website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Shiffrin's style and stability on the ski's :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Back-to-back GS victories for Shiffrin in Semmering

Second Semmering GS podium

The second ladies' World Cup giant slalom in Semmering, Austria, had nearly the same podium as the first except for the third-place finisher, as Viktoria Rebensburg replaced Manuela Moelgg from the previous day. American Mikaela Shiffrin battled through challenging conditions to claim her second win in as many days, but Tessa Worley was a close second place just 0.15 seconds back. 

“It was a big fight,” Shiffrin said immediately after the race. “There’s so much snow coming down. I could feel my skis in the track speeding up and kind of coming out and slowing down. I was like, ‘Oh, this isn’t good, it’s gotta be slow,' so I kept fighting and fighting. It was cool."

Worley retains the red leader bib in GS by 35 points over Shiffrin with another second-place performance despite the tough visibility and falling snow during the second run.

"I wasn’t controlling anything. I was just trying to go down and stay on my feet, and I was pretty surprised that I lit the green light at the end. Happy with the second podium but ... it was really tough. I couldn’t push as hard as I would have done if the visibility would have been better. But you still have to push even though you don’t control anything.” 

Rebenburg, meanwhile, was pleased to land back on the podium after returning from injury at the start of this season, but she's aiming for even more.

"I was fighting hard after my injury to find my way back, and we kept working pretty hard. Now I think it’s kind of the result, but it’s not actually where I want to be because I want to be on top again. But for sure it’s a good start," she said, adding that this result in her primary discipline of GS could also benefit her speed racing moving forward. 

Shiffrin leaves Semmering with more confidence in her giant slalom skiing, but she's eyeing a repeat elsewhere in the future. 

"It’s two victories, but in the same place. It’d be nice to repeat it at a new venue, but it’s definitely nice to feel like I can ski free for four runs in a row," Shiffrin concluded.

Taina Barioz fell during the second run and was unable to finish. She will have her right knee evaluated in the coming days back home in France. Her coach noted that Barioz did not cite course conditions as the cause of her potential injury. 

The ladies will contest a night slalom in Semmering on Thursday at 15:00/18:00 CET.

Full Results Here

Mikaela Shiffrin 1st Run

Mikaela Shiffrin 2nd Run