website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

Happy birthday to the loveliest winter athlete in the world @brunamoura :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Since 1942 Italian anti-fascist reach to liberate some city in the South Italy. In 1943 Naples was the frist city in the Europe to self-liberate against in nazi-fascist regime and 168 Partigiani lost their life.

25th April 1945 National Liberation Committee of Upper Italy (CLNAI) officially proclaimed the insurgency in a radio announcement, propounding the seizure of power by the CLNAI and proclaiming the death sentence for all fascist leaders (including Benito Mussolini, who was shot three days later).

By 1 May, all of northern Italy was liberated, including Bologna (21 April), Genoa (23 April), Milan (25 April), Turin and Venice (28 April).

In the remember of all Partigiani that lost their life against the Fascist regime for our liberty, Buona festa della liberazione.

Now, and forever, Resistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Cinco De Mayo @mrv86! My family has decided to appropriate your holiday today in order to both support our local Mexican restaurants, and give us something to celebrate while under quarantine. My town has a very large Hispanic presence, so there’s bound to be quite a few Mexican families celebrating today. 

My español instructors have said that Cinco De Mayo is a bigger deal in California than Mexico. Do you know if that’s true? People around here tend to celebrate with parties, fireworks, etc. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Happy Cinco De Mayo @mrv86! My family has decided to appropriate your holiday today in order to both support our local Mexican restaurants, and give us something to celebrate while under quarantine. My town has a very large Hispanic presence, so there’s bound to be quite a few Mexican families celebrating today. 

My español instructors have said that Cinco De Mayo is a bigger deal in California than Mexico. Do you know if that’s true? People around here tend to celebrate with parties, fireworks, etc. 

Thank you for the wishes and hoped you enjoyed some delicious food.

You're right, Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) is only relevant to Mexican expatriates living in the US.

In Mexico it is not even an official holiday in the last 14 years. The only reason the day was remembered it's because it's the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla in 1862, the first time the Mexican army was victorious against a foreign power, in this case France. Of course, the victory was short lived, and the French Empire successfully took control of the country to install Maximilian of Habsburg in the Mexican throne; if not because Lincoln and the Union beat the Confederacy on time and threatened Napoleon III (who was already wary of Prussia), and with that helped the Republican rebels in Mexico, I could probably be speaking either French or German as my second language.

@hckosice the military uniforms look a little too Soviet for me, but I absolutely love the belt buckles with the coat of arms on them :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela