website statistics

United States National Thread

wpwells

YOG TEAM :USA Day 3 preview:

ALPINE SKIING: There is another medal on the line in Alpine Skiing. It will be the Women’s Giant Slalom. 78 athletes will be competing in this event. Each athlete gets two runs and the lowest time in the two runs combined wins. 

There will be two Americans in this event. Emma Resnick will go 2nd at approximately 4:02am ET. Her teammate, Nicola Rountree-Williams, will be two skiers after her (at about 4:05am ET). Should they finish run 1, both Resnick & Rountree-Williams will go for a second run. Their second runs will be between 6:45am ET and 8:15am ET. The start list will come out after run 1.

BIATHLON: The sport of Biathlon will offer medals today in the Singles Mixed Relay. One male and one female make up each team. There are 30 teams competing & they all start at the same time.

The U.S. pair will feature Van Ledger (Male) and Kaisa Bosek (female). They will be wearing bib number 6. Both athletes will go twice around the course. This race will start at 4:30am ET and should end at about the hour mark.

CURLING: It is day 3 of round robin play in the Mixed Teams competition. Yesterday, Team USA got their first win of the games over Latvia 7-0.

This time they will face undefeated Japan. This is a critical game for the U.S. if they want to get into the top two and advance to the Quarterfinals. This should be a competitive and great match. It will start at 6:00am ET. 

FIGURE SKATING: The first Figure Skating medals will be handed out today in the Pairs event & Men’s Singles in the free skate. This is probably the best chance for an American medal today.

The Pairs free skate will start the day. The American pair of Cate Fleming and Jedidiah Isbell finished in 4th place, 10 points removed from the top 3, after the short program. They have a big margin to cut, so they need a great performance if they want a chance at a medal. They will take the ice at 6:22am ET.

The Men’s Singles free skate will come after the Pairs event. The U.S. won’t have much of a shot at winning a medal here. The lone American Liam Kapeikis finished in 14th place out of 15 athletes after the short program. He will perform at about 8:22am ET.

SPEED SKATING: Speed Skating will start today with the Men’s 500m and Women’s 500m. Both are handing out medals. Unfortunately, the U.S. does not have any female speed skaters competing. The competition will be held on a frozen lake in St. Moritz. 

There will be two Americans in the Men’s 500m event. Jordan Stolz will be the first to go. He will race at about 7:10am ET. His teammate Jonathan Tobon will go in the pair right after Stolz. He will race at approximately 7:14am ET. Hopefully, they can get Team USA’s first medal of these YOG.

Here is a viewing guide for day 3 (all times ET).

4:02am- Women’s Giant Slalom (Emma Resnick)

4:05am- Women’s Giant Slalom (Nicola Rountree-Williams)

4:30am-5:30am- Biathlon Relay (Van Ledger & Kaisa Bosek)

6:00am-8:00am- Curling Mixed Teams (Team USA)

6:22am- Pairs Skating (Cate Fleming & Jedidiah Isbell)

6:45am-8:15am- Women’s Giant Slalom Run 2 (Resnick & Rountree-Williams)

7:10am- Men’s Speed Skating (Jordan Stolz)

7:14am- Men’s Speed Skating (Jonathan Tobon)

8:22am- Men’s Skating (Liam Kapeikis)

19 minutes ago, bmo said:

@Olympian1010 Did you see Macuga is not competing in the Giant Slalom???!?!??!

Yeah I saw footage of her crash, I’d imagine they flew her home for further evaluation :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah I saw footage of her crash, I’d imagine they flew her home for further evaluation :(

I feel for Macuga. But Alpine Skiing is a dangerous sport.

35 minutes ago, bmo said:

It’s getting harder to do my daily recaps due to time. I am just happy that we had two Americans in the top 10 of the Women’s Giant Slalom and Men’s 500m Speed Skating.

Yes much better day. I’d classify today as mixed.

Short Recap

Women’s Giant Slalom: Resnick 4th :( (0.33 off the podium), Rountree-Williams 8th (Good result)

Single Mixed Relay (Biathlon): Van Ledger/Kaisa Bosek 21st (6:27 behind winners) (largely disappointing)

Curling: Lost to Japan 2-8. US will need to win next 2 games, and hope the loser of Japan/Italy loses their next game after that as well

Figure Skating: Jedidah Isbell/Cate Fleming 6th Place in Pairs (fell 2 places) (didn’t have the endurance needed). Liam Kapeikis 10th place (really redeemed himself from the short program) (great performance)

Speed Skating: Men’s 500m - Jordan Stolz 5th (0.67 from a medal), Jonathan Tobon 8th. Great performance from our guys.

There were multiple high pointe and nearly missed medals chances for the US today, but we also continued to falter across the board.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, bmo said:

FINALLY, Team USA has come away with not one but two medals!!!

Kind of feel like we stole the figure skating one (though I’m going to rewatch that event in minute). Speed Skating is a great pick up though.

29 minutes ago, bmo said:

Interesting article about NBC coverage of Tokyo 2020. This new streaming service sounds pretty cool. I am hoping it will be free.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1089390/nbc-peacock-coverage-tokyo-2020-olympics

Free :lol::p:roflmao::sure: