website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Tickets, Trips and Experiences

5 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Oh, c'mon! It is absolutely worth it. I would have gone for it as well but stock-out meant I chose the relays :)

I've never understood why an event taking less than 10 seconds should be the talk of the day for one entire day during Olympics or athletics championships and even less why anyone would pay so much more to get to that one event instead of several much more interesting events.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

There are always the sports hipsters who say that it's just overrated (including me), but there is simply no denying that in terms of mass enthousiasm and interest, the men's 100m final is the showcase event of the Olympics. It's cool if a Simone Biles wins 3 gold medals, but outside of Americans, gymnastics lovers and people like us, nobody cares. A ton of people will change channels to watch the men's 100m though, worldwide :)

I am well aware of that, but I will never understand why. I guess I will turn of my tv after the 400m and go to bed or maybe watch a bit of basketball.

24 minutes ago, Agger said:

I've never understood why an event taking less than 10 seconds should be the talk of the day for one entire day during Olympics or athletics championships and even less why anyone would pay so much more to get to that one event instead of several much more interesting events.

Those 10 seconds are going to be the most entertaining 10 seconds of the games. There is a surety that the atmosphere in the stadium is going to be electric. It would automatically create a moment to remember and memories to talk about :)

37 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Those 10 seconds are going to be the most entertaining 10 seconds of the games. There is a surety that the atmosphere in the stadium is going to be electric. It would automatically create a moment to remember and memories to talk about :)

And for me it's 10 of the most uninteresting seconds ;) (OK, maybe not, considering that there will be quite a bit of 10 seconds periods during other sports)

1 hour ago, Agger said:

I am well aware of that, but I will never understand why. I guess I will turn of my tv after the 400m and go to bed or maybe watch a bit of basketball.

If there is sports going on, my TV is not going off. I don't give a damn if it's the completely random 400m hurdles, the men's 100m final or the Olympic final in watching grass grow...my TV stays on. :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Suneet said:

In terms of excitement and atmosphere, there is never anything better than the moment of the men's 100m final. Everyone has their favourite events, but that one wins every time in terms of atmosphere and "feel" :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I will be in Rio at the Olympics since 11th until 14th August.

:cheer:

My schedule.

11 August

Canoe slalom
Men's Canoe Double (C2): semi-final
Women's Kayak (K1): semi-final
Men's Canoe Double (C2): final
Women's Kayak (K1): final

12 August

Badminton

Morning games

Handball

Women's - Russian Federation x Argentina
Women's - Korea x France

13 August

Water Polo
Women's - China x Spain
Women's - Russian Federation x Italy
Women's - Australia x Brazil
Women's - Hungary x United States

Voleyball

Men's - Poland x Russian Federation
Men's - United States x France

Swimming
Women's 50m Freestyle: final
Men's 1500m Freestyle: final
Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay: final
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay: final

14 August

Basketball

Men's - United States x France

Voleyball

Women's - Japan x Argentina

Women's - Brazil x Russian Federation

I have excess ticket for men's basketball game Australia - the United States (10 August). Unfortunanely I can not be in time for it.

As much as I like Totallympics, is a little hard to have time to visit this forum with all of the things the Olympic Games has to offer (for instance, is 3AM here now, and I'm only knowing about some medalists now - congrats Argentina!). But I plan to share some things about about my experiences, so here's a little bit of what happened this weekend.

I arrived in Rio at Saturday morning and soon after lunch I went to the Deodoro Olympic Park, which takes forever from the apartment I'm at. For instance, from the first Deodoro access to the Shooting Center, you have to walk for about 30 minutes. Fortunately, I arrived at the venue few minutes before the 10m Air Pistol medal, which gave Brazil the first medal of these Olympic Games. It was an absolutely amazing moment and it was great to be there. Felipe Wu :bowdown:

Soon after, I went to the Field Hockey Center with tickets for a session that brought two exciting matches. First one was Argentina vs USA in Women's. There was fans from both teams, but I have to say that argentines really "invaded" Rio, they're everywhere! Very passionate fans, even in defeat. Next match was the first ever Brazilian Hockey men's team match in the history of Olympics and man... they're just not good. That didn't stop the brazilian fans (me included), that cheered every defense of our guys :d In the return for home at the train, argentine fans singing all the way - some healthy rivalry with brazilians, all in good fun.

Saturday was a great first day but incredibly tiresome (as I have predicted), so on Sunday I slept a little more than I should. I had tickets for Tennis in the Olympic Park starting at 10AM, but I went only after lunch. Park is huge (as one may expect) and you have a lot to do there beside the sport events. I had no idea about the schedule so it was surprising that, by the end of the day, I had seen matches of three Tennis super stars (an two of them lost). First match was Nadal vs Delbonis, dominance from the spanish. After that it was time for Teliana Pereira but I decided to see what was happening in the secondary courts and went to the Makarova vs Buyukakcay match because I like the russian, but somehow I ended up rooting for the turkish like pretty much everyone, including her coach beside us. After Makarova's win, I went back to Court 1 and Pereira already had lost :wall:

For the night, two Doubles matches. First the Williams sisters vs Safarova/Strycova. Ecstatic to see Serena (again, I had no idea about the schedule). Lots of czech coaches/athletes (? - they were wearing the official uniforms), that were very happy with their win. Ready to go home, I hear there was going to be another Doubles match, now with Bellucci/Sá vs the Murrays. Aside from the Shooting medal, this was probably my favourite moment so far. Amazing atmosphere in the arena, brazilian joy. Transportation/access perfect, much easier than Deodoro - for which I will return this Monday afternoon for Basketball/Rugby competitions.

A little bit about days 3 and 4 in Rio. On Monday, I returned to Deodoro (much more easier way this time) with tickets for the afternoon Women's Basketball session at the Youth Arena. Unfortunately I couldn't arrive in time for the first match, but the second one was pretty amazing. Huge presence of canadian and serbian fans, which left me a bit surprised. Incredible how Canada turned the match in its favour. Fans went wild (see the video below). Off topic: Canada's coach outfit is fierce as hell.

After the match, I enjoyed the attractions of Deodoro Olympic Park, something that I didn't have time on Saturday. Among them: the FEI stand, the Rio 2016 sign, and the Rio Fest, which surprisingly brought amazing classical music to the Park. By the end of the afternoon, I went to the Women's Rugby finals. Huge stadium for this sport, but mostly filled up with fans (a lot of people from New Zealand). Spotted: Vinicius, the mascot, first time I saw him at a venue, and he really got funny dance moves. Also spotted, Boxing Kangaroo, cheering alongside the Australian fans. Funny moment: aussie fan, clearly drunk, is interviewed, thinks Australia won the World Cup :wacko: Joy for australians, sadness for kiwis, but respect above all. As far as i'm concerned, this sport has passed the Olympics "test", very entertaining.

This Tuesday was my first day without sports competitions, so I tried to visit some Rio spots and nations houses. I started the afternoon visiting the Baixo Suíça (House of Switzerland) at the Lagoa. Beautiful space and a lot to do there (also good food). Unfortunately the chocolate wasn't available anymore at the store, but I plan to return there. In the big screen, the Shooting bronze final in which Switzerland won its first medal at Rio. Not a lot of people seemed to care, at least not as much as when Brazil won its Basketball match against Spain.

At late afternoon, I went to the Denmark pavilion (Heart of Denmark) in Ipanema. The house isn't huge like the swiss one, but has some nice and interactive spaces - including the "happy wall" in which some people managed to draw "Fora Temer" :p Electronic music sunset session with DJ Kant, a very nice guy. Right beside it, the Lego house, a lot of children so I didn't even attempted to enter. A few meters away, the German house, but it was closed. Stayed in the beach a little bit, beautiful view. Bought some things at Ipanema stores, great neighborhood (hope to stay there when I return to Rio sometime in the future). First time I came back to the apartment before 10PM, especially because tomorrow I will have my first morning session.

This Wednesday, Archery in Sambodromo and Beach Volleyball in Copacabana.

A little bit about days 5, 6 and 7 in Rio. My Wednesday started with a very chilly morning session of Archery at the Sambodromo. The very first session I went in which the attendance wasn't great, but I almost didn't go because of the climate. I'm glad I went because it was a nice session of a sport I haven't seen before and there was some nice mexican fans that were very happy about their athlete's performance. Also: quick Archery lesson and practice for fans (I'm terrible). Then comes the rain... Beach Volleyball at afternoon and early night left me completely soaked, but this certainly didn't stop the very excited (and crazy) brazilian crowd. Best thing about this session: meet @Felipe, very very nice guy :thumbup:. For the last match (Venezuela vs Costa Rica), most people left, so we moved for nicer seats and maybe some of you saw us on TV :lol:

Thursday was a much nicer day. Again, I went to Deodoro, first time on the X Park. Canoe Slalom venue is one of the most beautiful things I saw in my life (yes, I know...). Beautiful sun, beautiful fans (and hot summer bods), exciting finals. So so happy for Slovakia, great fans (I made the video below for @hckosice :p). Wish I could stay longer at the venue, but had tickets for Women's Basketball. Arriving at the Deodoro Park, huge crowd for the fan fest, really felt the Olympic spirit seeing so much people from different nations celebrating. Briefly saw Felipe on the way to Basketball (he was going to Rugby and I believe @hukbrazil was also there - but I still haven't met him!). Elimination of Brazil, but unconditional support of the fans. Japan vs Australia was a much more exciting match, for a moment I really thought the japanese were going to win it all. One of the best days so far.

Friday started in a dreadful way. Yes, rain again! Arrived a little late at the Olympic Park, but still at the first time of Brazil vs Angola and Handball. The Future Arena is probably the one which I most felt the energy of the fans, really a "cauldron", and I believe our team could have great results with the crowd support. Next, very close match beetween Netherlands and Sweden, and the result (tie) was deserved. On midday, the sun appeared! :bowdown:So I took the afternoon to see a lot of the Park's attractions: live site (saw our Boxing win that virtually guaranteed us a bronze medal), Coca Cola room (who doesn't want free drinks, even if it is Coca Cola?), Bradesco stands (with the mascots Vinicius and Tom show), Rio Megastore (pretty expensive shit), among other things. At night, some Water Polo with Brazil being defeated by Greece. Didn't saw the other matches because: tired AF.

My impression of this first week in Rio is very good. The city is really something and I'm already planning to come back in the future. Competition clusters are distant from each other, but I'm used to it by now. The only thing I didn't like so much were the rainy days. I'm from Northeast and is pretty much hot most of the year there - i.e. I HATE COLD DAYS! Hope it's a sunny Olympics from now on. Sports-wise, it's been pretty rough for Brazil, hope we can surpass the 17 medals from London. Below, a video from the reaction here in front of the apartment I'm staying after Brazil's win in Women's Football. The street is very loud but I don't mind. It's full of foreigners these days and I can hear argentines chanting right now that "Messi is better than Neymar". I think nobody doubts this ;)

For the weekend: Golf, Men's Basketball, and a tour on some Rio spots/Olympic Boulevard.