website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

7 hours ago, Cobi said:

I guess one of the reasons why "La Vuelta al Mundo" has so many views is because of the lyrics. From the perspective of a non-Spanish speaker, the song might sound like simply a guy talking, without any artistic talent. However, what makes this song so interesting is the meaning and how the writer structured the song. 

The song basically tells how a man realizes that his life sucks. He has spent his whole life studying to get a good job, and once he has the job and a good salary, he is not happy because he is not doing what he really likes. So after a while, he decides to quit after proposing to his girlfriend. The story is quite simple, but from a literary point of view, the lyrics are very interesting to read as a poem, since they play with the double sense of some words and expressions, and the writer uses this to criticize some aspects of the society he doesn't like.

In fact, they became popular in Spain and Latin America during the early 2010s because of the way they wrote... The music is not the only thing to determine if a song is a good one or not.

Just to be clear, writing this comment does not mean that I entered the song.

Even with the lyrics it's clear that majority of users may not know spanish. That's pretty strange how they all went in favor of it . The song really makes judging easy imo as any song against Puerto Rico would win unless you understand the lyrics and prefer such songs. 

8 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Even with the lyrics it's clear that majority of users may not know spanish. That's pretty strange how they all went in favor of it . The song really makes judging easy imo as any song against Puerto Rico would win unless you understand the lyrics and prefer such songs. 

Two words: Google Translate

Actually I’ve found that for quite a few TISC songs, Google will just translate the lyrics to English if you search the lyrics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Werloc said:

I think the real problem is that people can't take off the nameplates or can't tone down their ideals when judging.

It's like somewhat hating on Eurovision for political voting, yet TISC really has its own consistent problems.

Old famous international artists - good

Relevant international artists famous here and now - bad

Bryan Adams, The Cranberries, Bob Marley, Eddy Grant, John Lennon, Roxette - good

Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Dua Lipa, Childish Gambino - bad (named the most recent cases that I could remember, won't go through the entire history of TISC now :d

Then of course to throw off my theory, stuff like The Script, Kodaline, Birdy + Rhodes or Rag'N'Bone Man somehow win the entire competition. But wake me up when it's someone outside Ireland or UK.

I had never in my life heard of Childish Gambino (thought it was some obscure rapper) and I only know Dua Lipa is famous because on Totallympics people say she's famous (and after that because I saw she's got literally billions of views, but I don't remember hearing her name on the main radio stations, at least not while realizing it's her). Which is part of why I either decided to go with her or why someone else did.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, dcro said:

At least a couple of them complained about mouth being opened throughout the performance. :mumble:

Not taking care of the athletes does sound pretty South Korean given recent scandals :mumble:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Day -1 (Thu 23 July)

Fixtures / Results

Group D

Thursday, July 23rd 2020, 19:00 (GMT +1)

:MON Monaco 1 vs 7  :CRC Costa Rica

Thursday, July 23rd 2020, 19:30 (GMT +1)

:RSA South Africa 5 vs 3  :IRQ Iraq

Group E

Thursday, July 23rd 2020, 20:00 (GMT +1)

:CPV Cape Verde 5 vs 3  :ISL Iceland

Thursday, July 23rd 2020, 20:30 (GMT +1)

:MLI Mali 3 vs 5  :CUB Cuba

Group F

Thursday, July 23rd 2020, 21:00 (GMT +1)

:BAR Barbados 6 vs 2  :BIZ Belize

Thursday, July 23rd 2020, 21:30 (GMT +1)

:MKD North Macedonia 4 vs 4  :ANG Angola