website statistics

United States National Thread

wpwells

43 minutes ago, bmo said:

NBC will air the Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony LIVE at 7am ET. This is the first time ever that they are airing the opening ceremony live in a morning time slot. They will also have a replay in the normal prime time spot.

Official press release from NBC..

NBC OLYMPICS TO PROVIDE UNPRECEDENTED NETWORK COVERAGE OF TOKYO OLYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY

Definitely a welcome change of pace.  Love to see an entire day of Olympics coverage surrounding the Opening Ceremony rather than the usual "we're editing the whole thing for primetime."  I'm not normally a morning person, but I'll certainly make an exception that morning!!

• 1 month later...

Jordan Burroughs will not defend his gold medal in the men’s freestyle wrestling 74kg event. He loses two matches in a row to Kyle Dake in the US Olympic trials & Dake will head to Tokyo. It is the end of an era in USA wrestling. Congrats to Dake! Thanks for the memories Burroughs!

2 hours ago, bmo said:

https://www.nbcolympics.com/

NBC Olympics updated their website!

Whelp, that’s me doing a complete 180 on my sleep/awake cycle :p

There are some (what appear to be) great features though. There’s a rules explanation, competition format breakdown, vocabulary sheet, and other helpful/useful information available for every sport. Not to mention the streaming schedule. I’d imagine @Quaker2001 is already plugging away on his spreadsheet.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Whelp, that’s me doing a complete 180 on my sleep/awake cycle :p

There are some (what appear to be) great features though. There’s a rules explanation, competition format breakdown, vocabulary sheet, and other helpful/useful information available for every sport. Not to mention the streaming schedule. I’d imagine @Quaker2001 is already plugging away on his spreadsheet.

At this point, every event is streamed live, so there's not necessarily any new information here that I don't already have from the competition schedule on the Tokyo site and other places that have more detail.  The big thing for me will be the broadcast schedule, because that will really determine my work/sleep schedule.  That's what I need to add to the spreadsheet, but we likely won't get that until early July once all the qualifiers are complete and the rest of the team sports are slotted, most notably beach volleyball since we can be sure NBC will manipulate that one to get the American teams playing in the TV windows they want.  

8 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

At this point, every event is streamed live, so there's not necessarily any new information here that I don't already have from the competition schedule on the Tokyo site and other places that have more detail.  The big thing for me will be the broadcast schedule, because that will really determine my work/sleep schedule.  That's what I need to add to the spreadsheet, but we likely won't get that until early July once all the qualifiers are complete and the rest of the team sports are slotted, most notably beach volleyball since we can be sure NBC will manipulate that one to get the American teams playing in the TV windows they want.  

There was some interesting information in the streaming schedule. Badminton and Wrestling will get multi-court/mat coverage for instance, while it looks like Judo/Fencing won’t (at there’s no separate streams). Sailing will get daily coverage, but it’s still unclear what races will be shown. To me, it doesn’t seem like there’s been many changes to OBS coverage since Rio 2016. 

I’ll likely only watch through the OBS streams, so broadcast schedule isn’t too important to me, but it would be nice to see what I can watch with family/friends and whatnot.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

There was some interesting information in the streaming schedule. Badminton and Wrestling will get multi-court/mat coverage for instance, while it looks like Judo/Fencing won’t (at there’s no separate streams). Sailing will get daily coverage, but it’s still unclear what races will be shown. To me, it doesn’t seem like there’s been many changes to OBS coverage since Rio 2016. 

I’ll likely only watch through the OBS streams, so broadcast schedule isn’t too important to me, but it would be nice to see what I can watch with family/friends and whatnot.

My thing especially with an Olympics in Asia is that if something is on TV overnight, I can DVR it and watch it in the morning when I wake up.  Can't always do that with the online streams.  And better quality picture if it's on TV.  But yes, always enjoy the little bonuses that streaming provides (i.e. multiple streams for 1 sport).  Need to see how many screens I can have going at once.  Might be a good excuse to upgrade my internet speed

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I've only done a quick look at the grid.  How are you able to tell that Judo/Fencing will not have multi-mat coverage?  

I'm interested to see what they do with Athletics, both TV and streaming.  In Rio, they had the morning T&F session, live and complete on MSNBC, TripleCast style, while they would cut in and out for T&F on regular NBC.