website statistics

United States National Thread

wpwells

1 hour ago, bmo said:

Hannah Roberts has been named to Team USA for bmx park

It has also been announced that Kanak Jha and Lily Zhang will compete in table tennis for the U.S.

I believe all three of them are younger than me, which is ridiculous (and awesome). I’m really hoping Kanak Jha lives up to the hype one of these days. I’d be highly disappointed if Roberts didn’t medal.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I believe all three of them are younger than me, which is ridiculous (and awesome). I’m really hoping Kanak Jha lives up to the hype one of these days. I’d be highly disappointed if Roberts didn’t medal.

Roberts should win gold. She is a two time world champion. I always pull for our table tennis players. Hopefully, Jha can win our first medal in the sport. He is a LOOOOONGSHOT though.

27 minutes ago, bmo said:

Our women’s soccer team will make the Olympics with a win tonight against Mexico. Game is at 10 ET/7 PT. It’s on Fox Sports 1 for those interested in tuning in. 

Imagine if they lost. We’d never hear the end of it from @mrv86

In reality this should really be a foregone conclusion, but the drama of Olympic qualification makes it mildly interesting as always. I have tickets for 2 matches in Sapporo, so hopefully the US qualification and end up playing in one of those two games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

In reality this should really be a foregone conclusion, but the drama of Olympic qualification makes it mildly interesting as always. I have tickets for 2 matches in Sapporo, so hopefully the US qualification and end up playing in one of those two games.

It should end up win a U.S. win. The main question is by how many goals? Hopefully, they do play when you are there. It will make the matche a bit more exciting because you will be seeing the top team in the world.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I'm not such a fan of Mexico's women's team. Their highest peak was before 2015... since then every player is just as "diva" and has an attitude like on the men's side, so I'm actually cheering for USA.

On 20/01/2020 at 19:31, Quaker2001 said:

Since I'm likely going to become the resident expert here on all things NBC Olympics, here's what I've gathered on Peacock..

There are 3 tiers of service.  A lot of the content is available for free, but it will be ad-supported.  That includes things like libraries of old TV shows, plus access to next day airings of shows on NBC.  Then there's the paid tier.  $5 gets you additional content which will include among other things, access to NBC late night shows before they air on late night (i.e. Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers).  And the third tier is $10.  That's the same as the $5 tier, except it is ad free.

In terms of Olympic content, Peacock will have exclusive streaming of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.  I'm guessing that means it will NOT be available on the Sports app, although to my knowledge, that's where all the event streaming will come from.  So that, as usual, will be tied to whether or not you have a cable subscription.  But there will be additional programming exclusive to Peacock.  No idea at the moment if this will be on the free tier or only as part of the paid service..

Plus, it sounds like Peacock will have all the live streaming of the Paralympics.  They're promising more than 1,000 hours.  And I have a feeling they'll continue to grow as we get closer to Beijing.

Don't know if I'll become a regular subscriber, but I'll gladly pay $10 for a month to get all that!

I hope they will use Peacock for live local broadcast with NBC announcers of stuff they would leave for primetime that the IOC didnt move like Swimming (basically Gymnastics and Athletics). I know it will all be on the app but as far as i remember from Rio, the streaming events had the ioc broadcasters, which is fine but i do enjoy american announcers

57 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I hope they will use Peacock for live local broadcast with NBC announcers of stuff they would leave for primetime that the IOC didnt move like Swimming (basically Gymnastics and Athletics). I know it will all be on the app but as far as i remember from Rio, the streaming events had the ioc broadcasters, which is fine but i do enjoy american announcers

The original articles that I had read about Peacock made it sound like there would be 1 event that would be seen later on NBC that would get shown live on Peacock (somewhat going along with what seems to be one of their big draws of showing something before it airs on NBC.. they'll be doing that with Fallon and Seth Meyers).  But then it now makes this sound more like it will be similar to Gold Zone, the whip-around show they had during London and Sochi and Rio.  Where they will hit whatever is going on at the time, regardless of whether it might air later.  I doubt we will get the NBC announcers only because anything that's getting edited for broadcast later, they might not be able to call live.  I remember a couple of times with gymnastics at Rio, they caught the NBC commentators in the background sitting there and not matching up with the video, meaning they probably added their commentary later.  A lot of the taped events may have that happen in Tokyo.

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

The original articles that I had read about Peacock made it sound like there would be 1 event that would be seen later on NBC that would get shown live on Peacock (somewhat going along with what seems to be one of their big draws of showing something before it airs on NBC.. they'll be doing that with Fallon and Seth Meyers).  But then it now makes this sound more like it will be similar to Gold Zone, the whip-around show they had during London and Sochi and Rio.  Where they will hit whatever is going on at the time, regardless of whether it might air later.  I doubt we will get the NBC announcers only because anything that's getting edited for broadcast later, they might not be able to call live.  I remember a couple of times with gymnastics at Rio, they caught the NBC commentators in the background sitting there and not matching up with the video, meaning they probably added their commentary later.  A lot of the taped events may have that happen in Tokyo.

The whole "EDITING" thing is so stupid. The last worlds in athletics and gymnastics were live on olympic channel/nbc sports net (i dont remember which) with the regular nbc announcers. Didn't need editing