Z

Maren Lundby won the first FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Ljubno (SLO). The Norwegian took her 4th win of the season with jumps to 92,5 and 95,0 meters and 256,7 points ahead of Austria´s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and Katharina Althaus of Germany.

Takanashi and Ito not in Ljubno
The World Cup leaders Sara Takanashi and Yuki Ito of Japan are not starting in Ljubno but taking some training days in Japan before the competitions in Pyeongchang and the World Championships. Lundby said afterwards: “I am very happy with my victory. The atmosphere was great, the crowd gave me at least five meters more.”

Huge crowd in Slovenia
In front of 7.000 spectators Daniela Iraschko-Stolz delivered a tough fight for the victory. 90,0 and 94,5 meters and 251,1 points gave her the second place. Iraschko-Stolz said: “It was awesome jumping here. It’s the biggest crowd we have in the World Cup. I was trying my best to win but Maren was better today.” On third place Katharina Althaus had 89,5 and 92,0 meters and 245,6 points. The German said: “It was really fun today and I am very happy with this result. We are on a very good way for the World Championships.”

German fight for podium
Carina Vogt, who was still on shared third place with Althaus after the first round, missed out on the podium by only 0,6 points with 89,5 and 92,5 meters. Local hero Ema Klinec was the best of the Slovenian team with 241,1 points on 5th place. Jaqueline Seifriedsberger, with 240,2 points on 6th place and Chiara Hoelzl on 9th place secured a great team result for Austria.

Malsiner leaving out
Junior World Champion Manuela Malsiner of Italy came in 7th and left out on a possible podium position due to a bad landing in the final round. Svenja Wuerth was the third German in the top ten finishing 8th. Maja Vtic came in 10th ahead of Julia Kykkaenen of Finland, who made the best result of this season. Nita Englund was the best of the US team coming in 12th, Spela Rogelj of Slovenia came in 13th ahead of Elena Runggaldier and Ramona Straub. Best French athlete was Lea Lemare on 16th place, the only Japanese jumper in Ljubno, Kaori Iwabuchi, came in 20th.

Avvakumova injured - Barannikova best Russian
This place she had to share with Anastasiya Barannikova. While teammate Irina Avvakumova suffered a broken rib with a fall in Hinzenbach last week and can´t compete in Ljubno, Barannikova was best Russian athlete.

On Sunday the qualification in Ljubno starts at 11.45, the competition is on from 13.00 (CET).

Full Results Here

Kamil Stoch fights back in Sapporo

9k=

Kamil Stoch of Poland won the second FIS Ski Jumping World Cup competition in Sapporo. With a strong final jump, Stoch was able to come in ahead of half-time leader Andreas Wellinger. 137.5 m and 140 m (262.7 point) Kamil Stoch took a relatively clear win ahead of Andreas Wellinger (140.5 m and 132 m; 255.3 points). Stefan Kraft of Austria repeated his third place from the day before with jumps of 137 m and 139 m. Markus Eisenbichler fell in the final, didn't suffer any injuries and still finished in the Top 10. The competition took place under difficult wind conditions.

Stoch was able to solve the problems he had in Saturday's event over night and celebrated his 21st win in the World Cup. "Today was a much better day for me. Yesterday I had some problems, especially in the air, today everything worked well and so I could jump much better."

On Saturday Stoch lost some ground in the fight for the overall title with his 18th place, today he was able to extend his lead again.

"Actually I'm not afraid to lose the yellow bib. I don't really care if I get to wear it or not. I'm just trying to have fun. I know how hard it is to be where I am now and how much work is necessary in order to remain on this level. I know nothing about the hill in PyeongChang, I have never been there before. I think it will be a new and very good experience", Stoch said with a look towards the next venue.

Second-placed Andreas Wellinger is still in a top shape and missed his third win in the World Cup only by a few points. "In the first round I had head wind in the final part of the jump so I got to fly. In the second round I think that my jump was okay as well, but I only had head wind after the take off. The conditions are often changing here and you have to deal with it. I'm satisfied with today's competition, even though the conditions were difficult. When you look at the result list and see that, for example, Maciej Kot had - 26 points and I had only - 9 points, then that makes a big difference", said Wellinger.

Stefan Kraft in third was also completely satisfied with his second podium finish this weekend. "I'm totally satisfied. The competition was not easy, so you also need luck to be on the podium and I'm happy that I had it. My jumps were also really good, especially the second one today was amazing. It was a lot of fun. I have never been to South Korea and so I'm looking forward to going there. I heard that the hill there is very nice. Hopefully the weather and the conditions will be good for the Olympic test events."

Saturday's winner Maciej Kot was fourth and provided yet another fantastic result for the Polish team. Daniel Andre Tande could also be satisfied again with his performance. He was the best Norwegian in fifth. Peter Prevc, one of two winners yesterday, finished sixth on Sunday and showed another strong performance. Peter Prevc is obviously on his way back to his best shape and definitely one of the top contenders for the upcoming Nordic World Championships.

Norway's Robert Johansson always proves to be an expert for difficult conditions. He came in seventh, ahead of the best Japanese, Daiki Ito, who was followed by Markus Eisenbichler and crowd favorite Vincent Descombes Sevoie of France.

Moment of shock for Eisenbichler

Markus Eisenbichler, who was in a good position after the first round, provided a short moment of shock with a crash after the landing: "My chest hurts a bit, but apart from that I'm feeling fine. Actually I was pretty satisfied with my jump, but such mistakes happen. I'm still satisfied with the competition, I had to good jumps at the take-off and I'm happy about that", Eisenbichler explained after his good jump, that ended with a crash due to a mistake after the landing.

Swiss Simon Ammann will probably also be happy with how this weekend went for him. After an eleventh place on Saturday he finished 14th on Sunday. The four-time Olympic champion finally shows an upward trend again. 

Kamil Stoch now leads the overall World Cup with 1180 points ahead of Stefan Kraft (1040 points) and Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (1034 points), who is now third.

The World Cup continues on Wednesday and Thursday with the Olympic test events in PyeongChang (KOR).

Full Results Here