website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Board Games / Card Games / Trading Card Games

thiago_simoes

What are your favorite board games, card games and trading card games? Are there traditional board/card games specific to your nation? Are there online options for one to learn how to play your favorite games? Are you a fan of Trading Card Games? Do you have any recommendations?

Coup. It’s a card game where you have specific characters that can do certain actions. Your goal is to kill everyone else’s characters. You can do that by amassing seven coins (you can 1 or more (depending on your characters (everyone has two)), or by using a special character action to kill another player’s character. The catch is you can lie about everything. However, if you’re caught in a lie, you lose a character.

One Night Ultimate Werewolves is fun too. It’s essentially Mafia, but with more roles and slightly different rules.

Loveletter (a card game) is fun too. 

I’ve never played World Championship Russian Roulette (board game), but it looks hella fun.

There’s a bunch of other games I can recommend, but those are my favorites currently.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

36 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

What are your favorite board games, card games and trading card games? Are there traditional board/card games specific to your nation? Are there online options for one to learn how to play your favorite games? Are you a fan of Trading Card Games? Do you have any recommendations?

Traditional board games that I have played is congklak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asian_mancala), I think there is an app about that in Google Play. There is also dam-daman which is the Javanese version of draughts.

I used to be super interested with trading card games. In my school days, YuGiOh was a big hit, lots of us dueled before the first lesson starts where unfortunate students get their cards confiscated. Duel Masters and Pokemon were also quite popular. Some also played Magic The Gathering (MTG), where I love the funny/witty flavour text of the cards (the same case with Duel Masters - they came from the same company). MTG has the online version on Steam called MTG Arena.

Nowadays board game cafes are quite popular, I enjoyed Coup (like @Olympian1010) and Drakon (a board game where you take turns in creating tiles to get coin, and the tiles have their own power) when hanging out there with my friends.

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

Nowadays board game cafes are quite popular, I enjoyed Coup (like @Olympian1010) and Drakon (a board game where you take turns in creating tiles to get coin, and the tiles have their own power) when hanging out there with my friends.

Coup is the shit! I have a group of old high school friends I play with when we’re all in town (and when Covid isn’t around). We will literally play for 4-5 hours. We’ve come up with some rule variations as well (Everyone gets three characters when there’s four players, you can always take one coin no matter what). I always begin every game by proclaiming that I have two Dukes :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

If you have steam, I’ve heard about something called “Tabletop Simulator.” I’m not really sure how it works though. I just know you can play board games online with your friends using it.

@Griff88 Trading card games were pretty much out by the time I was in elementary school. People still played Pokeman here and there, but it was all about Beyblades when I was in middle school. I must of had like 25 of those things, and they weren’t cheap!

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

If you have steam, I’ve heard about something called “Tabletop Simulator.” I’m not really sure how it works though. I just know you can play board games online with your friends using it.

Yes, I'm intrigued by it, but I believe that there are only online modes (i.e., no single player versions of the games with AI opponents). While it would be easy to find someone to play the most famous games, my favorite game is Hanafuda Koi Koi (a Japanese card game), and I'm sure it would be extremely hard to find people interested in playing it. I bought a specific game on Steam named Koi Koi Japan, so I can play it against the computer and hopefully find some online matches too. It's quite fun and currently it's very cheap (I paid, like, 1.5 USD for the game and all DLCs). 

I loved the Pokémon cards when I was a kid :cheer: But I don't remember ever actually playing the 'main' game one was supposed to play with it, nobody at school did that, we just had other games to end up with more cards :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I loved the Pokémon cards when I was a kid :cheer: But I don't remember ever actually playing the 'main' game one was supposed to play with it, nobody at school did that, we just had other games to end up with more cards :p 

Yeah, I also never played the real game since no one really play it at school.. More into collecting and bragging to friends

2 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Yeah, I also never played the real game since no one really play it at school.. More into collecting and bragging to friends

And being so jealous of my elementary/middle school buddy who had a GameBoy and so could play the Pokémon games.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!