website statistics

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Stefan Kraft first winner on the final weekend

Z

Austria's Stefan Kraft won the first of three Ski Flying event on the final weekend of the Ski Jumping season in Planica (SLO). With jumps of 243 m and 240.5 m (490.2 points), the 23-year-old of the club SV Schwarzach took a clear win ahead of the two Germans Andreas Wellinger and Markus Eisenbichler. After this win the overall World Cup title is now within reach for Kraft. The fight for the crystal globe will be decided in the final individual competition on Sunday.

"Right now it's going very, very well for me. My two jumps in the competition today were sensational again, also the trial round was very good. Everything worked out perfectly and it was a lot of fun. I tried to enjoy it today and it was simply awesome. Yesterday was not that good, but we analyzed it afterwards so I could improve today", said Kraft, for whom this was already the seventh win this season.

The two Germans Andreas Wellinger (235 m and 235 m; 480.4 points) and Markus Eisenbichler (243.5 m and 236 m; 461.8 points) could show a strong performance again and came in second and third. "The three of us have been on the podium together before and of course you also want to win, but Markus and I showed a great performance today with really cool jumps. I'm extremely happy that I can jump on such a high level at the moment. We are not the top favorites in the team event tomorrow, but if everyone us shows a solid performance we can be on the podium again", said Wellinger, who could follow up on his strong performances during the RAW AIR Tour.

For Markus Eisenbichler this was the third podium finish of his career: "This hill here is a bit different than Vikersund and I have always had problems here. This year I came here in a better shape and I enjoyed jumping here right from the start. For me personally, this is my most emotional podium finish because Ski Flying was the reason I started Ski Jumping. This makes it extremely special for me to be on the podium here. I have to continue working, because the goal must be to stand on top of the podium one day."

In this competition on a very high level, veteran Noriaki Kasai could once again prove his outstanding Ski Flying skills and finished fourth. Kasai's jumps of 221 m and 235.5 m enthused the 20 000 fans and earned him the fourth place in the Ski Flying World Cup - incredible. Close behind Kasai, Poland's Kamil Stoch came in fifth and lost important points in his battle for the overall World Cup and Ski Flying World Cup title with Stefan Kraft. After today's result he only has a theoretical chance to take one of the two overall wins.

Michael Hayboeck in sixth, Piotr Zyla in seventh, Robert Johansson in eighth, Andreas Fannemel in ninth and Slovenia's Peter Prevc completed the Top 10 in an event that was carried out under summer-like temperatures of 17° C.

The second of three competitions this weekend will be the team event on Saturday, the final individual competition of the season will then take place on Sunday. Both competitions start at 10:00 am CET (trial round at 9:00 am).

Stefan Kraft now leads the overall World Cup with 1565 points, ahead of Kamil Stoch (1479 points) and Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (1201 points). The fight for the Nation's Cup will also be exciting. Currently Poland is in the lead with 5427 points, followed by Austria (5201 points) and Germany (5008 points).

Full Results Here

Norway the best team in Planica

9k=

The team of Norway, with Robert Johansson, Johann Andre Forfang, Anders Fannemel and Andreas Stjernen, won the final team competition of the 2016/17 season on Saturday with 1551.6 points. In a breathtaking competition the Norwegians came in ahead of Germany (1502.6 points) and Poland (1493.8 points). The 25 000 enthusiastic fans also saw a new amazing hill record of 251.5 m, set by Poland's Kamil Stoch.

The second-to-last competition of the season was an incredible spectacle. The sunny and warm day in Planica (SLO) already started with a spectacular trial round, in which Norway's Robert Johansson set a new hill record on the HS 225 Letalnica with 250 m. Only about a minute later Markus Eisenbichler improved the German distance record to 248 m. But the record chasing was far from over then.

First Austria's Stefan Kraft set another record with 251 m in the final round, a few minutes later Kamil Stoch landed at 251.5 m.

But the Norwegians were unbeatable today and showed a close team performance. "Today was a great day for us. It already had an amazing start with the 250 m in the trial round and my jumps in the competition were very good as well. The whole team had some solid jumps today and so we could take the win", said Johansson.

For the German team (Markus Eisenbichler, Richard Freitag, Karl Geiger and Andreas Wellinger) this second place was the first podium in a team Ski Flying event since 2012 and, of course, head coach Werner Schuster was satisfied: "Being on the podium is great, we were pretty far behind in the recent years." Besides Eisenbichler and Wellinger, Karl Geiger showed a convincing performance for Germany.

Geiger, who disappointed in Vikersund (NOR) last weekend, made amends for that with great jumps of 243.5 m and 231 m. "Honestly I didn't expect to jump that far today, I'm surprised myself. It was a great day for myself and the team", Geiger said after the competition.

The third place went to Poland (Piotr Zyla, Dawid Kubacki, Maciej Kot, Kamil Stoch) with yet another great performance, lead by Kamil Stoch, who set the highlight with his 251.5 m flight. "We did a very good job during the whole season and we were working hard. We are really happy and satisfied with how this season went for us", said Piotr Zyla. The team of Poland now leads the Nations Cup with 5727 points and Austria only has a theoretical chance to take this title in the final competition.

Austria came in fourth, followed by the local heroes of Slovenia. Japan finished sixth, ahead of the US Americans, who qualified for the final of the best eight teams and could score 100 points with their seventh place today. A great success for the US boys. The Czech Republic was eighth.

The teams of Italy, Switzerland, Finland and Russia could not qualify for the final round. 

The last competition of the season will take place on Sunday at 10:00 am CET (Trial round at 9:00 am CET).

Full Results Here

Stefan Kraft takes overall World Cup 2016/17

9k=

Stefan Kraft won the final competition of the FIS Ski Jumping World Cup 2016/17 and also claimed the overall World Cup title and the Ski Flying World Cup title. The second and third place in the great finale on the Letalnica Ski Flying hill in Planica (SLO) went to Andreas Wellinger of Germany and Japan's Noriaki Kasai.

In the final Ski Flying event of the winter, which had to be canceled after eight of the 30 jumpers in the final round due to the strong side wind, which was not forecasted to decrease within the next few hours, Stefan Kraft had the by far longest jump of the day with 250 m and scored 244.3 points. This was already the 8th win in the World Cup this season for the 23-year-old and with winning two individual Gold medals at the WSC in Lahti, the overall World Cup and the Ski Flying World Cup, the Austrian is the outstanding athlete this winter. "It was another unbelievable day. Being on top of the podium three times today was too much for me. For the first time ever I started crying at a ceremony. I want to thank my team and the Ski Jumping family. It's special to be a part of it. Thanks to all of you", said the new overall World Cup champion.

For Andreas Wellinger the season ended on a very familiar place: In second behind Stefan Kraft. The German had a jump of 238.5 m on Sunday, that earned him 236.2 points. With this performance he came in second for the eighth time in an individual World Cup competition in the year 2017. "I had a great jump in the first round and would have really wanted to jump again, but the conditions didn't allow it. I think it was the right decision to cancel. The season had a bumpy start for me, but what happened since the 4-Hills-Tournament was amazing and gives me a lot of motivation", said Andreas Wellinger.

To the joy of the 16 500 enthusiastic fans in Planica, veteran Noriaki Kasai jumped on 239 m and came in third with 223.9 points. The 44-year-old is on a roll at the end of the season and achieved his first podium results in 2016/17 with his second place in Vikersund last weekend and the third place today. "It is great that I could end the season in a good shape and I'm already looking forward to next season. Last year I had my 500th World Cup competition here in Planica and this year I finished on the podium. Planica is a special place for me. My family visited me here and that also helped me. I could really relax", said the Japanese crowd favorite.

Markus Eisenbichler again had lots of reason to celebrate after his jump of 243 m, but because the German had a longer inrun than the Top 3 he closely missed the podium by 0.7 points. Kamil Stoch of Poland, who was fighting for the overall title with Stefan Kraft until the very end, finished fifth, followed by local hero Peter Prevc, Norway's Robert Johansson and Jurij Tepes (SLO). Johann Andre Forfang, Anders Fannemel and Andreas Stjernen in 9th, 10th and 13th provided yet another strong team result for the Norwegians in a Ski Flying event. The athletes of Poland also achieved good results and showed a close team performance with Kamil Stoch (5th), Piotr Zyla (11th), Maciej Kot (14th) and Dawid Kubacki (15th).

Crystal globes to Stefan Kraft and Poland

After 26 individual competitions this winter, Stefan Kraft wins the overall World Cup title for the first time in his career with 1665 points. The second place goes to 4-Hills-Tournament winner Kamil Stoch with 1534 points, Daniel Andre Tande of Norway is third with 1201 points.

Although he lost the race for the overall title, Kamil Stoch was still satisfied: "Planica is always fantastic. It was my dream to fly over 250 m and it came true this weekend. I'm second in the World Cup, third in the Ski Flying World Cup and we are the best team. This weekend was amazing and so was the whole season."  Daniel Andre Tande also has a lot of reason to be happy about how this season went for him: "The start of the season was much better for me than the end, I was struggling a bit with my technique and I also felt tired. Being third in the overall World Cup is amazing, since it's only my second full World Cup season. I couldn't be happier."

For the first time in the history of Ski Jumping, Poland could win the Nations Cup. With 5833 points the team of head coach Stefan Horngacher came in ahead of Austria (5586 points) and Germany (5513 points).

The victory in the Ski Flying World Cup also goes to Stefan Kraft with 445 points, followed by Andreas Wellinger (333 points) and Kamil Stoch (279 points). 25 years after he could win the Ski Flying World Championships title in Harrachov, Noriaki Kasai was fourth (230 points).

Full Results Here

2016/17 World Cup Ski Flying Final Ranking Here

2016/17 Overall World Cup Final Standing Here

2016/17 Nations Cup Final Ranking Here

9k=

WE ARE THE CHAMPIOOONS :d

Really good season for our team and I regret not being able to watch most of the competitions :( funny what a change of coach might do

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

• 1 month later...