website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

George_D

8 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Celine van Gerner has an achilles heel injury and is having quite a lot of pain of it. 

Oh, no. She deserves to have a great competition after so much bad luck over the years. Fingers crossed and I hope she can still perform clean routines.

Also, Hernandez will apparently not perform in the all-around, which is clearly a political decision so Douglas can get attention in the final (after all, she's the defending champion, though she will not come close to the gold medal this time) or even Raisman gets a redemption story (she placed fourth in 2012). Either way, Hernandez is the superior gymnast at this point, only behind Biles, and it's really disgusting that the US will aim for drama with Douglas or Raisman, instead of worthy performances by Hernandez.

16 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Oh, no. She deserves to have a great competition after so much bad luck over the years. Fingers crossed and I hope she can still perform clean routines.

Also, Hernandez will apparently not perform in the all-around, which is clearly a political decision so Douglas can get attention in the final (after all, she's the defending champion, though she will not come close to the gold medal this time) or even Raisman gets a redemption story (she placed fourth in 2012). Either way, Hernandez is the superior gymnast at this point, only behind Biles, and it's really disgusting that the US will aim for drama with Douglas or Raisman, instead of worthy performances by Hernandez.

Stinks of NBC BS!

vor 1 Stunde schrieb thiago_simoes:

1) We should wait for the final decision, before we criticize.

2) Like i said before: Are you sure that Hernandez is superior to Biles at this point? Did you even watch the nationals? She was clearly overscored there, especially on uneven bars.

3) Its funny that you call it a political decision, because many american fans also called it a political decsion that Felix will run womens 4x100m relay instead of Prandini. There is no doubt that Felix and Douglas are much more popular than Prandini and Hernandez, but i doubt that the coaches really would allow some officials to tell them which one of those athletes to nominate. In my opinion Felix and Douglas (apparently) got nominated, because they have much more experience at this level and are able to perform when it matters. Hernandez and Prandini didnt show anything at the global stage so far.

For Germany only Scheder and Seitz will do a complete all-around, which is quite surprising, because Schäfer was the best german athlete in the all-around recently, apparently her uneven bars routine was weaker than that of all the other german athletes.

Alt will compete on every apparatus except for Floor, Bui will only do floor and uneven bars. I hope that we will be the best nation on uneven bars, surprisingly our second best apparatus should be balance beam. On vault we should be among the 8 best teams, even without Berger and Chusovitina. On floor we are extremely weak (like always) and probably wont be among the 10 best teams.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

If I understood correctly, balance beam shouldn't be a major problem, but our commentator (a very knowledgeable man) literally said "I think vault and floor will be impossible". 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 8/4/2016 at 12:08, thiago_simoes said:

Women's competition:
AA: Biles, Hernandez, Andrade (one can dream, but I seriously think she could be a contender)

Interesting, bookmakers aren't even offering odds for Andrade :p 

d985e42cbd.png

Though I hope you're right, beacuse seeing someone from out of the big nations medal in the all-around would be great fun :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 horas atrás, nitinsanker disse:

@thiago_simoes

any predictions on the vaults 

1) Hong (if she lands her new vault without a fall)

2) Biles

3) Paseka

4) Steingruber

5) Chusovitina
6) Olsen

Moreno, E. Downie, Karmakar, Miyakawa, Wang, Thanh and Lee Goim will fight for the two spots left in the event final.

4 horas atrás, OlympicsFan disse:

1) We should wait for the final decision, before we criticize.

2) Like i said before: Are you sure that Hernandez is superior to Biles at this point? Did you even watch the nationals? She was clearly overscored there, especially on uneven bars.

3) Its funny that you call it a political decision, because many american fans also called it a political decsion that Felix will run womens 4x100m relay instead of Prandini. There is no doubt that Felix and Douglas are much more popular than Prandini and Hernandez, but i doubt that the coaches really would allow some officials to tell them which one of those athletes to nominate. In my opinion Felix and Douglas (apparently) got nominated, because they have much more experience at this level and are able to perform when it matters. Hernandez and Prandini didnt show anything at the global stage so far.

For Germany only Scheder and Seitz will do a complete all-around, which is quite surprising, because Schäfer was the best german athlete in the all-around recently, apparently her uneven bars routine was weaker than that of all the other german athletes.

Alt will compete on every apparatus except for Floor, Bui will only do floor and uneven bars. I hope that we will be the best nation on uneven bars, surprisingly our second best apparatus should be balance beam. On vault we should be among the 8 best teams, even without Berger and Chusovitina. On floor we are extremely weak (like always) and probably wont be among the 10 best teams.

No one can beat Biles. I never said that. I said that Hernandez is the best gymnast behind Biles. All the other girls are fighting for silver and bronze. Funny thing is, Douglas and Raisman can seriously screw up and walk away without a medal in the all-around competition. I still think that the US gymnasts will finish 1-2 no matter what, but Hernandez is the second best here despite what political maneuvers they are trying to achieve.

Germany has made an Interesting choice when selecting Scheder and Seitz to compete in the all-around. They score so high on the uneven bars that it should compensate for the score they get on floor. Schafer should really concentrate on beam, which is her best chance of a final.

1 hora atrás, heywoodu disse:

Interesting, bookmakers aren't even offering odds for Andrade :p 

d985e42cbd.png

Though I hope you're right, beacuse seeing someone from out of the big nations medal in the all-around would be great fun :)

On paper, she is the best suited for bronze thanks to massive difficulty on all fronts (6.3 on vault, 6.5 on the uneven bars, 5.9 on the balance beam, 6.1 on floor). Problem is she might never go for full difficulty (though she said she will) and even if she does, she will need to stay focused in order to hit every routine. If she hits, she will get a medal. We will see.