website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

57 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Youre welcome.

That is really interesting. Our Rusyn community is celebrating today as their main day with the dinner etc.. It is even a Naional holiday in Slovakia today :d

well, today is a holiday in many parts of the world, since all the Catholic community (except those following the Julian calendar) celebrates the Epiphany...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(holiday)

59 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, today is a holiday in many parts of the world, since all the Catholic community (except those following the Julian calendar) celebrates the Epiphany...

Yes or Three Kings like it is officially named in SVK (Traja Králi) However it was not a national holiday in the past, but was reinstated to fit the christmas celebration of our orthodox community (Rusyns or more famous abroad under the name Ruthenians)which are the majority of population in the north-east part of our country. now this day is among people rather colloquially called as "russyns christmas"

19 hours ago, hckošice said:

Yes or Three Kings like it is officially named in SVK (Traja Králi) However it was not a national holiday in the past, but was reinstated to fit the christmas celebration of our orthodox community (Rusyns or more famous abroad under the name Ruthenians)which are the majority of population in the north-east part of our country. now this day is among people rather colloquially called as "russyns christmas"

thanks..

in Italy it's always been a National Holiday...actually, it's the last day of the Christmas break...

22 hours ago, phelps said:

Exactly.

I didnt know that exact name of yesterday holiday was Theophany or Epiphany. 

In my language (serbian) its called Badnji dan. Its very important day for orthodox comunity, eating meat and animal products is strictly prohibited. 

There are many more obligations on that day...

Merry Christmas to those Orthodox Christians who celebrate! As a Greek Orthodox we do not celebrate today but on 25 December, same with some others like Bulgarians and Romanians for example, but others such as Serbians and Russians celebrate Christmas today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today it's 77 years since the 1st Canadian Motorcycle Regiment liberated my little town of Nunspeet from the Germans :cheer: 

As always, there'll be a small ceremony at the local monument in town tonight :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Today it's 77 years since the 1st Canadian Motorcycle Regiment liberated my little town of Nunspeet from the Germans :cheer: 

As always, there'll be a small ceremony at the local monument in town tonight :) 

You know, after more than 5 years living here i got used to this thing of not having almost any national holidays. But the 5 of May not being one of them, i just find it really weird... i mean, it's not even like celebrating independence from centuries ago or some random religious stuff, it's the day you were liberated from nazis, the most evil thing ever! Hope they eventually change it to a yearly national holiday :)

(On the other hand, the May 4th two minutes of silence is actually impressive, really nice tradition)