website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

32 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@OlympicIRL What if we did a consolation bracket? (I’m thing maybe called “Best of the Worst”)

So if we had 24 entries:

We do 4 groups of 6, with the top 4 songs in each advancing to the Round of 16. The 5th and 6th place songs in each group then “advance” to a 8 song single elimination bracket for the title of “Best of the Worst.”

Separate thought: How are we going to prevent people from gaming the system? If people vote for each round after the conclusion of the first round, couldn’t people purposely attempt to drag down the score of a song? For example, say in the Round 16 we have the #1 seed versing the #16 seed. Couldn’t everyone just choose to vote for the #16 seed to manufacture an upset of the #1 seed on purpose? I’m not suggesting people would do this, but it does seem like a potential problem to me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts @OlympicIRL

I'm not totally against it, but maybe it would be a bit harsh to try to find out the worst of the worst (which is what we will do when trying to find the best of the worst) :d. I have considered it though so I'll wait to see if anyone has strong opinions either way on the matter.

Edit: actually on further reflection, yeah it sounds like a good idea. If it's 24 nations, the 8 who are eliminated could enter a consolation bracket to find the winner via knock-out. No need to find the worst that way :yes

About your second thought, well I already brought up that issue earlier on this thread as that issue occured to me. The only fair way to prevent it would be to have everyone vote in advance of the contest but that was ruled out. And I am fine with that. I strongly believe that everyone or indeed the vast majority of people will vote for the songs they like the most, regardless of seeding or how it impacts the draw.

I'm not sure anyway that there will be seeds after the group stage. It will follow a simple format like Group A winner vs 2nd place in Group B. Or maybe Group A winner vs 3rd place in Group B. It will depend on the format. But it won't be possible to seed them especially if we are using simple format like 3 points for win, 1 point for draw and if each match has different number of judges who completed their votes.

I have no idea how the competition will go in honesty, it's very difficult to plan out in advance especially when we have to chase up votes from users as we go. So from an organisation perspective, it's probably going to be far from a neat process. But I'm sure it will be fun nonetheless.

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@OlympicIRL What if we did a consolation bracket? (I’m thing maybe called “Best of the Worst”)

So if we had 24 entries:

We do 4 groups of 6, with the top 4 songs in each advancing to the Round of 16. The 5th and 6th place songs in each group then “advance” to a 8 song single elimination bracket for the title of “Best of the Worst.”

Separate thought: How are we going to prevent people from gaming the system? If people vote for each round after the conclusion of the first round, couldn’t people purposely attempt to drag down the score of a song? For example, say in the Round 16 we have the #1 seed versing the #16 seed. Couldn’t everyone just choose to vote for the #16 seed to manufacture an upset of the #1 seed on purpose? I’m not suggesting people would do this, but it does seem like a potential problem to me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts @OlympicIRL

Idea is good but let's not call best of the worst 

Call it the Challeger Trophy, Plate League or Plate finals 

8 hours ago, dcro said:

Have we found 25th user already? :p

24 is actually a very good number as you can play with the groupstages of 4x6 or 6x4. If we want a 25th user, we would need a 28th or a 30th then as well :p (though 25 could work for 5x5)

Incidentally, with 6 groups of 4, there will be 36 group-stage matches.

Should each match have 10 jurors, it means that everyone will get to vote in 15 different matches.

Should each match have 8 jurors, then everyone will get to vote in 12 different matches.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Incidentally, with 6 groups of 4, there will be 36 group-stage matches.

Should each match have 10 jurors, it means that everyone will get to vote in 15 different matches.

Should each match have 8 jurors, then everyone will get to vote in 12 different matches.

And today we received the 25th registered user. However they have yet to select their nation so it’s still provisional.

We may still get another couple in this final week. I will also be sending out reminders from tomorrow for any registered user that has not yet chosen their entry.

It's still all very academic, however with 25 nations (5 groups of 5), the number of group matches would increase significantly (50).

Then we would have...

10 jurors per match = 20 matches assigned for each juror (seems quite a lot)

8 jurors per match = 16 matches per juror

6 jurors per match = 12 matches per juror

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's still all very academic, however with 25 nations (5 groups of 5), the number of group matches would increase significantly (50).

Then we would have...

10 jurors per match = 20 matches assigned for each juror (seems quite a lot)

8 jurors per match = 16 matches per juror

6 jurors per match = 12 matches per juror

Yes 20 matches per judge would be quite a lot.

I think for group stages we might have to go for fewer judges, 8 or 6 judges.

Just a reminder that the deadline to register and choose your entry is this Friday, 10th July, so not much time left now. Just a quick update for you all:

• 26 users who have registered or expressed interest by Private Message.
  • 24 users have chosen the nation they will represent
  • 20 users have chosen the artist and song

This Saturday, 11th July we will reveal the users who are participating and the nations who will be participating in advance of the draw. However, you will not discover which user has chosen which nation at this time.