website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

George_D

14 minutos atrás, heywoodu disse:

How much did Dipa lose with her ass touching the floor btw? I read 1 full point somewhere...surely it wasn't that much? That would have given her the gold if she had made that then :yikes:

She loses 1 point on her vault, but since the scores are summed up and then averaged, she actually loses 0.5 out of the final score. She would be in a comfortable place for silver.

Alternatively, the judges may see this as a touch rather than a fall. Either way, with a touch she loses 0.5 off of her score for one vault, 0.250 from the final score. She would still earn silver comfortably. 

I am really happy for her reaching 4th place at the Olympics, though. She knew it was going to be really hard to get a medal. I hope she gets a medal at the Worlds next year. Hong will probably retire, Biles will get some time off, Steingruber might retire as well, Paseka most certainly will retire too, so Dipa would be a shoe in for a medal.

I would like to apologize for the disgusting behavior or the crowd. True fans would never act like that, and I'm really ashamed of such people. Mikulak and Shirai both deserve formal apologies. As a long time fan of Gymnastics, this is not how I pictured the event in my head. But those people do not represent all Brazilians, and on behalf of people who really love and admire this sport, and those who deeply respect the gymnasts, I would like to apologize. I'm really, really ashamed of their behavior.

Edited by thiago_simoes

Well, that will happen with people who are not used to be spectators. A sad behaviour indeed...

On the other side, glad to see Hipolyto winning silver and Steingruber bronze, but sad because Dipa could not be on that podium.

Kocian, Ledecky, Oleksiak, Mikulak ...and I surely miss some others..during all those last days I see so many slovaks names winning medals for USA and Canada :d cool..I assume not all has (still) some ties with CZE, SVK, but really interesting to see it.

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Kocian, Ledecky, Oleksiak, Mikulak ...and I surely miss some others..during all those last days I see so many slovaks names winning medals for USA and Canada :d cool..I assume not all has (still) some ties with CZE, SVK, but really interesting to see it.

Oleksiak has Czech/Ukranian background. Did you know her brother plays in the NHL?

16 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Oleksiak has Czech/Ukranian background. Did you know her brother plays in the NHL?

czech slovak, thats the same :p

ofc Jamie Oleksiak Dallas Stars :d but not such extraordinary player as his sister swimmer  tough :p

4 horas atrás, LDOG disse:

wow India is by far the unluckiest nation at this olympics. I really hope they do well in wrestling.

I totally agree. 

Dipa performed the best vaults of her life, but once again Paseka was awarded a medal she didn't deserve. She should not have earned a medal at the 2012 Olympics, and she should not be awarded a medal now at the 2016 Olympics. Sometimes I think the judges score the flags, not the actual Gymnastics. Paseka is really bad when it comes to execution, but the judges seem not to care just because she is Russian. Pathetic.

But then again, Dipa also had pretty bad execution on her second vault. She performed it better than she has ever been able to, but it was still not good when you consider the deductions according to the Code of Points. Well, that's life. She tried hard and I admire her for doing what she does. 

Edited by thiago_simoes

I do not follow gymnastics very much at all, so excuse my ignorance.  And I think Chusovitina is awesome.  But I don't understand how you can land on your ass and still finish ahead of others who do not.  It's not just this one time, either.  It just seems in gymnastics only the degree of difficulty matters, with little attention to actual execution.  Again, I'm not an expert, but to me if you fall you fail.  This is nothing about Chusovitina (because the Indian girl did it, too), it's just a general statement about this sport, and why I can't get into it.  It just seems like, "Oh, s/he's doing a higher degree of difficulty than that other girl.  Therefore, she will finish ahead of her."  Seems silly to me.  Obviously it doesn't always happen that way, but enough to turn me off.  

Edited by orangeman

5 hours ago, LDOG said:

wow India is by far the unluckiest nation at this olympics. I really hope they do well in wrestling.

They've been unlucky in general, but not in the vault finals. Karmakar's Produnova was clearly a fall and it was quite generously marked all things considered.