website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

Alright, that was a shit ton of pages to go through, but I'm glad I made it to the end

First of all, thank you to the community who was able to vote for Hong Kong in the group stages. I chose that song because I was also in the middle of picking some songs for another contest, and when I got an invite via Twitter to join, I just had to do it. I also had chosen songs from my other choices (Guam and Swaziland, or eSwatini for you 'name nazis' out there) from that same contest. For Guam, I had chosen Pia Mia (mainly because she's the biggest pop star to ever come out of the island) with a song called Bitter Love and for eSwatini (or Swaziland), I had chosen this artist named Symphony with a song called Chance. I don't know how either of them would have done in this contest, but I don't regret it one bit.

Okay, so I was in Group F with @kungshamra71 (love the song from Angola btw), @IoNuTzZ (thanks for claiming a spot already before this thing started lol), @heywoodu (I'm gonna sound stupid, but wtf though), and @justony (proof that you can tie 3-4 times in the group stage and still make it to bronze apparently, but whatevs).

My favorites in no particular order are South Africa, Guinea, Kosovo, Gibraltar (I was rooting for them in the final though), Angola, Jamaica, Sri Lanka, and Burundi

About the choices, there are some I wasn't surprised about and some that I never saw coming, but if you had told me that @OlympicIRL would pick Costa Rica and that would have gone on to win the contest, I would sort of believe you, because of course he will.

So, it's been fun following the contest, and when we do decide to do it again, just let me know and I'll join. Whether I pick Hong Kong again or give another nation a go is totally another story

A bit of statistics...

Average final ranking by Group:

Group D - 13.00

Groups B & C - 14.60

Group F - 15.00

Group A - 16.20

Group E - 19.60

Average final ranking by Continent:

Africa - 12.22

Europe - 13.57

Americas - 14.00

Oceania - 21.00

Asia - 23.50

#banbestmen

I want to congratulate both @OlympicIRL and @mrv86 for successfully hosting the event.

Personally, I was lucky with the draw, because I don't think :GUA would have reached the Round of 16 with the traditional format. Anyways, thanks to all the jurors who voted for the song at least once.

In general I really liked the songs, so I had some troubles judging 4 or 5 matches, and changed my mind a few times during the competition, but finally this is my top7: :PUR :SOM :GIB :IRQ :CRC :BAR :ANG

16 hours ago, Werloc said:

Wait a second, I remembered @Quasit is in this, he could be one of the finalists there.

I remember on several occasions that he really had some good ears for music

I'm surprised you say that. If you knew about my favourite songs/pieces ever, you'd attest me a weird taste in music. :d 

My taste totally depends on rhythm and how catchy the instruments/basslines and vocals are. That's why I find something to my likings from any genre but my main three would be European dance/trance/techno from the late 90s/early 2000s, power metal and a mix of ambience and (modern) classic. I figured I had more chances making the KO stages with the latter style but I could have had fun with other entries. ;) 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

Congrats to @OlympicIRL for the win as well as him and @mrv86 organising it, was pretty fun.

My original first choice would have been Belgium :BEL but I never bothered to ask for it because I thought surely somebody took it already. :rolleyes: 

South Korea :KOR and Mali :MLI were my initial choices I requested which were taken and ended up with Khadja Nin instead.

Thanks to everyone who liked the Burundian entry, I think I wouldn't have made it as far with my other choices. Although to be honest it was annoying losing to North Macedonia. :p 

Alternate choices:

Spoiler

Belgium :BEL 

South Korea :KOR 

Mali :MLI 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

14 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Seems like we have a similar music taste.

What about a TISC Mixed NOCs Team Event on the occasion of postponed Dakar 2022 YOG?

at first I was reading Mixed gender event and was really confused for a second :lol:

It's quite a unique and wonderful opportunity to attend this special event representing somewhere I like very much. Thank you so much for the organization work you've done perfectly @OlympicIRL and @mrv86

And I would like to share the reason I chose Taiwan :TPE  and my second and third choice, Hong Kong :HKG  and South Korea :KOR . I and my generation are heavily influenced by Taiwanese music when we were growing up and most classic songs we still sing are from Taiwan. So I chose Taiwan and the most popular Taiwanese language song to attend the event. And I lived in Hong Kong for a couple of years and like its music and culture, also I like K-pop music and idols, so they were my alternative choices. And I would like to share my Hong Kong and Korean songs for you guys. 

:HKG  G.E.M - I Love You (covered Beyond)

:KOR  BTS - Boy with Luv