website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

48 minutes ago, dcro said:

I propose using Beach Volleyball Olympic tournament formula to decide who progresses of those ranked 3rd.

Six 3rd-ranked nations are ranked by their points and vote difference. Top 2 then advance directly, while the remaining 4 progress to repechage playoffs.

This will make individual votes during group stage even more important, which I believe is something everyone concerned would appreciate.

I know having best runner-up system is probably the neatest way and I am considering it.

But then again, I always really dislike that system of advancing teams who are best runner-up of certain groups. Because it's definitely much easier to do well in easy groups and for a team coming 3rd in a tough group, it's much harder to score points. So a best 3rd placed team is very rarely the best 3rd placed team in reality.

It's still the most likely option I am considering, I just want to rant about my pet peeve ;)

Surprised with some names that decided to skip this event.

We're used to seeing hckosice, Bohemia, Benolimpique every time. Surprised that a lot of people from multi-juries decided to give this a pass (Italy, Brazil, France, Tunisia)

2 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

I know having best runner-up system is probably the neatest way and I am considering it.

But then again, I always really dislike that system of advancing teams who are best runner-up of certain groups. Because it's definitely much easier to do well in easy groups and for a team coming 3rd in a tough group, it's much harder to score points. So a best 3rd placed team is very rarely the best 3rd placed team in reality.

It's still the most likely option I am considering, I just want to rant about my pet peeve ;)

Well, at least nobody would get eliminated solely based on the next best rule. Every 3rd placed nation would be guaranteed another head-to-head match at the very least.

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Well, at least nobody would get eliminated solely based on the next best rule. Every 3rd placed nation would be guaranteed another head-to-head match at the very least.

Rihanna vs Dua Lipa repechage match. LET'S GO :cheer:

2010 vs 2020

Man, allocating the judges to matches is an absolute nightmare :hairpull:

My criteria for allocating judges are as follows:

• Judges cannot judge in any match in the same group as their own song
  • 8 judges per match means each judge will be allocated to 16/17 matches.
  • Cannot judge more than 4 matches within a specific group.
  • Must judge at least one match of every song, except those within their group.
  • Cannot judge the same song more than twice.

I am so far trying to avoid things like someone judging 2 matches within the same group in a single matchday. I am also spreading the judges matches out as much as possible between the days.

The problem is though, while adhering to those rules, it means I am often finding the same judges alongside each other in various matches :dunno:

Before I continue on, does anyone have any ideas on how I can allocate the judges in a better manner?

You have put way too much criteria in there. I'd just keep the first 2.

Sure, probably not everyone's schedule will be perfectly distributed, but isn't embracing imperfection a part of Japanese culture...?

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

You have put way too much criteria in there. I'd just keep the first 2.

Sure, probably not everyone's schedule will be perfectly distributed, but isn't embracing imperfection a part of Japanese culture...?

Well I definitely don't want anyone judging the same song more than twice in the group stages. We want more diversity in the judging. I think I will try with discarding the criteria about spreading the judging across the days. As long as they judge each song once and no more than twice then I guess it makes no difference.

I will see how that goes then. If not then I am just going to throw my laptop in the air, see where all the fragments land and read the signs from there :lol:

6 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Okay, I think I am getting somewhere now. Halfway there, hopefully by tomorrow I will have the judging allocation completed and sent out to everyone by mid-week :)

For repecharge there should be conventional mode Should be followed. Choosing the 6 giving points 6 to 1.. Then highest 4 win.