website statistics

Ireland National Thread

OlympicIRL

1 minute ago, OlympicIRL said:

Are you sure Woolley was 6th in the rankings? Here it says 7th at time of Olympic quotas were awarded? http://m.worldtaekwondo.org/ranking/ranking.html

I guess you mean because 2 Koreans were in that list and only one per NOC can go to the Olympics?

4 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Are you sure Woolley was 6th in the rankings? Here it says 7th at time of Olympic quotas were awarded? http://m.worldtaekwondo.org/ranking/ranking.html

I miscounted! He was 7th and 6 made it from the rankings. I thought he was 6th and 5 made it! 

Apologies!

14 minutes ago, Oldira said:

I’d definitely include 8 swimmers..4 plus the 4 x 200m relay team.  Also I think that divers will be ok. There is no way FINA can exclude them after saying they had qualified on their website. I’d be far less confident about the medley relay. An awful lot of our athletes are close to the cut off on both sides. We could have a load or just a handful. The next couple of weeks will be seriously interesting. I think Nadia Power is now ranked 29 so is probably safe

You can only send 2 relay-only swimmers with 1 relay team so that's why we can only add 2 extra quotas for the relay.

1 minute ago, dodge said:

I miscounted! He was 7th and 6 made it from the rankings. I thought he was 6th and 5 made it! 

Apologies!

No worries, it's a confusing world these quotas but lots of fun to track. I will keep it 7th then, even though he was 6th among NOCs. But the relevant thing is that he made it!

14 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Apparently not according to the responses I received in the athletics thread.

I checked the 4 x 100 results from 2016. Jamaicas women got 6 medals to include the 2 runners who ran in the heats but not the final. Unless the rule was changed for 2020 and I find no record of that

2 minutes ago, Oldira said:

I checked the 4 x 100 results from 2016. Jamaicas women got 6 medals to include the 2 runners who ran in the heats but not the final. Unless the rule was changed for 2020 and I find no record of that

I thought so as well but here is what the official document says:

Mixed 4 x 400m:

NOCs may enter one (1) team for this relay event. A total of four (4) athletes, two (2) men and two (2) women, may be entered for the relay team. In addition, NOCs can nominate a maximum of two (2) P alternate athletes for each team, one (1) man and one (1) woman.

According to others in the athletics thread, those P alternate athletes are not accredited and not officially part of the team unless called up. I wasn't sure so that is why I asked on that thread.

14 minutes ago, Oldira said:

The IOC told sporting federations to reallocate North Koreas quotas so it looks now that Megan Ryan can be officially included in Team Ireland.

Yes, looks like she is in :)

Going to wait for some official release from either Gymnastics Ireland or the Olympic Federation of Ireland or FIG before adding her.