website statistics

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Kamil Stoch is 4-Hills-Tournament winner

Kamil Stoch

What a dramatic final of the 65th 4-Hills-Tournament in Bischofshofen. Double Olympic champion Kamil Stoch of Poland won the final event and also took the overall title of the 4-Hills-Tournament. Stoch jumped on 134.5 m and 138.5 m (289.2 points) and won the competition ahead of Austria's Michael Hayboeck (130.5 m and 142 m; 283.3 points) and Piotr Zyla (131 m and 137 m; 275.8 points). In the overall ranking Stoch won ahead of his teammate Piotr Zyla and Norway's Daniel Andre Tande.

Stoch superior, Tande loses shoe-clip in final jump

After the first round, the two top favorites Stoch and Tande were still close together, Austria's Stefan Kraft, who still had a theoretical chance to win the overall title, was out of the race with his 128 m jump. In the final Norwegian Daniel Andre Tande then had extremely bad luck: During his jump the clip of the binding came off. Tande lost control of his jump, could avoid a fall, but landed already on 117 m. The dream of winning the title was over for the 22-year-old, Tande was devastated.

Now Kamil Stoch only needed a solid jump on the Paul-Ausserleitner-hill. Stoch jumped on 138.5 m and won the competition in Bischofshofen and the overall title. Austria's Michael Hayboeck came in second, followed by Stoch's teammate Piotr Zyla.

"This is an outstanding result and great success for our entire team. Piotr Zyla is second and Maciej Kot fourth in the overall ranking. I think that Stefan Horngacher is the best coach in our sport, but everyone on the team played his part", Stoch said after his success. Kamil Stoch is now the second Pole after Adam Malysz to win the 4-Hills-Tournament. The 29-year-old is also one of the few ski jumpers, who could win Gold at World Championships and Olympic Games, the overall World Cup title and the 4-Hills-Tournament.

After the first moments of disappointment, Daniel Andre Tande was happy again about his great performances and the third place in the overall ranking at the award ceremony. "After my second jump I was extremely disappointed, but a few minutes later it was okay again." For Piotr Zyla the second place behind his teammate came as a big surprise. "I really didn't expect that I would be on the podium in the overall ranking. My shape is getting better and better."

Austrians celebrate podium finish

Michael Hayboeck provided a successful ending of the 4-Hills-Tournament for the Austrian hosts. He was sixth after the first round, but with an outstanding jump of 142 m in the final he moved up to second. "This was an incredible second jump and so the 4-Hills ended well for me. Stefan Kraft and I were really not feeling well at lunch today. Now it's about getting healthy again. I gave my all in this competition. My fanclub was here and this was definitely an extra motivation for me", said the Austrian, who could not compete in Innsbruck on Wednesday due to a stomach flu.

Hayboeck's teammate Stefan Kraft was third in the overall ranking behind Tande and Stoch before this final event, but after he was only 25 on his home hill today, the local hero finished sixth overall. Best Austrian in the 65th 4-Hills-Tournament was Manuel Fettner (12th in Bischofshofen) in fifth.

Tepes loses half-time lead, Prevc in "Yellow" again

After the first half of this exciting final it seemed it would be a successful day for Slovenia on the Paul-Ausserleitner-hill. With a great jump of 141 m, Jurij Tepes surprisingly was in the lead. Although he was not able to defend this result in the final, the 27-year-old seemed very satisfied with his seventh place. His teammate Domen Prevc came in fourth and missed the podium by only 0.6 points. With this performance the 17-year-old regained the "Yellow Bib" for the overall World Cup leader.

The German athletes were not among the very best in this final event of the 4-Hills-Tournament, but with Richard Freitag (6th), Stephan Leyhe (8th) and Karl Geiger (9th) three athletes of head coach Werner Schuster landed in the Top 10. Andreas Wellinger, the winner of the qualification and new hill record holder, failed to qualify for the second round in 31st with a jump of 123 m.

The ski jumpers will now have a couple of days to rest, before the World Cup continues next weekend in Poland, where two competitions will be held in front of definitely enthusiastic fans in Wisla on January 14th and 15th.

Full Results Here

4 Hills Tournament 2016/17 Overall Results Here

Takanashi a class of her own

Takanashi ahead of Avvakumova and Ito.

Sara Takanashi won the first of two single competitions of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Oberstdorf. The Japanese outclassed her competitors with jumps to 131,0 and 129,0 meters and won with 283,4 points ahead of Russia´s Irina Avvakumova and teammate Yuki Ito.

Takanashi satisfied

Sara Takanashi said: „I am very happy with my jumps today. The conditions have been quite difficult but I’ve tried to stay in the right position. One of my main goals for this season was the right approach at the take-off and it worked very well today.“ Avvakumova achieved her first World Cup podium this season with 117,5 meters in the first round and the furthest jump of the day with 132,0 meters but still was 22,9 points behind Takanashi. This was mainly because the Japanese had an up to 6 gates lower inrun then some of her opponents.

Avvakumova loves the big hills

Irina Avvakumova stated: „It is a great result for me. I’ve tried to show my best possible jumps. I really love the big hills, I have a much better feeling in the air. I wish we would have more competitions on big hills for the ladies.“ Third place went to Yuki Ito 121,5 and 131,5 meters. The Japanese got 259,7 points and was beaten by Avvakumova by only 0,8 points. The Japanese said: „My first jump was not so good, I was a bit late at the take-off. The second jump was much better and I am happy with my result.

Local heroes just behind the podium

On place four and five local heroes Katharina Althaus and Carina Vogt could celebrate their best season results even though they missed the podium clearly by points. Althaus finished with 242,3 points, Vogt was another 6,8 points behind. Best Austrian of the day in front of more than 2.000 spectators was Chiara Hoelzl on 6th place ahead of the two Slovenians Ema Klinec and Maja Vtic. After heavy snow fall brought a lot of hard work for the organisers in order to prepare the hill and the infrastructure, the weather still was not on its best ski jumping mood.

Tricky conditions

A strong tail wind, especially in the first round, did not allow very far jumps. Sarah Hendrickson from the United States proofed herself unimpressed with the conditions and made it back to the top ten, finishing 9th just ahead of Jaqueline Seifriedsberger from Austria. Daniela Iraschko-Stolz, twice second at the last World Cup stage in Nizhny Tagil couldn’t fin her best jumps today and finished 12th behind Japans Kaori Iwabuchi. The good result for the German team was finalized by Svenja Wuerth and Luisa Goerlich on places 13 and 15, Maren Lundby jumped in-between and finished 14th. Thanks to Taylor Henrich and Atsuko Tanaka on places 18 and 30 Canada scored twice while Lea Lemare on 19 was the only French girl in the points. Julia Kykkaenen finished 22nd for Finland, Manuela Malsiner saved the Italian honour on 29.

The second competition in Oberstdorf starts on Sunday at 4.20pm (CET).

Full Results Here

Takanashi unbeatable again

Takanashi, Klinec, Avvakumova in Oberstdorf

Sara Takanashi also won the second competition on the big hill in Oberstdorf. In partly heavy snowfall in Bavaria the Japanese remained unimpressed with the conditions and set her jumps to 124,0 and 129,0 meters. 263,0 points gave her a more then solid advance of 28,9 points ahead of Slovenia’s Ema Klinec. The third place went to Irina Avvakumova of Russia.

Difficult conditions

Takanashi said afterwards: „The conditions where tricky today. But first of all I am grateful to everyone who helped to make the competition possible. I am very happy with my weekend. Now I am looking forward to the competitions in Japan.“ After the first round it was still a tight race between Takanashi and Klinec with the Japanese in the lead by only three points. After her first jump to 127,5 meters Klinec could not pull of such a distance in the final round again. 115,5 meters and 234,1 points put her on second place and for the first time this season on the World Cup podium. Klinec said: „This result is extremely important for me. I’ve had a tough summer with some mental issues. But I feel stronger now and hope I can hang on with this level of my jumps in Japan.“

Tight race for third place

Irina Avvakumova, who already was second on Saturday, did not seem to be able to make it to the podium again. With 112,5 meters she was only on 11th place after the first round. A great final jump to 124,5 meters and 223,7 points had been just enough for another big success for the Russian team. Avvakumova said: „This weekend went very good for me. The conditions did not bother me. In Russia we are jumping no matter how the conditions are. And usually they are bad. I am curious if I can jump that god on the normal hill next week.“ Behind Avvakumova Japans Yuki Ito came back from 12th place after the first round and missed the podium by only 0,1 point. The other way around things went for Austria’s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz.

Iraschko-Stolz can´t hold her position

On third place after the first round her final jump to 117,5 meters was a little too short for the podium. 0,3 point where lagging to the podium. Norway’s Maren Lundby got back in track after a disappointing 14th place on Saturday and finished sixth this time ahead of the best Germans Svenja Wuerth and Carina Vogt. Chiara Hoelzl of Austria climbed up the ladder in the final round from 15th to 9th place, local hero Katharina Althaus finished on 10th place. Nita Englund, who won the qualification round, was still in touch with the podium on 4th place after the first round and finished on a still very decent 12th place behind Yuka Seto of Japan. Slovenia’s Maja Vtic, Japans Kaori Iwabuchi and Taylor Henrich of Canada completed the top 15. For the Italian team Elena Runggaldier and Manuela Malsiner on places 17 and 21 scored, Julia Kykkaenen finished 19th for Finland ahead of the best French lady Lea Lemare. The Czech one-lady team with Barbora Blazkova came in on 23rd place.

Full Results Here

First World Cup victory for Yuki Ito

Ito, Takanashi, Lundby in Sapporo

Local hero Yuki Ito won the first FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Sapporo (JPN). In front of more than 3.000 spectators the Japanese jumped 95,0 and 96,0 meters. With 254,3 points it was a clear win for Yuki Ito ahead of teammate Sara Takanashi and Norway´s Maren Lundby.

Good timing for Ito

Ito said afterwards: „I am very happy today because it was my first World Cup victory. It was very good timing to celebrate it in Japan. Before the final jump I was very nervous, my hands where shaking. But I am happy about my jumps today.“ Sara Takanashi will have to wait for her 50th victory in the FIS World Cup at least till Sunday. With 93,0 and 92,0 points she was lagging 12,2 points to the first place. Takanashi said: „I am still not completely happy with my jumps. I can do better.“

Lundby on a good way

Maren Lundby secured her second podium of the season after winning in Nizhny Tagil with jumps to 94,5 and 90,5 meters and 236,9 points. She said: „Everything is going in a very good direction. My jumps where good but not yet perfect. I know I am able to beat the best ones.“ In beautiful winter conditions and sunshine Ema Klinec finished on a very good fourth place with 223,4 points after coming back from 8th place after the first round.

Vogt back in shape

Germany´s Carina Vogt underlined her good shape and finished 5th 4,5 points behind Klinec. Just behind her Irina Avvakumova finished 6th with 218,7 points and ahead of Katharina Althaus. Svenja Wuerth on 8th place completed a very good result for the German team.

Austrians struggling

The Austrian team was not satisfied with the competition. Jaqueline Seifriedsberger was the best and finished 9th. Teammate Chiara Hoelzl was still on a good 5th place after the first round. With only 78,5 meters in the final she still went down in the ranking to 17th place. Italy’s Manuela Malsiner celebrated a career best on 10th place only 0,1 point ahead of Slovenia’s Maja Vtic. Sarah Hendrickson of the United States came in 13th behind qualification winner Yuka Seto. Austria´s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz is still looking for her best shape and finished only 16th, Taylor Henrich scored for Canada on a shared 21st place together with Evelyn Insam of Italy. Lea Lemare on 25th place and Julia Kykkaenen on 30th place secured points for France and Finland.

The second competition in Sapporo is starting on Sunday at 3.00 am (CET).

Full Results Here

Kamil Stoch unbeatable in front of the home crowd

Stefan Kraft, Kamil Stoch, Andreas Wellinger

About a week after his triumph at 4-Hills-Tournament, Kamil Stoch of Poland won the first of two Ski Jumping World Cups in Wisla (POL). Stoch took the win with jumps of 133 m and 124 m (268.0 points), clearly ahead of Austria's Stefan Kraft (133 m and 117 m; 251.7 points) and Andreas Wellinger of Germany (127.5 m and 120.5 m; 249.1 points). With this win Stoch also took the lead in the overall World Cup.

Stoch takes yellow bib

"I didn't know that I had such a big lead over Stefan Kraft. I have chronic knee problems, sometimes it's better and sometimes I feel the pain, like yesterday. Today it was okay and so I could show two good jumps. It's nice to wear the yellow bib. This is the result of my hard work and it's also a challenge to defend it and continue to jump well", the winner said after the competition.

Second-placed Austrian Stefan Kraft was within striking distance to Stoch after the first round, but with only 117 m in the final he had to be satisfied with finishing second. "I'm very satisfied with the result, it was a great competition. My first jump was very good, the second one was a bit late at the take-off. Today I had no chance to beat Kamil, he is in a great shape. After the 4-Hills-Tournament I wanted to be in the Top 10 again, now I'm on the podium. I feel strong again and want to fight for the podium in every competition", Kraft was self-confident after the competition. 

Andreas Wellinger achieved his by far best result this season with the third place. "It was a long way for me. I took it step by step over the past four or five weeks. Today I felt good and made my best jumps, especially in the final round. It's great to be on the podium. I really like Poland, especially this hill here in Wisla. The fans are great and always help us to jump far", said Wellinger.

Norway's Daniel Andre Tande came in fourth, only 0.5 points ahead of Slovenia's Domen Prevc and Austrian Manuel Fettner. Michael Hayboeck, third after the first round, finished eighth overall.

The ski of Slovene Cene Prevc provided a short moment of shock. Prevc lost a ski when he got ready for his jump and it went all the way down the hill. FIS Race Director Walter Hofer himself took the ski up to the start again and Cene Prevc was allowed to jump later then planned. The Slovene came in 26th.

Austria's Gregor Schlierenzauer closely missed the final in 31st. "My jump in this round was just not that good at the take-off. The inrun speed is really low, the field is extremely tight, you just can't make any mistakes", Schlierenzauer explained the 31st place in his comeback event. Besides Schlierenzauer, Norwegian Johann Andre Forfang also failed to make the cut for the final of the best 30.

Kamil Stoch (POL / 733 points) now leads the overall World Cup ahead of Domen Prevc (SLO / 691 points) and Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (687 points).

The team of Poland leads in the Nations Cup (2228 points), followed by Austria (2098 points) and Germany (1919 points).

Full Results Here

Lundby takes the victory in Sapporo

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, outdoor

Maren Lundby won the second competition of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Sapporo ahead of Yuki Ito and Katharina Althaus. The Norwegian was already in the lead after her jump to 97,0 meters in the first round.

Hill record for Lundby

In the final she put the cherry on the top and set a new hill record with 100,0 meters and 248,5 points. Lundby said afterwards: „I am really happy today. The whole weekend went good for me. Today I was able to show my best jumps and I am very confident for the upcoming events.“ In partly heavy snowfall, especially in the final round, Japan´s Yuki Ito took her second podium of the weekend after her victory on Saturday. With 97,0 and 96,5 meters and 236,3 points she made the huge crowd at the Miyanomori hill cheering.

Ito not entirely happy

Still, Ito was not completely satisfied: „I was a bit too late at the take off in both rounds. So my jumps could have been better. I want to try to show my best performance in Zao next weekend.“ On third place Germany´s Katharina Althaus finally took her first ever World Cup podium. 94,5 and 93,5 meters got her 231,4 points.

Althaus with first podium

Althaus stated: „It is great that it finally worked out with the podium. I have been pretty close a few times already. Also the rest of the team is getting better and better and I think we are on a very good way towards the World Championships.“ 14,0 points behind Althaus Sara Takanashi finished a quite disappointing weekend on 4th place. 93,0 and 89,0 meters have not been enough for the desired 50th World Cup victory of the Japanese World Cup leader.

Vogt again on five

Carina Vogt of Germany came in with 212,0 points and finished on 5th place already for the third time in the last four competitions. Russia´s Irina Avvakumova finished 6th with 207,0 points ahead of the best Austrian, Daniela Iraschko-Stolz on 7th place and the best Slovenian, Maja Vtic on 8th place. Svenja Wuerth on 9th place achieved the third top ten result of the day for the German team, Manuela Malsiner came in 10th like already on Saturday. Sarah Hendrickson missed out on the top ten and came in 12th behind Ema Klinec and ahead of Kaori Iwabuchi and Spela Rogelj, Chiara Hoelzl of Austria completed the best 15. Lea Lemare was the only French athlete who could qualify and finished 22nd ahead of qualification winner Gianina Ernst. Finland´s Julia Kykkaenen scored on 27th place.

Takanashi in the lead

In the overall World Cup Sara Takanashi is leading with 690 points ahead of Yuki Ito with 532 and Maren Lundby with 417 points. Next stage for the flying ladies is Zao (JPN) from Thursday on.

Full Results Here

Next home win for Kamil Stoch

Daniel Andre Tande, Kamil Stoch, Domen Prevc

After his win on Saturday, Poland's Kamil Stoch was also the best in Sunday's World Cup competition in Wisla (POL). With jumps of 135.5 m and 128 m (271.7 points) Stoch won close ahead of Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (128.5 m and 134.5 m; 270.5 points), who came in only 0.1 point ahead of Slovene Domen Prevc (130 m and 132 m; 270.4 points). This was the 19th win in the World Cup for Kamil Stoch.

The enthusiastic fans in the sold out stadium of the HS 134 Adam-Malysz-hill in Wisla saw an exciting competition under difficult wind conditions. Once again it was a difficult task for the jury due to the changing winds.

"The weather conditions were difficult today, the wind was changing and you needed a lot of luck. My second jump was bad, I had a mistake at the take-off. But still I could celebrate my second win and I'm very happy about that. I was working hard during my whole career and I had to go through bad times and a few changes. Now we are on the right track, not only me, the others as well", the winner said after the competition.

Second-placed Daniel Andre Tande summed up: "It was a difficult competition, for both the athletes and the jury because of the changing wind conditions. But with good jumps you could still jump far and Kamil showed his strength this weekend with the two victories. I'm really looking forward to Zakopane, I expect a lot of spectators there and it's a really cool hill.

Domen Prevc said: "I feel great. I had two very good jumps and I'm really satisfied with my improvement compared to the last competitions. I didn't really expect anything from this competition. In the second round I was lucky with the conditions and even if I didn't make my best jump I could still go far. I really like the hill in Zakopane. I already checked the forecast and I think we will have great weather there."

Like on Saturday, Stefan Kraft was again the best Austrian. After his third place yesterday he was fourth on Sunday with jumps of 126.5 m and 129.5 m. Maciej Kot (POL) came in fifth.

After a disappointing 32nd place on Saturday, Norway's Johann Andre Forfang finished on a strong sixth place. Germany's Richard Freitag tied for sixth with Forfang. Karl Geiger (10th) and Andreas Wellinger (12th) showed solid performances today.

Gregor Schlierenzauer also improved his performance compared to yesterday. After the first round Schlierenzauer was fourth and he came in eighth overall. An important step on his way back to the world class for the Tyrolean after he closely missed the final on Saturday. "It was nice today, a moving weekend, that was a lot of fun. I knew that I'm on the right track but today's result was a positive surprise", Schlierenzauer said after the competition.

Estonia's Kaarel Nurmsalu could qualify for today's competition. A 45th place on his first weekend after the comeback in the World Cup can be considered a success for the Estonian.

With this win Kamil Stoch could further extend his lead in the overall World Cup. Stoch leads with 833 points, ahead of Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (767 points) and Domen Prevc of Slovenia (751 points).

The Top 3 in the Nations Cup are Poland (2397 points), Austria (2229 points) and Germany (2029 points).

The Ski Jumping World Cup continues in Zakopane (POL) next weekend with two competitions on Saturday (team) and Sunday (individual).

Full Results Here

Japanese victory in Zao

Ito ahead of Malsiner and Avvakumova in Zao

Yuki Ito won the first individual competition of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Zao (JPN). The local hero got for her jumps to 89,5 and 94,0 meters 213,6 points. That gave her an advantage of 0,3 points on Manuela Malsiner of Italy, who surprisingly finished second. Third place went to Russia´s Irina Avvakumova.

Ito is cheering - Takanashi beaten
While Yuki Ito was screaming out her joy after the competition, teammate Sara Takanashi had to suffer another defeat. Finishing 5th she missed out on her 50th World Cup win already in the third attempt. At least she performed a great comeback from 10th place after round one. Yuki Ito on the other hand was overjoyed after her second World Cup victory: „I am very happy that I was able to win both in Sapporo and now in Zao. The conditions have not been easy and I was late at the take off in the first round. But the result is great and I want to try to show my best jumps on Sunday.“

Malsiner with historic result for Italy
In heavy snowfall and difficult wind conditions Manuela Malsiner put the cherry on top of her good shape of the past weeks and celebrated her first World Cup podium. 90,5 and 93,0 meters also brought the best ever World Cup result for the Italian Ladies team. Malsiner was almost lost of words after the ceremony: „It is unbelievable. I would have never expected that. It is a great moment“, she said with tears of joy in her eyes. On third place Irina Avvakumova confirmed her consistent performances since the beginning of the year and awarded herself with the third podium in 2017. After her jumps to 88,5 and 92,0 meters and 210,6 points she said: „I am feeling great, the weather is bad and it couldn´t have ended any better today.“

Lundby cant take advantage of pole position
Avvakumova was aware that she was a little lucky in the final round and benefited of a mistake of Maren Lundby. The Norwegian, who won five days ago in Sapporo, was in the lead after the first round and very much expected to bring home her third World Cup victory. A little mistake in her final jump brought her down to 6th place – and Avvakumova on the podium.

Vogt getting closer
Moving closer and closer to the top three Germany´s Carina Vogt finished fourth only 1,8 points behind Avvakumova after three fifth place in the last competitions. Sara Takanashi consoled herself with the longest jump of the day to 95,0 meters in the final round and scored 208,3 points on fifth place, 0,6 points ahead of Maren Lundby. Yuka Seto, with 201,0 points on seventh place, was the third Japanese finishing in the top ten.

Slovenia twice in top ten
Behind her Ema Klinec and Spela Rogelj came in 8th and 9th and saved a descend result for the Slovenian team. Daniela Iraschko-Stolz couldn´t quite confirm her training performances and finished 10th. Sarah Hendrickson struggled with the conditions, especially at the landing in fresh snow but still managed to secure a good 11th place for the United States ahead of teammate Nita Englund. Svenja Wuerth and Katharina Althaus came in 13th and 14th ahead of the two Slovenia’s Eva Logar and Nika Kriznar. Taylor Henrich was the only Canadian in the final round and finished 20th, Lea Lemare and Daniela Haralambie scored for France and Romania on 25 and 27.

The second competition in Zao will start on Sunday at 9.00 am (CET).

Full Results Here