website statistics

Curling 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

NearPup

59 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That's how live works

Yeah, but that's what I mean: this is content that is much better if it's available for interested people to watch later. I mean, how many people are interested in Guyana's curling team in the first place and how many of them are live at the few moments in which it's available? They're just missing out on a much bigger audience.

But alright, if they're having fun, it's fine I guess :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Work as started on the Nigerian Curling Federation’s new Curling Center. This will be the first purpose built curling in Africa!

https://worldcurling.org/2020/06/nigeria-rink/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 13/06/2020 at 18:09, Monzanator said:

Guyana at the Olympics in curling? Hmm... as long as Canada and USA suffocate all the quota for Americas I don't see anyone else qualifying from that region whatsoever.

On 13/06/2020 at 18:34, Grassmarket said:

And even if they changed the quota to allow 3 teams from the Americas

So you, guys, say that there is a continental allocation for the curling at the Olympics? Interesting.

On 13/06/2020 at 18:31, Monzanator said:

I don't think we'll see Guyana in curling at WOG anytime in the XXI century tbh.

Brave words at the beginning of just the third decade.

1 minute ago, Vojthas said:

So you, guys, say that there is a continental allocation for the curling at the Olympics? Interesting.

Brave words at the beginning of just the third decade.

The quota is in place for the World Championships though and without that, you can kiss the Olympics goodbye.

It's not about two decades, it's about the 100+ years of Guyana fielding a team in any team event at the Olympics. The grand total is ZERO so I don't think the first team they ever qualify for the Olympics will happen in curling of all sports. It's called deduction.

Guyana has never even fielded a single athlete during Winter Games, not even some Habsburg monarchy descendant living in South America or some aged American skier or whomever else :lol:

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The quota is in place for the World Championships though and without that, you can kiss the Olympics goodbye.

I suppose you haven't heard about Pre-Q Tournament which came into the Beijing 2022 Qualification System. Welcome to the third decade of the XXI century, then.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's not about two decades, it's about the 100+ years of Guyana fielding a team in any team event at the Olympics.

:GUY NOC - created:1935, recognized: 1948

You didn't pass the exam - either from maths or history.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Guyana has never even fielded a single athlete during Winter Games

Maybe it's because they just started curling. Interesting way of thinking - if you don't have a skater or alpine skier, you surely won't have a curling team.

BTW, curling is the easiest way to get to the Olympics from totally sport zero - you can reach the top national level in quite few years of regular training and if you get to the National Team... well, enough to say :TUR became the WCF member in 2009 and next year they will play at Europeans in women's divison A. Just a decade.

• 2 months later...

The following events have been cancelled:

The Pacific-Asia Curling Championships 2020

The Le Gruyère AOP Curling Championships 2020

The Americas Challenge 2020

The World Qualification Event 2021

The World Junior-B Curling Championships 2021

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

:DOM:IND:KUW all admitted as members of World Curling. 

More importantly, was Poland kicked out?