website statistics

Figure Skating 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

dcro

:CYP Cyprus just won a junior rhythm dance in Minsk with an impressive score of 67.11 ! :yikes:

Yeah, okay... It's actually two Russians competing for Cyprus, but still, with a score like that they should be able to qualify for the Olympics quite easily. :p

#banbestmen

• 1 month later...

Norway controls FIS already. Do they really have to control ISU as well? Hell no. Name me ONE Norwegian figure skater not named Sonja Henie who won a World Championship gold medal :lol:  I'm pretty sure they will be put back to their place and rightfully so. Norway in figure skating doesn't mean anything. It's like Romania or Poland trying to tell USA how the baseball World Series should be run :p

A case can definitely be made that Norway is on to something. Perhaps their “lack of competitive skaters” helps them to have a more neutral judgement on proposals like this. Other officials, athletes, and countries have suggested these changes, I think they were just the federation that put it forward.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Raising the competitive age solves nothing. You'd still take up figure skating at age 4 or 5 to begin with. Herein lies the problem. Physical injuries always take their toll more on a sport you have to start very early to ever stand a chance. You can't take up figure skating at 10 if you want to be a competitive pro. Raising the age won't stop having career-ending back injuries at age 21 instead of 19 for instance :crazy:

Anorexia? Geez, what else is new. Good thing USA sucks at ski jumping or else we'd here more bullshit like that given how strict BMI in ski jumping is :whistle: But thankfully USA, France and UK don't care about ski jumping so we can have anorexia over there!

Of course this push makes a whole lot political sense if the Western Europe & USA want to influence the Russian dominance of the sport. I'd laugh my ass off if this somehow gets approved and 17 year old Russians still kick the 17 year old Americans & French all over the ice rink :roflmao:

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

I think Norway should instead get credible asthma diagnosis to support their institutional doping in Nordic events.

I heard three Norwegian skiers had asthma attacks when reading this, thankfully Chris Froome was there and was able to lend them his inhalers :yes

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...