website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

I think that the voting yesterday just emphasised what I’d already said before, that the whole purpose of us taking countries that are never participated before, is To let everyone here experience the country through its music , I really don’t think that dua Lipa and other like her is true representation of the country’s music its not all about winning it’s about enjoying some different and sometimes new music 

hace 5 horas, Fly_like_a_don dijo:

Even with the lyrics it's clear that majority of users may not know spanish. That's pretty strange how they all went in favor of it . The song really makes judging easy imo as any song against Puerto Rico would win unless you understand the lyrics and prefer such songs. 

If you would have asked me yesterday to guess which songs from Group B would move to the next round, Puerto Rico wouldn't have been in my top3. I am also quite surprised that the song did so well against one of the strongest entry of the whole tournament, at least in terms of popularity.

I like the anonymous part, but I do find it a bit of a shame to not really be able to say anything about which songs you do or don't like :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, Dnl said:

I think that the voting yesterday just emphasised what I’d already said before, that the whole purpose of us taking countries that are never participated before, is To let everyone here experience the country through its music , I really don’t think that dua Lipa and other like her is true representation of the country’s music its not all about winning it’s about enjoying some different and sometimes new music 

Well, as much as it's a fair point that Dua is not a true representation of the country's music, it's also something you could say about all mainstream and industrial music.

Then you have to think what's the extent of it being an accurate representation. Would it work if Dua sang "New Rules" in Albanian? If yes, why? If no, would she need to scrap all of the arrangement in favour of local instrumentation?

Pop music rarely has cultural ties when thrown in international waters, because it has to appeal to the United States and UK. If it doesn't your music career is pretty much country-bound rather than international.

Yes, larger and more influential countries have their own niche of pop, examples: JPop, KPop, Reggaetone (now solidified as pop music from Spanish speaking countries), but for smaller and less influential countries, pop tend to follow the trends of more influential countries, for example the Lithuanian worship of Scandinavian pop and hiring Swedish songwriters to save us in Eurovision. 

Another point that you could make, specifically for Dua Lipa is that she didn't grow up in the country she's based from, which is why you can't really expect her to have deep-rooted cultural ties when making music or even the simple fact on how little control she probably has on what music she is making.

But yeah, what I'm saying is that it's more of a smaller country lack of identity in pop music. I could show you 10 Lithuanian pop songs and you wouldn't find a single Lithuanian thing in them, but that would still be considered as a representation of that nation's music, just not the cultural representation, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Well, as much as it's a fair point that Dua is not a true representation of the country's music, it's also something you could say about all mainstream and industrial music.

Then you have to think what's the extent of it being an accurate representation. Would it work if Dua sang "New Rules" in Albanian? If yes, why? If no, would she need to scrap all of the arrangement in favour of local instrumentation?

Pop music rarely has cultural ties when thrown in international waters, because it has to appeal to the United States and UK. If it doesn't your music career is pretty much country-bound rather than international.

Yes, larger and more influential countries have their own niche of pop, examples: JPop, KPop, Reggaetone (now solidified as pop music from Spanish speaking countries), but for smaller and less influential countries, pop tend to follow the trends of more influential countries, for example the Lithuanian worship of Scandinavian pop and hiring Swedish songwriters to save us in Eurovision. 

Another point that you could make, specifically for Dua Lipa is that she didn't grow up in the country she's based from, which is why you can't really expect her to have deep-rooted cultural ties when making music or even the simple fact on how little control she probably has on what music she is making.

But yeah, what I'm saying is that it's more of a smaller country lack of identity in pop music. I could show you 10 Lithuanian pop songs and you wouldn't find a single Lithuanian thing in them, but that would still be considered as a representation of that nation's music, just not the cultural representation, I guess.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I also don't think that a nation should have to live up to a stereotype of what is considered an accurate cultural representation of that country. If that was the case I would have to show what is considered traditional Irish music as my entry every year. And for me personally, although I do really like that music as well, I want to be able to show any type of song I enjoy. Each nation doesn't have to live up to what is considered an identity. If we like a song we should be proud to show it, whether it's traditional style, English language, native language, old, new, famous or obscure. And if people don't like the song we send then fine, but people shouldn't feel guilty about any song they send. It's their personal choice and we all like different things.

For me it's a very good thing that we have all different styles and approaches.

40 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I like the anonymous part, but I do find it a bit of a shame to not really be able to say anything about which songs you do or don't like :p 

That's why I really do think we should introduce judges' comments for the further rounds. :d

Comments (if provided) get shared in spoiler, while everything else remains anonymous.

#banbestmen

19 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

If that was the case I would have to show what is considered traditional Irish music as my entry every year. And for me personally, although I do really like that music as well, I want to be able to show any type of song I enjoy.

I'm happy you can be proud of your traditional music, I'd rather die than expose the forum to traditional Lithuanian music. Let's just say it's probably not great if your traditional 'pop' music has a tag of 'wedding music' and is not appropriate to listen to for anybody under the age of 45 :p

Another irk that I have with traditional Lithuanian music is that my favourite genre of music is folk and most Lithuanians associate it with Lithuanian folk music (that is usually performed with a lot of vocalists and a lot of instruments) opposed to actual folk music with 1-2 vocalists, 1-4 instruments and lyrics that make you think about life in a multitude of ways.