website statistics

Curling 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

NearPup

• 1 month later...

I think it's time to start the Beijing 2022 topic as we know the ITOs for the Games.

Among them Marta Pluta - if the WCF nominates a skip of a national team as an umpire, it shows how much they believe in :POL:(

One of the Guyanese curlers was on the WCF’s Instagram today. He did a pretty series of stories that basically explained his background, how the federation was created, and the challenges the national team faces. He seems like a chill dude that the other curlers seem to get along with well. Guyana definitely has one of the best jerseys out of the all the national teams. I was a nice little watch if you’re interested (I think it will disappear in 3/4 hours). 

The Guyanese Curling Federation is up to 6 members (3 male/3 female). They are trying to recruit more players as well. It would be cool to see them at the Olympics one day. I think they have some quality players amongst their ranks right now, so hopefully they’re able to maintain their federation. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

One of the Guyanese curlers was on the WCF’s Instagram today. He did a pretty series of stories that basically explained his background, how the federation was created, and the challenges the national team faces. He seems like a chill dude that the other curlers seem to get along with well. Guyana definitely has one of the best jerseys out of the all the national teams. I was a nice little watch if you’re interested (I think it will disappear in 3/4 hours). 

The Guyanese Curling Federation is up to 6 members (3 male/3 female). They are trying to recruit more players as well. It would be cool to see them at the Olympics one day. I think they have some quality players amongst their ranks right now, so hopefully they’re able to maintain their federation. 

So they have some cool content and only make it available for a few hours? What kind of nonsense is that? :lol: 

I mean, I get that kids these days want to show for a few hours that they ate a cake, did their hair and saw a pretty sunset or something, but what's up with a federation pulling this? This is exactly the kind of content that should not be available for such a short time.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

So they have some cool content and only make it available for a few hours? What kind of nonsense is that? :lol: 

I mean, I get that kids these days want to show for a few hours that they ate a cake, did their hair and saw a pretty sunset or something, but what's up with a federation pulling this? This is exactly the kind of content that should not be available for such a short time.

That's how live works

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Guyana at the Olympics in curling? Hmm... as long as Canada and USA suffocate all the quota for Americas I don't see anyone else qualifying from that region whatsoever.

Btw, I don't seem to recall Guyana fielding a team sport in Olympic Games history? Summer Games, let alone Winter!

Just now, Monzanator said:

Guyana at the Olympics in curling? Hmm... as long as Canada and USA suffocate all the quota for Americas I don't see anyone else qualifying from that region whatsoever.

Btw, I don't seem to recall Guyana fielding a team sport in Olympic Games history? Summer Games, let alone Winter!

Yep, Guyana has yet to qualify in a team sport. They have some tradition in Football and Rugby, but they aren’t really good at either. They did qualify a 7s team for the Pan Ams, but they were pretty much destroyed by everyone else in the tournament.

Guyana is the third best men’s team in the Americas. They beat Brazil twice during the 2018 Americas Challenge. They have also competed at the Mixed Doubles World Championships, but they haven’t had any significant results yet.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yep, Guyana has yet to qualify in a team sport. They have some tradition in Football and Rugby, but they aren’t really good at either. They did qualify a 7s team for the Pan Ams, but they were pretty much destroyed by everyone else in the tournament.

Guyana is the third best men’s team in the Americas. They beat Brazil twice during the 2018 Americas Challenge. They have also competed at the Mixed Doubles World Championships, but they haven’t had any significant results yet.

That's the problem, they will have to get some significant results in order to change the continental quota. The last time curling changed any quota was when Japan was unable to defend their silver medals in 2017 WCh since Asia only had two places in the tournament and now they have three to accomodate China, South Korea and Japan.

Not to mention there are always fewer teams at Olympics than WChamps. I don't think we'll see Guyana in curling at WOG anytime in the XXI century tbh.

9 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

And even if they changed the quota to allow 3 teams from the Americas then one of the bigger countries would immediately put a team together.

Yeah, I bet there are enough Americans with Hispanic background who can't make the USA team but would easily make some South America country competitive. Same as happens in baseball where Italy, Netherlands & Israel are supposedly doing well only for their rosters to combine 100% from players born & bred in USA & the Carribean Dutch colonies :p