website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Lara Gut takes opening super-G of the season

Lara Gut Lake Louise super-G

The 2016 ladies' super-G globe winner collected her first 100 points in the discipline for the new season on Sunday during a snowy day in Lake Louise, Canada. Fresh snowfall on the course and continued winter weather throughout the day forced the lowering of the start to Coaches Corner jump and delayed the race by over an hour. But the course crew worked hard to ensure a race-worthy track in time for the fastest women in the world to have one final contest for the year at Lake Louise.

Lara Gut was more ecstatic about her downhill podium finish the previous day than her ninth career super-G victory –and third at Lake Louise – because she felt like she finally figured out the mountain on Saturday.

"I wasn't skiing really well at the top so I understood that I should change something. And from the middle on, I just tried to keep a really straight line and be aggressive on the skis. I'm happy it paid off," she said of the super-G race. "It was always a fight [here] in downhill. I never found the way how to be fast. Since yesterday and the past days I had the feeling I was finally starting to build something. And that's cool because usually it's the beginning of the season it took always so much energy here. I was always fighting." 

Tina Weirather of Liecthenstein secured her first podium of the season in second, just 0.10 seconds behind Gut, after putting up a fight of her own.

"Yesterday I was really angry because I skied really well but I just didn't have the result. The first few had sun and then when I skied it was bad visibility, so I was really down. I tried to take that anger into skiing today, and it worked," said Weirather. "It's an aggressive sport. I mean, you have to control it – that's for sure. I was really calm today. I was not nervous. I was super focused. And it's exciting to be back on the podium." 

Speaking of the podium, the appearances just keep coming for Italian Sofia Goggia who has now finished inside the top three in three different disciplines over the past week. She was 0.59 seconds off Gut's pace in the Lake Louise super-G. 

"Oh, I'm pretty speechless actually. I'm pretty happy with my results even though I made a little mistake today. I made my third podium, " Goggia said. "So it's like a dream for me – in three different disciplines. It's, hey, what's this going on?" Goggia said.

Full Results Here

http://sf2.sport365.fr/wp-content/uploads/se/2016/12/gut_podium-750x410.jpg

Cancelled men's races from Lake Louise (CAN) to be rescheduled in Santa Caterina (ITA) and Kvitfjell (NOR)

This is to inform you that the cancelled men's  AUDI FIS Ski World Cup Downhill and Super-G  from Lake Louise (CAN) will be rescheduled in Santa Caterina (ITA) and Kvitfjell (NOR) with the following program :

Santa Caterina , Tuesday, 27.12.2016 Super-G – starting time TBC, replaced the 2nd Training

Kvitfjell,  Friday, 24.02.2017 Downhill – starting time TBC, replaced the 2nd Training

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

Kvitfjell,  Friday, 24.02.2016 Downhill – starting time TBC, replaced the 2nd Training

I doubt it :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Damn Pinturault, that was one heck of a run :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!