website statistics

Speed Skating 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Dennis

Looks like :GUA is the next country moving inline speed skaters onto the ice. 

Dalia SOBERANIS has competed in some races. Her times are not good enough to qualify for the Olympics, but for a first time race, her times are very good imo. https://speedskatingresults.com/index.php?p=46&n=72

With more training and races under her belt, maybe she can aim for qualification.

@Olympian1010

36 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Dalia SOBERANIS has competed in some races. Her times are not good enough to qualify for the Olympics, but for a first time race, her times are very good imo. https://speedskatingresults.com/index.php?p=46&n=72

With more training and races under her belt, maybe she can aim for qualification.

@Olympian1010

Yep, familiar with the roller exploits of Soberanis. She was a “hero” at the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games, since she stopped a Colombian sweep of the roller speed skating events. Her best event tends to be the 200m/300m time trial, but she’s decent in the 500m too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, intoronto said:

@Olympian1010

It's actually very good indeed. 42,7 in Salt Lake last season and 42,6 in Inzell two months ago, that is a very significant improvement already. 2022 is definitely going to be too early, but if she keeps it up, 2026 does not at all seem unrealistic. Cool!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, dcro said:

@heywoodu Any chance to see that outdoor/canal speed skating race this year?

Forecast for Amsterdam.

image.png

Weather forecast for Leeuwarden looks similar, but the general rule of thumb is that about two weeks of freezing temperatures are needed. How I’d love to see a Elfstedentocht. There hasn’t been one held in my lifetime :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Weather forecast for Leeuwarden looks similar, but the general rule of thumb is that about two weeks of freezing temperatures are needed. How I’d love to see a Elfstedentocht. There hasn’t been one held in my lifetime :(

There's already been a big no for natural ice marathons, presumably there's no way the Elfstedentocht will be held even if we have four weeks of -15 degrees. I also kinda hope it won't be, it would suck so bad to have an Elfstedentocht with no spectators....I'd rather keep on waiting for a rare chance to have a real one, with hundreds of thousands of people standing on the side of the canals at 4am.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 months later...

Hard crash for Sverre Lunde Pedersen during a bike training: ruptured spleen and fractures in both hands...hopefully he'll end up alright.